Shimano Acera x Derailleur

Acera x

The Shimano Acera FD-M360 Front Derailleur delivers the responsive feeling of a serious mountain bike to casual riders and entry-level cyclists. It is 8-speed and wide-link compatible which reduces shifting effort and increases rigidity with a multi-clamp

cassava   Weekend Warrior [Jan 25, 2012]
Strength:

fair. good enough for a weekend warrior XC rider like me

none so far

I've been going with this derailleur since 2010. I use the M-360 so far it's ok for my riding style. I do some commuting ride and in the weekend I go to the trail for doing some XC ride.

For typical of the trail in my place. The track become muddy during the rainy season. I run my bike over a muddy terrain while my RD was covered with some mud. Still it could working well in such condition but I'd like to stay on the largest cassette and run the lower gear on front. I don't want to give it more tense while preventing it to be broken.

This RD is easy to maintain. I spray it with chainwax, checking its cable adjuster and sometime overhaul it in order to make it on best condition.

Similar Products Used: Tourney TZ
AWDfreak   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 2011]
Strength:

Cheap

Somewhat slow shifts, weak

It came stock on my 2006 TREK 3900.

It is not great.

It was clearly designed for those who ride both on and off pavement, but with not enough durability for the adventurous and those who ride in muddy conditions.

Best for those who ride every week or two on and off pavement, but nothing really crazy. Not a derailleur I trust.

Similar Products Used: crappy Shimano Altus, Shimano Deore, Shimano Deore XT
apellegrino81   Cross Country Rider [Nov 20, 2010]
Strength:

Very few besides price

Everything. Stamped steel crap construction. Weak pivot points. Clamp is so much lower than cage that this FD is not usable on many frame designs. No matter how much adjustment i made I could not get this FD to stop rubbing because of the clamp placement.

Just drop the extra 10 bucks and get an LX FD.

Similar Products Used: All levels of Shimano derailleurs
dietz31684   Weekend Warrior [May 08, 2010]
Strength:

This thing is great for the low price. If you are riding everyday then you are probably not looking at these reviews. It is great for a weekend trail shredder and does its job.

Will occasionally skip on some heavy rocky stuff.

If I were putting my own bike together I would opt for a step up in the line. Mine has not failed me, but I am not crazy about the plastic in the design. Can not knock it since it came stock and is still kicking, but spend the extra $20 or $30 and do right the first time.

Similar Products Used: same on previous bike
mcgreivey   Weekend Warrior [Oct 02, 2009]
Strength:

Shifts great. Never any problems with it. I;ve used various shifters with it, and in 7 years, I've only had to adjust it a couple times.

Only one weakness: hex anchor nut is a pain. I carry a wrench on long rides, just in case. It should have an allen bolt anchor, so I could just use my multi-tool, if I had to. This is a PITA, but it's the only thing I don't like about it.

I've used three kinds of friction shifters, and now a different set of Shimano indexed shifters, and this derailleur has worked perfectly the whole time, with no problems, and only minimal adjustment. I ride almost exclusively on the road, so it's possible it won't stand up to the tortures of trail use--I don't know. But in my experience, it's great.

Geerhard   Weekend Warrior [Aug 21, 2009]
Strength:

everithing

bad reputation wich is NOT

fast, good and releable shifting

Similar Products Used: deore, xt
gianni   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2009]
Strength:

Front and rear derailleur. Came with bike (Kona Blast). I first thought to replace them right away. But after taking the bike for a spin I was surprised how quick, fast and smooth they worked.

Bottom line - they shift, and shift, and shift and shift since tree years now - never a problem.

I crashed the bike different times, R/D has been hit, scratched, bent, bent back etc. - they still work like the first day.

Considering the price point you can get these i.e. dirt cheap, the performance is amazing.

- weight
- not the best if you ride a lot in muddy terrain as seals, bearings etc. are evidently not of the quality as Deore and especially LX, SX or XT etc.
- 8 instead of 9 gears = spacing of the gears, especially the jumps in 6, 7 and 8, can be a bit wide in certain situations compared to 9 speed

Sturdy, don't seem to wanna break, exeptionally good value considering how cheap you can get them and if you ride trails, fire roads etc. in dry conditions or use the bike to commute, in the city etc. in the first place.

Similar Products Used: XT, SX, LX, Deore etc.
pipexp   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2009]
Strength:

Shift well, and very smooth when is perfect tuned. Very strong.

It ugly design

Despite it desing, i used it xc and rally races and never fail me, clearly must good tuned and oliled. It can used recreacional rides and easy xc races.