Shimano XT RD-M786 Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur

Shimano XT RD-M786 Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur

The Shimano Deore XT RD-M786 10 Speed Shadow Plus bicycle Rear Derailleur uses the new shadow plus design, which reduces the chances of chain drop and slapping. The derailleur?s strong return spring allows for smoother and more precise shifting. The dir

[Sep 22, 2013]
hey_poolboy

Strength:

Easy install and setup, VERY quiet, good looking, crisp shifting

None, really.

This was part of my 1x10 upgrade and move up to XT. Took it to the downhill on the very first ride and had zero chain slap, no noise and no dropped chain even without chain guide or retention. It really is like riding a single speed as far as the sound and noise.
Shifting (borrowed slx shifter while waiting for my xt) is very precise and snappy.
Anxious to see how the clutch holds up over time, but so far I'd say it's a tremendous improvement in derailleur technology.

This would be a good upgrade to an XC or AM rider especially it you're going to 1 x ? Go to your LBS and turn off the clutch and pull the bottom of the der. cage forward, then turn the clutch on and try it if you don't believe me.

[Oct 25, 2012]
Dj

Strength:

Excellent performance and value. Precise solid reliable shifting. Quiet ride. Easy Install and Set up. No dropped chains. Looks nice. Reasonably priced.

None.

The new Clutch system is the best invention for rear derailleurs, it really works, noticeable difference from traditional derailleurs w/out clutch. I have more confidence in retaining my chain, much more quiet and enjoyable ride, more consistent shifts with positive tactile shift feel. If your thinking of upgrading or replacing your derailleur, the XT 786 Shadow Plus Derailleur is the one to get because it has the perfect balance of value for your $, good looks, excellent performance, weight.

SLX, older XT versions, XTR (expensive and lighter does not mean better).

[Oct 19, 2012]
David
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Very quiet -- it's like riding a single speed
Improved shifting -- noticeably more precise
Same quality I've come to expect from XT

The only weakness I've noticed is that on the rare occasion when: a) I'm off the bike and moving it in reverse or backpedaling for any length, and b) if I'm in the middle chainring and lowest gear (36t on my setup) the increased tension makes the chain want to come down off of the larger gears.

This is the new XT PLUS derailleur replacing my 2-yr old XT dyna sys. Had a rock stuck with mud get caught in my derailleur recently -- it broke in half. It is a bummer when you have to replace a part, but it's always nice when the technology has improved and thus, you are not just buying the same part again. I'm really enjoying how quiet the ride is from the lack of chain slap AND the precise shifting that the "PLUS" system clutch provides. I don't loose my chain often, but I'm guessing that is also improved.

This is replacing a 10 speed dyna sys XT derailleur.