Shimano Deore M592 Shadow Rear Derailleur

Deore M592 Shadow Rear

The versatile Deore rear derailleur is now available in a Shadow version! Also found on XTR and XT, ShadowTechnology uses a lower profile, making snags on rocks, branches or anything elseThat might jump out less of a worry. Other innovationsThat found on Deore include Direct Cable Routing and singleTension construction. With Deore you can enjoy most ofThe performance found on XTR at a fraction ofThe cost. Low Profile Shadow rear derailleurTop normal design (traditionally sprung) Low profile sing

eicca   [May 12, 2014]
Strength:

Very low profile, fixed upper pivot reduces chain drop, wide links for durability and strong shifts, very powerful, excellent trail performance

No cage clutch: still experiences chain slap and the occasional drop

I got this derailleur for Christmas. My first impression is that this derailleur really helps you track down problems in the shifting system. If ANYTHING is even slightly off (bent hanger, sticky cable, indexing), you can feel it. That said, once I got it working, I was extremely impressed! It downshifts under load with little to no trouble and upshifts are just a quick "click" and you're in a higher gear. I replaced a Deore LX and now I experience considerably less chain drop, thanks to the fixed upper pivot (maybe once or twice a day on the trails). Excellent bang for the buck, would highly recommend to anybody looking to upgrade.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore LX
Kellen Swingley   All Mountain Rider [Jul 15, 2013]
Strength:

Cheap, gets the job done, doesn't require constant adjustment. Easy adjustment.

SO. MUCH. CHAIN SLAP.

This derailleur is great for the price, but doesn't belong on the mountain. Perfect for commuting. Shadow does its job at keeping a low profile. Looks cool. Durability is lacking. Being replaced immediately. Hopefully I will see better quality out of the XT version.

RSabarese   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2012]
Strength:

Crisp shifting, strong derailleur (mine has several war wounds on the cage), not too heavy

The cage is long and there is no mid-cage option. Interestingly, the price seems to have be at or near MSRP as 10 speed equipment has trickled to Deore level.

I have owned many derailleurs on bikes and I specifically like this one and the SLX version. SLX is very similar in shifting, but has 1 aluminum and 1 steel side of the cage. Unless I look down, I could not tell which I was using. The shifting has been very crisp and as a result, I bought a few spares when they were onsale. I recommend it, unless SLX is the same price, then I'd get SLX.