Paul Components Front Derailleur Derailleur

Front Derailleur

Paul Front Derailleur

Michael Glasgow   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2008]
Strength:

Rare and Beautiful. Cost 3 times as much as an XTR and works 1/2 as good. Every sport needs its elite parts that take alot of tinkering, look at the car world.

Hey,
I still want one of these, front or rear, broken or not. I need some parts so let me know what you have. Call me at 1-812-606-5249 or email me smglasbiker@hotmail.com.
Thanks!

Anthony Paz   Cross Country Rider [Nov 06, 2006]
Strength:

Awesome engineering, completely disassemble, looks Bad Ass, made in USA, works well when dialed in

Super finiky, adjustments can take some time on the rear, front has always worked perfect, rear needs a stiffer spring or you can push a little extra on your thumb shifter.

I have owned and used these Frnt and Rr Derailleurs for over 12 years now. I wouldn't sell them for a $1000. Everywhere I go people drool with awe because they are rare and beautiful peices of art. Yes the rear, for me, can be finiky when dialing in but when its set, its good. The front has been perfect since day 1. I will sacrifice and push the thumb shifter a little extra when shifting to keep this set running. I love them. Everyone has shimano or scram. Be different. Be true to what you enjoy. I like performance but astetics and functionality are important to me as well. Its too bad Paul couldn't continue building these.

Similar Products Used: XT, XTR
WILL   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 18, 1999]
Strength:

DECENT SHIFTING, ON PAR WITH XTR. GREAT MACHINING THROUGHOUT, HIGHLY ADJUSTABLE.

HIGHLY ADJUSTABLE- WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS TO DIAL IT IN. SPRING TENSION IS A LITTLE BIT TOO LOW. STOCK SPRING SHOULD BE REPLACED

WORKS WONDERFULLY- ONCE IT IS DIALED IN. THIS TOOK ME SO MANY FRUSTRATING HOURS TO DO, I ALMOST SCRAPPED IT. ONCE TUNED I LOVED IT. I HAVE HAD IT FOR QUITE SOME TIME, AND HAVE HAD NO SHOPWORK TO DO ON IT, SAVE FOR CABLE CHANGES. NOW I LOVE IT. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO SHIMANO. PS. IT WIRKS PHENOMANALLY WITH GRIPSHIFT.

Similar Products Used: WHITE INDUSTRIES FRONT DERAILLEUR, XTR,XT, ETC.
Jason   cross-country rider [Nov 05, 1997]

These riding style categories bite...(they better not put in freerider)
So about the der. It's light and it works great, but then again what wouldn't with Suntour Thumbshifters. Glad I got it at cost though! And I'm glad it will fit any frame so I don't have to buy another one.

Mike   Cross Country Rider [Mar 05, 2001]
Strength:

Nice to have top or bottom pull. Simple, elegant design- good engineering.

Cranky set-up, gotta have those big rings with RAMPS`

Rode this thing almost all the way across Australia. Had to tweak it a bit: I was using drop bars and STI (those'r roadie shifters, mud puppies). I had to file a little groove in the pull arm on the close side of the pivot to get them to work, but it was pretty easy. I like the little bugger. Now that I'm home, back to the mud farm, it works just fine with the XT rabidfire stuff. The cage isn't quite the right shape for the big ring I'm running, but it works fine. The world isn't perfect, and I don't race anyway.
Although I understand that a small, independent business can't compete with a megacorp who has their stuff built at slave labor prices, the price is kind of daunting - even though I bought it used on E-bay (for about the price of a used XTR). Comes with parts to fit lots of seat tube sizes, top or bottom pull. (I didn't have the instructions - but it was a fun little puzzle - no worries).
Sigh.
Buy it if you just gotta be different. Do you drive a Lada?
Citroen? Saab? Vauxhill? This may be your derailleur.
It'll work. Probably for a long time.

Similar Products Used: Microsoft (Shimano)
M. Lounsbury   Cross-Country Rider [May 27, 1999]
Strength:

Made in USA. Top notch machining.Works great w/ Grip Shift (I hope).

Alot of trash talk on this site. ??? Bought it for $50.00 (could be a clue considering the $100.oo plus retail.) Haven't used it yet on my M.Cycle CSX(waiting for my RF Next Crank Set ?????). Oh boy.????

The bottom line......... Good question. When I get the RF Next Crank Set I'll let you know......... But then again there's a sale at a certain retail shop , selling Precision Billet front for fifty US. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you say credit cod? RATING: ?????????????

Similar Products Used: Japanese XT, relatively cheap, does granney to middle and visa versa very well but won't do big Race Face ring.
Michael Glasgow   racer [Feb 01, 1999]

i want one, preferably black. Mike @ 1-765-743-3506, 10am-7pm mon-fri. i want it for my commuter bike. i am a mechanic and will modify it to work if necessary. don't laugh i've been running suntour since 95 on the commuter.

Ben   cross-country rider [Nov 05, 1998]

I got a brand-new rasta paul rear powerglide at the Trexlertown Velodrome flea market three weeks ago. I replaced my XT with it on my Jamis (mainly because it's the coolest-looking rear mech ever and, of course, looks is all that matters, right?). It took some adjustment and shifted okay (i guess), but I think the XT probably shifted better. Really slow shifts and sometimes required a little pressure on the shifter lever to get it into the next cog. Mind you, I had the mech set on the middle spring tension--it might have done better on the highest setting. I also used it with XT rapidfire (rapidfailure) and I've heard it really only works well with Gripshift. Now, you've probably noticed I've been talking about it in the past tense. Welp, that's because during a nite ride last w/e I bailed and the break-away bolt on the mech busted. Upon inspection of the busted Al bolt, I noticed it's like any other break-away bolt only it's drilled out in the middle to allow for an allen wrench... that's f__king smart. There was practically no metal holding the goddam derailluer on, and what little metal there was on the bolt was aluminum... I wouldn't mind half as much if the bolt hole was compatible with shimano or other bolts, but now if I want to replace it, I'm probably gonna have to spend $9,000,000 and wait thirty years for a replacement from paul...
I give the derailleur two flaming turds and that's assuming the price is $30 (what I paid), not the $225 list or whatever the f__k he expects you to shell out...

B.A.   cross-country rider [Jul 31, 1998]

I traded an XTR derailleur that didn't fit my new frameset for this derailleur so I guess I couldn't go wrong. When I first installed it I quickly agreed with every bad thing said about these things. The shifting from middle to large ring was impossible untill I installed a Real large ring to go along with my Real middle ring. With a combination of excellently ramped chainrings and a lot of setup patience I finally got it shifting right. On the plus side, making a derailleur that will work in top or botton pull and any size mounting is great. Of course I'm saying all this without having to pay the $150+ they're asking for this thing. If Paul would put the same work into the cage design as the rest of it this derailleur could be excellent. 5 chillis for mounting and top/botom pull feature, 1 chilli for performance, and -1 chilli for price.

john   cross-country rider [Jun 08, 1998]

Had both front and rear. Where to begin. Ah,the front piece of *#&%, never could get the damn thing to work right. Found it to be very tempermental with resect to upshift or down shift. Deepnding on how dialed my adjustment it would only do one or the other from the middle ring.
The rear was very stiff and difficult to upshift. I think it was just as big a pain in the ass as the front. Lots of money to spend on crap when I would have had more ride time and less repair/tweak time buying ALTUS.