Shimano Alivio Rear Derailleur

Shimano Alivio Rear Derallieurs are direct-attach and have an advanced light-action design. Advanced light-action design Teflon-coated bushings All are direct-attach rear derailleurs 7/8 speed Item Specifications Shifter/Rear Derailleur Shimano Largest Cog 34Teeth Chain Wrap Capacity 43Teeth

Eric Zatman   [Sep 30, 2015]
Strength:

This Alivio Derailleur came on my 2013 Fuji 2.1 Absolute Hybrid bicycle. So far it shift well and seems quite adequate for basic riding in and around town. I cannot judge its adequacy for heavy mountain bike use off road. Like any derailleur, adjustment is important, and so far it has held up and shifts well.

None for everyday use on smooth roads.

My experience is that the Alivio rear derailleur works well on hybrid bicycles for riding on smooth roads in and around the city..

Laszlo Losonci   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2015]
Strength:

Simple but make the job

The service document not good enough/

Dear Readers,
I am satisfied with the product after half year. But not with the manual.
I search and search but not find an answer for my question..
Which side to mount the button pulley?
They are not the same. OK
One is thick one thin. The ticker is on the button.
But it is not symetric. One side is ticker. Which side goes the ticker (fatty) inside or outside.
Thank a lot.
Laszlo

Upinflames7   [Sep 05, 2014]
Strength:

Affordable, very nice for the average user of entry level bikes.

If you ride aggressively, you will most likely have some issues with it. Will cause many curses and bike tosses on the trail. Oh wait that is just my temper after it gets stuck in my spokes.

It shifts nicely when properly adjusted, smooth and quick. Great for tooling around on backroads with gradual inclines. Chain slap is very bad when jumping or going over very rough stuff at speed. Also downshifting while pedaling hard doesn't work very well at all. Great entry level derailleur, but remember it is entry level.

Gary Wilson   [Jun 19, 2013]
Strength:

Cheap

Everything else.

I purchased my first "quality" mountain bike to ride on some of the local trails, some of which can be a challenge, and require a lot of downshifting and upshifting......this is NOT the Derailleur for that! I am on my second one, and the very same thing happened......the hanger slipping into my spokes....could cause a lot of damage to your bike, but even more so to YOU! Beware, pay a few bucks more and be safe.

Cenzobear   Cross Country Rider [Apr 07, 2013]
Strength:

Super reliable, shifts smoothly as anything else when properly adjusted, snappy gear changes after a few hundred miles, pretty durable.

Besides CHAIN TENSION, not much. All your friends snickering because its not X0 like they have on their full squish carbon. (Or I guess XX1 now)

It's a great deraileur when properly adjusted. Smooth and snappy. The most you'll ever need for road and trails. HOWEVER, once this little guy is thrown on some not so smooth singletrack, it's poor chain tension is really noticeable. I drop my chain ALL THE TIME. But hey for $30 I'll curb my griping. Bottom line: it's a wonderful starter piece that you can upgrade from later.

Similar Products Used: SLX, XTR,X0, etc....
Michael Ogle   [Mar 22, 2013]
Strength:

Low cost, takes abuse and hold a tune up, did i mention cheeeeeaaaaap?

People point and mock - and that's what we should all worry about, right?

I resurrected my old hardtail with a full Alivio drive train - i have climbed over 20,000 meters of baby-head infested volcano since i installed the the set. Aside from a few clunks from the indexing i've had zero issues.
I have a full suss rig with XT and SLX gear on it, and while i do notice a difference in precision, i am not seeking a podium position so it's a non-issue. If you are a hard core trail dog who can maintain his/her own rig, this drive train is difficult to beat.

Craig   Downhiller [Oct 23, 2012]
Strength:

As good as Deore and significantly cheaper

Brand wankers will laugh at you all the way until their X0 snaps off

I run this on my £2000 downhill rig. Yes, you read that correctly. See, I broke the previous Deore mech in a crash and needed a new one quickly, so I bought a second hand Alivio from a friend for £5, hooked it up to my SLX shifter and let rip. Now, most will say that it is terrible, and shifts by itself, slow shifts etc. ADJUSTMENTS people, you wouldn't go out riding without an allen key set, so bring a screwdriver too, and if it's playing up, mess with the screws till it stops. It's worked for me for close to a year, on a Norco Atomik DH bike. Sure it isn't a Saint, but it's not a Tourney either.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore, SRAM X9, SRAM X0, Shimano XT, Shimano Saint
Death0rGlory   All Mountain Rider [Jul 13, 2012]
Strength:

It is cheap, stock on some low end models. Great item to learn and grow with, then dispose.

Heavy, Slooow shifts to small cogs, Uncommonly easy to break

Came stock on my Fuji Nevada, snapped my hanger when the cage around the lower jockey wheel attached to my spokes. Now I need to have my rear rim trued and will be replacing/ upgrading my derailleurs. Simple answer now I understand that a $30 piece belongs on a freaking mongoose, not on a bike that climbs mountains to bomb down the rock gardens on the other side. Honestly I feel lucky that the bike was the only broken entity coming off the mountain. Then again this was my first mountain bike, so lesson learned you get what you pay for. I only find time to ride on the weekends. When I do ride, "Capt. Intensity" comes out and its climbs, rock gardens, DH and all kinds of fun. So in all fairness, I might have expected too much/ spent too little on components. Again lesson learned and this came stock on my starter bike. Light riders will enjoy everything but the slow shifts to the small cogs. Anyone else STAY AWAY or risk breaking things, i.e. components or yourself.

this the real Derek   Weekend Warrior [Sep 10, 2011]
Strength:

Very easy to install and adjust. If you purchase the FD get some extra cable. Once installed any normal human can feel like a XC pro while adjusting on the fly.

Heavy, too long of throws. Lacks the smoothness of a Deore or Saint (read overall)

Alright, just installed this RD 2 hours ago. All I had to do was hook the cable up and every gear hit. I decided to upgrade the RD and FD after spending 11 hour on the the stock RD and FDs last Saturday fixing all the incorrectness just to adjust it 6 days later. After installing the Alivios my family is super happy with their Wal-Mart Specials. For all the haters out there, if you're installing 30$ RD's on your trek and specialized you're not a real rider, you're probably too cheap to upgrade for componets you need on real XC trails. One idea, don't buy weed for a week and spend the extra $ on deore or saint components. For people that need a good RD, FD and don't want to break the bank...buy the Alivio set.