Gripshift ESP900 Derailleur

Gripshift ESP900

[Mar 27, 1998]
Ol MoFoe
racer

A season and a half (35 races plus training) on the newer (breakage problem cured) system and I am very pleased. WAY BETTER performance than any version/combination of shi_mano stuff.
When it finaly gives up, I will def buy another.
Early on I had a prob w/slow shift from the big cog, very friendlytech support gave me the solution: open the gap between guide pulley & large cog. The '98 has a kicker spring to help prevent this prob.
End of last muddy season the guide pulley froze/seized. SRAM sent free replacements, but they were a pain to install.
I'll reserve the 5 rating for the system that can read my mind.
Still, these are at least one better than shi_mano.

[May 21, 1996]
Danny
racer

The rear shifts nicely. It's all a matter of opinion but I think it shifts on par with 96 xt/xtr. But the front shifter is still same old gripshift, as it should be since it isn't changed. Compared to RF the GS front is tedious and slow. I know they have a new front derailleur coming out but until then the whole system isn't worthy of $170. The rear is good I hope the front matches. I give it 4 stars if you're not a gs fan, and 5 if you are

[May 21, 1998]
ray
cross-country rider

Bought a 9.0 system it always works very well. However last week layed my bike over at a very slow speed and broke one of the alloy parallel bars. Have talked to grip shift who would'nt repair or give me new pieces, stated they would not deal with me, and to see a shop. My local shop said the individual pieces were not availiable. Have talked to several places nashbar/frankfort and none will sell the derailleur by itself.
Works great, but not very strong, and support is nill.

[Jan 21, 1997]
koby

works greats, breaks easy, replaced by SRAM in 24hrs, some times can
be refered to as Extra Shitty Piece only when it breaks on the Hermosa
Creek trail, 20 miles from town, but all in all, I can say, can't wait
to get mine replaced with this years new design (free of charge), we
like SRAM for that one, applause applause...

[Jan 14, 1997]
Peter Brown
cross-country rider

If only shimano could make shifting this good. Its the smoothest shifting this
boy has ever felt.I love it i would have sex with it if possible.

[Jan 15, 1997]
Dangerous Dan
racer

This shifter der. combo came with my '97 Y-22, however, I had them switched out for Sachs Powergrip and a '95 (old style) XTR der. The performance of the ESP system is pretty nice, however, racing is pretty hard on equipment and if I'm at a race and one of these components breaks, the chances of me finding an LBS that carries the ESP stuff is pretty slim. Besides, I think I get better performance out of my current setup.

[Jun 19, 2000]
Chris

Strength:

Very very light, very very sexy, very very very good at changing gear (lest we forget what this is about). easy to set up and look after.

It seems to attract bad reviews from people that fail to understand the product before they purchase it. ESP 9.0 (1999/2000) has no weakness.

This new SRAM stuff is very very very good. No dispute.
Sure you can't mix and match with the big S because of the new actuation ratio. Mix and match sucks anyway, people only do it to look like they really know it all, but in the end you are only throwing away the intergrated performance that SRAM or big S or whoever have tried to create. Big S stuff is strong and the XTR is pretty faultless, I know, I have miles on it, but the SRAM is lighter, faster, more positive, I doubt I will go back, ever. The prices are pretty high though, only time will tell if it can truly last like an XTR, but these days we either smash it up on a rock (nothing survives that, at any price), or decide we like the new version before anything actually wears out anyway, so who are we kidding? Everybody should consider SRAM, there is now a genuine alternative to big S.

full XTR rapidfire for years and years

[Jun 10, 2000]
Rob Gibbons

Strength:

Easy tuning, crisp shifts

none yet

I have found the gripshift to be an overall better product than shimano. I've had it for 1 year and still luv. I beat on it 2. Still shifts real crisp and is easy to tune. If you buy last year's model you'll save a lot of money.

shimano shifters

[Mar 08, 2000]
kabby hong

Strength:

Lightweight

strength, reliability, performance

I want to preface my review by saying that in all the years that I have been riding I have never had a product let me down as much as this derailler. I was on a very long and isolated ride when I heard a crunch sound and my chain suddenly suffered massive failure. I looked down and saw that the SRAM derailler had sheared off right in the middle leaving me completely stranded. I was more than 10 miles from town and my only path home was to backtrack three miles down the trail and hopefully hitchhike the rest of the way. Three hours later I finally made it. I went to my local bike shop and I showed them the defective derailler and the mechanic said that in 10 years he's never seen a derailler fail right in the middle!! I sent SRAM and email about my situation so I have yet to hear back from them. I can't say whether all SRAM deraillers are as defective as the one I received but my experience was a nightmare.

Shimano XT, XTR

[Mar 02, 2000]
Jason

Strength:

Light, US made, Plastic. ESP is easier to use than rapidfire, cheaper, and is more durable. I would use only Gripshift on a downhill bike.

MUD. Unless you wear gloves, don't expect to shift in the mud. If you do wear gloves, go at it!

The system is the best if you wear gloves or stay out of the mud. Otherwise, I would recommend a Rapidfire based system. When talking to Sram, they deny that there is a problem, so they may never fix it.

Everything