Shimano Tourney RD-TX30 Derailleur

• Aluminum right link
  • MEGARANGE Gear compatible
  • Mega Pulley

Andy   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2014]
Strength:

It has a quite cool name and it's very cheap

Everything - after about 6 months of casual use, it all started to stop working, so i was left with only one gear. Even after countless visits to the service, nothing seems to be working as it should. The chain gets stuck or dislocated weekly (even if i never realy went off-road). The shifting is increadibly slow and unreliable. And it's even worse with the Tourney's front derailleur (it just wont go from the second to third gear at all).

Although i realy like shimano and had absolutely no problems with the tx-51 on my previous bike, i strongly advice you not to buy this thing (even if it's on sale for a dollar - it's just not worth the time and money). You can find other Shimano's derailleurs for the same price with endlessly better expierience (unless you want to honestly lose your mind with this one :D).

kaizer64   [Nov 22, 2013]
Strength:

can work as a chain tensioner

-weigh a ton
-made of plastic
-ugly

save few more bucks to buy something better

Robert   [Oct 05, 2012]
Strength:

Easy tune up

Poor shifting
Needs too much tuning
Skips on drops and jumps
Plastic
Appearance

I don't do a lot of biking but for what moderate riding I do this is not adequate. It skips quite a bit and on on the big drops the derailler breaks or skips. I would get a deore or saint for the extra money but you get what you pay for.

Similar Products Used: Shimano deore xt
barkaweaty   [Sep 10, 2012]
Strength:

smooth shifting

breaks 2 easyily and has to much plastic and still to heavy

not the worst for price its pretty cheap but ive used way better it broke while i was riding down a paved road so in my book ive had better for the price
my excuse is its cheap heavy plastic insted of a nice light weight metal

Augman   Cross Country Rider [Apr 04, 2011]
Strength:

Road riding, reliability, has lasted more than a year on a heavily used mountain bike, doesnt that count for somthing???

heavy trail riding, plastic, slightly clunky shifting, needs to be tuned quite often

its an OK derailleur for pavement, and once tuned, works quite well, but has clunky shifting, (especially under pressure) and doesnt respond well off-road... there are a few restrictions to this cheap little derailleur, but for the price, and the fact its lasted me more than a year... is worth it...

Similar Products Used: shimano Atlas
epicbiking17   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2010]
Strength:

bad shifting, noisey shifting, skips once in awhile

This der is one of the worst ones i have used, it broke after i went off a curb on the streets, it also twisted my chain and broke 4 spokes

SS454   Cross Country Rider [Aug 16, 2009]
Strength:

Acceleration, Torque, Reliabilty is ok

Shifting.

I ride my bike almost everyday on trails, through mud, and in water, and it still makes my bike move. It doesn't shift well or into the right gear most of the time but it is still working. I need to get the system replaced though. Someone who works on bikes told me by the noises he hears when I pedal, the system is about wore out. He said this baout a month a go. The noises still come but the bike still moves. I ride over bumps and everything and it is very strong. I ride up very steep hills, and many other things of the like because where I live it's pretty much all off road. The system has made my Schwinn Clear Creek fun though. And fast. I like it even if it is plastic who cares.

Similar Products Used: Sram ESP
none   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2009]
Strength:

Get's the job done for a year or so for a cheap one.

It's a horrible derailleur in terms of durability

It sucks. If you can get a good bike without it, good.

minifreerider   Downhiller [Jul 17, 2009]
Strength:

its plastic!!!!!

yeah plastic that aint cool it sucks

ok so i dont have one, i got an xt, but two of my buddys HAD one but then i broke both cause i shifted and we were on grass so i got that one a cheap lx for 50 bucks both got in the spokes and i kill them, so i ride hard but dont get a der. with big pullys! get like a lx cause it just last years model of xt with not all the sweet cool stuff, but it cost half of an xt so you will blow your brains out if you get a good der. it really makes a defference and youll like your bike a lot more

Similar Products Used: acera i dont know get an lx or something, if it has big pullys dont get it doero or whatever is good too
ghostrider75   Weekend Warrior [May 20, 2009]
Strength:

It shifts better than me shimano XT

Non to date

It is good for the weekender how just like bikeing around the local area