SRAM X.0 Rear 10-Speed Derailleur

X.0 Rear 10-Speed

With a potent mix of high-grade materials, including a forged aluminum body, titanium spring, and reinforced carbon composite pulley cages, the Sram X0 is a pro-ready, 10-speed rear derailleur that's lighter, stiffer, smoother and flat-out better looking than anything out there.

LB Kloppers   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2015]
Strength:

I have been using X0 RD for more than 4 years now. The first time was an self imposed upgrade and it worked wonders. The second came with my latest Bike and I have had zero issues. I ride up to 700km/month and very little of that is asphalt. Its a matter of fact that 2 years was spent on “roads” in Madagascar and backup service simply didn’t exist. I had enough confidence to venture out in these rural areas. When out mountain biking falling comes naturally, so falls there was, but breakages ...never. The last one I rode through some rather challenging endurance races and the only thing thus far replaced was a set of wheels worn down to almost nothing. BTW the RD still worked!

Cost of parts and even in sunny South Africa, availability

I have had an X9 and before that I had XT. For me the XT sucked and with the amount of usage I expose my gear to and the difference in working quality, I fail to understand any bias towards Shimano. Since mine has not given me any reason to discard, I have not going to. SRAM product just works for me

Similar Products Used: XT and XT Shaddow
Paul   [Sep 27, 2012]
Strength:

Looked nice while it lasted

Very brittle broke for no apparent reason

Very dissappointed with this product and SRAMS warranty. My X0 broke without warning after very little use. It was sent back to SRAM as a warranty claim but I was told it was down to wear and tear!!! I ended up fitting an X9 as a replacement which has been superb so far

sbcjac   [Jun 19, 2012]
Strength:

Shifts smooth until it breaks

Breaks easily and for no apparent reason.

I got the X.0 long cage on a 2x10 stock with my bike, which is made-up of X.0 and X.9 components. About 150 miles into use, the cage, which is carbon, snapped off on a mid-filled ride. I figured I must have sunk down enough to have dragged the cage on some rocks. Assuming it was my fault, I bought a replacement X.0. It was fine for about 400 miles of x-country trails. I wound-up on a pretty rocky climb and the thing snapped again. This time, I found someones 2mm thick helmet-cushine wrapped in one of the pullies of the cage. That was enough to snap it. What a piece of junk. I am going down to the X.9 and sticking with steel components this time.

afullsodacan   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2012]
Strength:

Precise shifting, quick, doesn't hesitate (unless horribly adjusted). Lightweight

hex bolt that attaches it to the derailleur hanger seems a bit weak as the head of it is somewhat stripped

First of all, I actually have the older 9 speed version. This is by far the nicest derailleur I have ever owned. It came on a my Giant that I got on Craigslist for a REALLY good deal. It works great. It shifts smoothly, precisely, and quickly when adjusted properly. It shifts how I want it to when I want it to, nuff said. I hardly ever seem to have trouble with it throwing a chain or misshifting, unless I really take a hard hit. If you can dish out the cash (or luck out and get it on a bike as an added bonus like me) I would say definitely get it. You should not be disappointed. It shifts like a dream. I give it 4 chilis for value because it seems overly expensive, although, I guess it is worth it.

Similar Products Used: SRAM X4 derailleur
ehigh   Downhiller [Jul 31, 2011]
Strength:

My model is the 2011 Sram-Truvativ X0 rear derailleur. I believe the one in the picture is a 2010. I have heard that the 2011 is stronger in some aspects compared to the 2010. Anyways, on with my review

At first, I was skeptical with this derailleur. I decided to pick up the entire X0 drivetrain. The only regret I have is that it may have been smarter to save some money at the expense of about 30 grams by getting the X9 R/D, which is the same X-glide technology with just a few heavier parts.
Oh well, this one has been holding up spectacularly. I will make sure to update this upon any problems.

I am not a DH rider, but I'm not XC or a "weekend warrior" (whatever that is)
I do a lot of all mountain riding and some light freeride. I'm hear on Vancouver Island right now and it has been on my bike for some large drops, jumps, and gaps. It seems like some of the peole talking down on this R/D are making phony reviews simply to spite the R/D for whatever reason because some of it sounds like complete crap. You can't expe t a derailleur to take a full smack to a rock without breaking the cage, so no this isn't indestructible. It has taken some good crashes, that is for sure!

(wonders about people who have made weird complaints on this R/D)

I want to be overly critical with this piece because of how expensive it is... but I believe that most of the problems people encounter with this R/D are based on people not installing it properly. This derailleur handles amazingly and shifts great. I'll update any problems.

Great derailleur, unless you really want the entire X0 name or really care for the 30 grams saved, I would probably recommend X9 to most people.

I give is 4 stars for value rating because it is very expensive and only 30 grams lighter than the X9 R/D. X9 is essentially the same derailleur, just a few differences here and there that ultimately result in a more durable R/D.

5 overall rating because it does rock and is is a 'sexy' R/D

Similar Products Used: X7, Deore
Blackbeerthepirate   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2011]
Strength:

Light, crisp shifts, easy adjustments, chicks dig it.

That carbon scares me.

Shifts are quicker than a greased rabbit out of a teflon hat. Easy to adjust. My wife thinks it's pretty. I've had nothing but good luck so far with this thing. I've smacked it a couple of times, once really good, and no problems.

Similar Products Used: XT, XTR, 105, Ultegra
Kaytee   Cross Country Rider [Apr 21, 2011]
Strength:

Looks good, light weight

Broke in less than 6 miles.

I previously used the X.7 on my old Santa Cruz Blur and liked it very much. Shifted well and consistently. When I decided to trick out a new bike I thought the X.0 might be a good choice for derailleurs. I was 6 miles into a 12 mile ride..first ride on the bike, I might add..when the rear derailleur just gave up. It seemed like the spring that keeps the pulley cage taut broke. I shortened the chain and turned my new bike into a single speed to limp out. Went to the X.9 and so far it works like a charm. Shifts criply. I read some reviews afterwards on the X.0 and I don't think I'm the first one to have it fall apart.

Similar Products Used: X.7, XTR, X.9
dartingd   Racer [Apr 11, 2011]
Strength:

Shifts quick, very responsive. I never had shifting issues with it.

I really wanted this to work, as my SRAM road stuff broke so much I just ended up going Shimano. I've had the full SRAM X0 2x10 group for about 3 months now, and yesterday the pivot where the upper pulley is broke somehow. Pretty much shows me SRAM makes junk period nowadays. I'm going to get a price on XTR today...

I'm going to find out what the issue is today. If it's minor, I'll keep the X0. If it is in fact broke due to defect, I'll be getting some XTR this week.

Similar Products Used: SLX/XT 3x10
TatiBear   Racer [Apr 04, 2011]
Strength:

Light, Quick

XC and light AM only, don't bang this on rocks.

Shifts are quick and crisp. I know folks love XX, but this is good stuff, too. It feels like Sram Red for MTB. It held up fine under race conditions. It's worth the money.

Similar Products Used: X.0 9sp, XT 9sp, XTR 9sp
judog44   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2011]
Strength:

The 1 to 1 ratio has a smooth feel.

Not very strong. Expensive. Design makes it hard to remove the rear wheel on the go. Not much lighter then XT (which is much cheaper) and not nearly as dependable.

This derailleur seemed great at first. I was impressed with the smooth shifting. After using it a bit on the trails and giving it a little thrashing i have come to the conclusion that it sucks compared to the XT shadow rear derailleur i use on all my other bikes. It is frustrating to remove the rear wheel to say the least (not an issue at all with XT) mostly because i know how easy it is to remove the wheel on my bikes that have the XT derailleur. After a couple falls the derailleur started not shifting accurately, seems maybe the hanger bent, which i have corrected, but i just do not have confidence in the part at all anymore. My XT shadow derailleurs have been through the same and never any issues. XT Shadow is just so much better, there is a reason Shimano parts weigh a little more, its called durability.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT Shadow.