BombShell Proshift Rear Derailleur Derailleur

Proshift Rear Derailleur

• CNC machined from 6061 Aluminum
  • 8 or 9 speed compatible
  • All pivot points o-ring sealed
  • Colors: silver, red, blue, black, ti

• User Reviews (54)

Tom M   All Mountain Rider [Jan 12, 2015]
    Strength:

These are all CNC aluminum made and anodized in great colors. Replacement parts are now available in titanium at http://www.precisionbillet.com. I used on a 10 speed.

These are touchy in setup and break in, modern cassettes with large gears sometimes wont reach because the pulley will touch the cassette so is better for lower ratios.

We bought these many years ago and were impressed with the light weight and cool looks. Since then I used mine for years until the pivot broke on a stump. WE made the pivots and now have the complete units and parts too. These are at http://www.precisionbillet.com

Similar Products Used: AKA Bombshell and Proshift
    Tom Essick   Racer [Aug 27, 2003]
    Strength:

Lightest derailleur, colors, not the "Big S" company

Needs more attention than Shimano derailleurs, Sram 9sp incompatibility.

These derailleurs rock! However, they do need more attention during initial set up. I find they work best when using Gore cables and a Shimano floating top pulley. If you have Sram 9sp shimano compatible shifters, don't even attempt using this derailleur! They mixed like oil and water! I had to ditch the Sram shifter for a shimano XTR 9 sp unit, and perfection! Shifts are clean and crisp, with no problems what so ever. I use a Dura Ace 12-27 cog in the rear, so people with larger gears may have a problem with the mid cage design. Bottom line: It works great, but if you aren't mechanically inclined and don't work on your own bike, then I wouldn't recommend this derailleur.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Shimano, Shimano
    Chris Chance   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2006]
    Strength:

light
    good optic
    shifts very well

expensive
    you must a little bit care of it

The rear mech. shifts very well.A little bit difficult to adjust but then it works well.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX,XT,XTR
    chuck   Weekend Warrior [Feb 13, 2003]
    Strength:

durable, shifts on par(if not better than)shimano

i guess lack of availale parts

ive been using these for years and although i stated that parts arent readily avail anymore to fix them...i havent had to. ive used it with 8 and 9 speed drive trains and have never had a problem. they need to be set-up and adjusted like every other bike part, and once they are, they do a great job at what they are made to do. been working for me for years...

Similar Products Used: xt, xtr, sachs...
    Donat   Cross Country Rider [Dec 31, 2001]
    Strength:

light, nice, efficient, reliable .

Short cages are nice but confidential.

Poor compatibility with standard 9Speed MTB. Standard 9 Speed gear staging is stupid in MTB, so to get the best, use 8Speed cassette or 'road 12/27'.
    Very reliable, very low maintenance, works always, no tuning never needed ... short cages are nice!

BUY it if you accept to be precise with you gear settings (no crossing).

Similar Products Used: XTR short cage
    Chuck   Weekend Warrior [Oct 03, 2001]
    Strength:

Smooooooth, effortless shifting, super quiet, rebuildable/serviceable, beautiful machining, US-made, lighter than just about anything else out there, and did I mention smooth shifting?

Somewhat finicky to set-up, tiny bolts MUST be threadlocked, top-floating pulley doesn't really float.

I run a Proshift for a bunch of reasons:

1) I find that the spring tension on the derailleur is stiffer than most of the big "S" derailleurs, or at least just as stiff.
    2) Smoooooth and effortless shifting. Remember though, it is a medium cage which = NO CROSS-CHAINING. In trials that isn't an issue. On my GT, still no problems and good shifting = no cross-chaining anyways.
    3) What gear am I in? did I shift? SUPER quiet. Most times I don't hear the derailleur shifting, it just happens.
    3)Totally rebuildable and serviceable. Personally I don't feel good about throwing away a whole derailleur when you can just replace the parts that you've broken. It's such a waste and is environmentally unsound. Why do you think the big companies make their products one-time use only? So you HAVE to buy a whole new part instead of just buying individual replacement parts-it's a strategy that puts profits over practicality.
    3) Made in the USA. No, I am not a Republican (nor a Democrat for that matter), nor a redneck, nor a really patriotic person - I just think too much money and too many jobs are lost to foreign trade/third world contracting. Support the little guy!
    4) Lightweight, but not to the point of compromising its durability.
    5) Cost-effective. $100 on their site, $75 at Cambria - same range as XTR with the added characteristics above.
    6) Pretty to look at-as far as aluminum objects go.

I can go on and on, but you guys get the picture. Buy this and you will have a derailleur for life. It's a little finicky to fine-tune, but when you do it is nothing short of beautiful. A full 9-spd setup didn't work well for me (especially the cassette)-lots of jumping, but IMHO 9-spd just plain *sucks*- I'll stick with 8 until internal gears are perfected and lighter. Be sure to threadlok the tiny screws and such or they'll come loose, it's important that you follow the instructions that come with it.
    That's all.

Similar Products Used: XTR, XT, LX blah, blah, "S" this and RAM that...not that shimanoram makes bad products-but when you have great-performing alternatives...
    Sean   Downhiller [Sep 16, 2001]

Clean shifiting, Cool colors VERY easy to service but you dont need to

Ken   Cross Country Rider [Aug 10, 2001]
    Strength:

Still has great shifting, has not fallen apart, still the lightest available. Machined look is still better than Shimano or SRAM. Cheaper than XTR, too, from the right places.

Still no anodized ultra dark purple or tan? More seriously, I still think PB should look at mildly revising this derailleur to be more mass-market friendly, and perhaps adding other components to their lineup. I'm personally biased toward being able to one day get PB shifters.

I look at my setup and I wonder why the only things that have been damaged are the two Shimano items. I try not to hate them; some of their products have done fine on my other bikes. Though sometimes I ride extremely fast, I try to keep my form smart- I pick good lines, land my drops smooth, and keep a smooth pedal stroke so as not to uselessly abuse my ($$$) equipment. Nevertheless, my XT cassette and XTR shifters have been the first, and thus far only, equipment to suffer any real damage (half-season each). Odd since they're relatively removed from where most trail abuse is received. The plastic casing of the XTR shifter is not as burly as it looks--cracked quite easily on an unweighted endo, and even then the handlebar took the brunt of the impact. Probably a miscellaneous pedal somewhere. Luckily it's still rideable. I'm looking at replacing the XT cassette with SRAM 9.0, but dammit I sure wish Precision had shifters. Can you imagine XTR-quality shifting encased in an aluminum billet shell? Perhaps I should have stuck this in an XTR shifter review. XTR shifters are still the best right now, but Precision has the best derailleurs and rim brakesets.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
    Bill   Cross Country Rider [Jul 25, 2001]
    Strength:

made in USA, colors!!, works as good as XTR...if not better, not made by shimano.

had a bit of difficulty fitting it to my old-a$$ c-dale der. hanger

I have nothing against shimano really, but I like variety....no, I like QUALITY variety. You can get this jammy in several attractive colors (can you say BLUE??)!! It works, and works well. The mechanics that built my bike up were a bit skeptical until they got it working...I'd bet within 1 month they'll have em on their bikes.