Shimano XT Rear Derailleur

XT Rear

Shimano XT Rear Derailleur

AWDfreak   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 2011]
Strength:

Quick instantaneous shifts, tougher than regular Deore

Most likely expensive when it was brand new

Truly a very satisfying and dependable rear derailleur. I have NEVER gotten it smashed by my spokes like my previous derailleurs.

Quick shifts and reliability that even impresses me (most of the "heavy" stuff I ride in is mud).

I can only say I am impressed with it.

This is the derailleur for those who really enjoy exploring or spirited riding on trails. If you ride on terrain or conditions that will punish rear derailleurs (for me, lots of mud), the Deore XT isn't such a bad choice.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore, crappy Shimano Altus and crappy Shimano Acera, decent Shimano Alivio
firedude123   Weekend Warrior [Sep 24, 2010]
Strength:

quick shifts (immediate)

none yet

just replaced my old xtr rd with this shadow long cage. easy to setup, fast shifts, just what i'm looking for!!!
Nothing bad to say yet. only 15 miles on it but i'll put many more on it and comment again. Just took it for a hard ride, great shifting (thats whatit's for right?). the chain seems to be tighter, (i guess it's supposed to be).
for the price you can't beat it

Similar Products Used: xt, xtr (old style)
56cbr600rr   Racer [May 11, 2010]
Strength:

Decent derailleur.

Fragile, pricey, sensitive to mud/debris

I've used three xt rear derailleurs in the last 11 months. One came on my Trek eX8. Once came on my Giant Anthem x2. I also ride at least 12 miles 3 times a week at our local trails, and sometimes more. Also, race occasionally. My rear derailleur developed excessive play left to right and made shifting iffy. My first derailleur mysteriously got caught in my rear wheel on a flat section with nothing around to get caught in it. Before this happened I know it too started getting loose side to side and somewhat sloppy. Also the jockey wheel teeth wore down. I think all this contributed to the failure. The new xt rear derailleur also has the same slop. Also, i've replaced the jockey wheels with xtr wheels because mine worn out.

Recenely I was installing some cables on a friends extremely neglected SRAM derailleur and shifter set. It was dry, old, and abused and it shifted more precise than mine ever did.

I now have on order a x9 rear derailleur and x0 shifters.

mikebsc7   Cross Country Rider [Apr 10, 2010]
Strength:

Makes shifting more practical, XT is light and durable

Not available in Shadow

Being able to shift to an easier gear while climbing is much more practical than the traditional top-normal RD's. I'm never going back!

Similar Products Used: XTR Top Normal RD
Piperoklis   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 2009]
Strength:

Very solid construction, bomb proof, reliable sifting performance

A relative one- it needs to be adjusted regularly

This is a review for the 1998 Shimano Deore XT rear derailleur. I've been using it under often extreme conditions (mud, dust, crossing river beds, crossing sea water). Twice it was hit so hard by rocks that it was grabbed between the rear wheels spokes-the wheel was jammed, the der survived, many other times hit by logs, rocks.
I have this for 9 years, and still working smoothly, needs perhaps little more frequent tweeking. I don't think you can expect anything more by a rear derailleur, and I don't think I will, when its time comes, find anything in the 2009 market as strong as this. Good old shimano friend.

Similar Products Used: Shimano low-end crap rear der's, newer Shimano Xt's, Deore LX
Tim Stevenage   Weekend Warrior [Mar 17, 2009]
Strength:

Precise shifting once set up carefully

Simply would not stay in gear under load.

The "Shadow" XT mech came with the bike. When climbing on steep sections of track the chain would wonder onto the surrounding 2 cogs that the shifter had set it on. So on the third from top sprocket, for example, the chain would wonder onto the sprocket above it or below it. This was so frustrating. After endless trips to the bike shop where I purchased this bike from we checked the frame, the hanger, obviously the mech, we changed the XT cassette, the chain, shifters and even 2 front chainrings. In the end my bike shop put a current but non-shadow XT mech on.....problem solved. Naturally I think very little of this "Shadow" design from Shimano. Nothing so fickle belongs on a Mountain Bike.

Similar Products Used: The entire Shimano range and Sram Quartz.
renaultvwsaab   Weekend Warrior [Mar 05, 2009]
Strength:

Reliable and precise

it will be always XT for me

lukel   Weekend Warrior [Nov 28, 2008]
Strength:

Strong, Light, Durable, Quiet operation

A little finicky to set up at times...

Absolutely no problems after 4.5 years on an all XT drivetrain. Shifts like it was brand new, and it has seen a good amount of riding. It can be tricky to get it dialed in perfect, but once you get it, it stays for months.

Similar Products Used: Newer XT, Deore, Sram x.7
Ricksom   Racer [Oct 06, 2008]
Strength:

Shifts as you would expect from Shimano. Easy to get replacements.

Shifting ability falls off dramatically in heavy, wet mud riding. This is due to the weak internal derailleur spring and large looping cable housing connection.

Rode in a 3 day stage race that was full of standing water bogs, deep mud, and water crossings. Starting miss shifting and ghost shifting after the first day. Those racers with SRAM did not have as many problems. Highly recommend using the Avid Rollamajig and Avid Flak Jackets with this derailleur in nasty conditions.

Similar Products Used: SRAM 9 and SRAM XO
decipher   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2008]
Strength:

Shimano Deore XT "Shadow" RD-M772-GS:

My first and previous mech was a low normal LX. Although on occasion I still find myself struggling with the opposite shifting direction over the LX - I find the low normal shifting direction more natural and intuitive - the XT delivers as promised in every other way: crisp, fast and precise shifting action, very good chain tension (I am using the mid cage SG version) easy to adjust even when on the bike riding via the shifter cable tensioner, rigid and bang-proof (it survived a hard contact with a branch that got pulled by the spokes at high speed). Low profile aside, the B-tension stop is really the highlight of this product, as with it, Shimano finally merges what's good about SRAM mechs, with what's already good about its own mechs to create an excellent product.

Also, quality pulleys and stiff springs.

None, asides that it's not XTR and the long cage version, is well... long (i.e. not too much ground clearance)!

In my opinion the Shadow XT is the best VFM mech you can buy, to the point Shimano had to add carbon to the to respective XTR version to justify the ridiculous price difference. I expect the XTR to be a higher quality product, both in terms of performance and materials/finish, but the XT is what you should go for if you're not a racer and/or weight weenie. I wouldn't bother with anything else, namely SRAM, really.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore LX RD-M580-SGS. I also have experience with the XTR top normal mech.