SRAM X7 9-Speed Rear Derailleur

The X.7 has a beefy, spacious alloy construction intentionally designed for superb mud clearance from springs and pivots. 1:1 actuation ratio requires less shifting effort from rider. Limit screws face forward for easier adjustments. Compatible with all

Terence   Cross Country Rider [Feb 05, 2014]
Strength:

The SRAM X7 Rear Derailleur came stock on my 29er and so far it has worked flawlessly. I have ridden thousands of kilometres on this derailleur and it has only needed to be adjusted three times - each time a few flicks of the barrel adjuster has been enough to fix any wandering or skipping that works its way in, and it has kept the chain tight and properly in gear even while bouncing off logs, getting air, or switching gears over trail ruts. Its performance for the price is simply outstanding to me: it is a really good budget derailleur that does the trick nicely for a variety of riders. I have heard it has durability problems from other reviewers, but I have smacked it really hard during wipeouts expecting it to break, and so far it has not (despite some cosmetic dings here and there). It shifts relatively smoothly and keeps you going fast. All I can really ask for.

I have ridden smoother shifting rear derailleurs than this (Shimano Alivio, Shimano Deore), and the cogs are plastic, which makes me wonder how long they will last given my intensive usage. The carbon fibre bling is nice, but I would have preferred metal or alloy cogs instead. Ahh well.

This derailleur is a good low maintenance rear mech with good shifting quality, good body strength, and budget price meant to attract entry level mountain goers like myself. It has performed excellently and given the price, there is not really much more I could need. Yea it is probably "heavy" to some. Yea the cogs are plastic. Yea it is not the smoothest shift I have ever had. But at the end of the day, when I finish my ride with no missed or skipped shifts, have to do a maximum of 1 adjustment per month (again, just with the barrel adjuster), and don't have to worry that the wipeout I just experienced has cracked it or anything of the like because it can take a little beating, I can just walk inside and have a cold one confident in its abilities.

4 Chillis Overall because I think anyone could enjoy this derailleur at a cheap entry price, as long as you just stick to XC and Single Track Rides. If your doing Downhill or Enduro or anything super intense, I would recommend buying something without plastic cogs...but you already knew that didn't you?

4 Chillis for Value because hey, its extremely affordable for the poor cyclists like me that would rather spend their money on booze, and although not performing flawlessly, does a pretty admirable job.

Similar Products Used: Shimano entry level stuff (Alivio, Deore, etc.)
SRAM X5
Jim   [Nov 11, 2013]
Strength:

Seems to work OK.

Compatible with 2 -TWO!- Freaking shifters?!?!?

Just brought home my '14 Mukluk 3 equipped with the X7 group. Only reason I give it two chili's is I was dumb enough not to do--enough--research, and it works so far. Amazing: the lengths that QBP's bike companies go to make their frames so damn versatile only to stick this proprietary POS on their complete bikes. Specifically, I thought I'd give the flat bar a couple months to see if I could get used to it, that thought lasted two days. Good thing I was looking for shifters before ordering a midge, otherwise the midge would already be on it's way. Turns out you have two style options to shift this thing: trigger style, or twist style, and those options are only available in a 7/8 clamp!! No thumbies, no bar-ends, no brifters, no anything you can use paul thumbie adaptors for, no nothing. So now I've got to either mod something or buy a Shimano RD. I understand I may be in a niche predicament, but its possible some will find irritations with this setup in other instances...

Rachel   [Sep 26, 2012]
Strength:

Came with my 29er, awesome for the price.

The mounting bracket snapped completely off, got lodge in my spokes during a ride and through me off my bike.

I will not be replacing it with the same one, thats for sure... looking into the X0 instead. I guess you get what you pay for? yep.

jmtbiker   [Sep 21, 2012]
Strength:

shifts well when still in 1 piece

poor quality, cage is half plastic, chain wheels break very easily.

Only use because they were OEM on my 2011 Trek Fuel EX 7, would choose Shimano in the future.

apbyte   All Mountain Rider [Jul 29, 2012]
Strength:

Good price, strong, nice cable routing, 1:1 shifting, works very well on bumpy terrain and doesnt make much sound

havent seen any

I use it on very bumpy forest roads/tracks, works great and I love it because it is also affordable for my budget

Similar Products Used: Shimano Alivio
wschruba   [May 08, 2012]
Strength:

Ease of installation, cable routing

play at derailler mount

This derailler was a pleasure to set up on the bike, and allowed me to shave off a few inches (and degrees) off my cable housing leading into the derailler, which, in turn, allowed to easier shifts.

The derailler, once mounted to specifications, still had a shocking amount of play. Once, however, the rest of the drive train was in place, it wound up being inconsequential, and indexing/shifting was flawless with some adjustment of cable tension.

My first impressions after riding it on three separate occasions are optimistic.

StabMasta   All Mountain Rider [May 07, 2012]
Strength:

Looks cool and somewhat cheap

Lots of play, shifter sticks, no barrel adjuster

I bought (2) 2011 medium cage X7's to replace my beat to crap X9 and another for my son's bike. After I installed the new rear derailleurs, I immediately noticed a great deal of play and it was hard to dial them in due to the movement. On the trail, my rear shifter is locking in the lower gears and it's becoming a real pain in the ass. I'm switching to Shimano once my credit card recovers from the damage of my last builds. Until then, I have to suffer with the Srap x7.

Similar Products Used: Sram x9, Shimano XT
HTR4EVR   Cross Country Rider [Apr 02, 2012]
Strength:

Still thinking about it....

Too tight, hard to get it in line with the cassette. Obviously is unaligned out of the box.

Totally disappointed. Product won't get in line and Price Point won't take your complaint unless you are a certify technician what makes their shopping safely advertisement totally bogus. Be careful. Read carefully the bad reviews here before you buy sram because they are true. I'm already moving away from SRAM and affording the loss. DO NOT BUY IT. If you want to upgrade your Deore system move up along their line.

Similar Products Used: My first and last...
David C   Weekend Warrior [Nov 11, 2011]
Strength:

Cheap, good look, strong, easy to service, durable, quality finish, not too heavy, good shifting.

None, nada, nevar, zero

I have 2 X-7. A 2009 9 spd long cage in silver body, black cage and a 2011 9 spd med cage in Storm Grey finish, alu cage.

The long cage has performed flawless on both bikes, precise shifting, easy and quick to adjust, nice cable routing after the clamp on this model year, easy to service the full assembly and shift nice even on uphills and multi upshifts at the same time. I use X-4 shifters with it and work great. Now imagine how good it would feel with X0 shifters xD

The med cage has a very nice grey finish and same flawless performance has the other one. I use it on my FR bike and I can't complain at all. Used with SX-4 shifters right now.

The X-7 rd line is just great. very affordable and amazing performance. Rd's are expendables parts, so why invest into a more expensive rd simply to save a few grams ? Get better shifters and you're set. I never had a single problem with them and only needed cable stretch adjust once simply by using the shifter's barrel adjuster.