Truvativ Stylo Team Crankset

• Nickel Plated Rings
  • Alloy Chainring Bolts
  • Self-extracting Crank Bolts
  • These cranks are for cross country use

• User Reviews (84)

Wasmachineman NL   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2012]
    Strength:

Doesn't flex, BB is more silent than a square taper, Looks pretty cool

Corrosion on crank arms, It would look nicer if they added a tougher coat of varnish.

I have to admit that this crank is good,but the paint is sh*t, Lots of corrosion on the crank arms, Other than that, its a great crank, it doesn't flex as Specialized's Strongarm 1, TL;DR: The crank is good, but the paint and finish is weak, Nothing to complain about though.

Similar Products Used: Specialized StrongArm 1.
    bondek   Cross Country Rider [Jul 06, 2011]
    Strength:

Durable and reliable, Keeps on crankin.

This crank came on my original 2006 Stumpjumper FSR and when that frame cracked I transferred this crank onto the new bike frame.

I ride hard and go through components and only buy heavy duty parts. From my original 2006 stumpjumper the only original parts are my seat post, handle bars and the crank. (I'm on number 4 for the bottom bracket) Somehow this crank has held up for over 12,000 miles of hard riding.

Similar Products Used: None
    Timur_j   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2010]
    Strength:

Cheap, light, nice look

BB fail after one ride in rain,
    crank anod-layer corrosion after winter riding.

Good choice for the money.

Similar Products Used: Stylo-isis, Shimano LX octalink
    jSatch   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 2008]
    Strength:

Strong rings, smooth shifts, take abuse and still pretty light.
    Warrantee!!

after 2 years the chrome on the rings was peeling off

Already posted for this when new, but regarding TruVativ warrantee:

Had this on my old Spec Stumpy XC Pro and mercilessly wore down the drivetrain. Frame welds gave way so went with a new bike.

Built up a SC Heckler- new drivetrain, except the cranks. The rings were shot, but as the chrome on the rings was peeling off I took it into BicycleWarehouse to see what they could do for new rings. They contacted TruVativ and put on a brand spanking new set of rings. Cost- nada. NADA!! Still within the 2 year warrantee period. Way cool, and lookin' good too.

The bb was getting a little scratchy. Typical here in SoCal with all the very fine powder that lines all the trails (except after a rain- ha, ha). Almost 2 years is darn good. Got a new one for nearly half the price of a comparable Shimano XT bb.

I think TruVativ made a good choice when compromising weight vs strength on these cranks. No complaints.

Sweet all around.

Similar Products Used: shimano
    Juan   Cross Country Rider [Aug 28, 2003]
    Strength:

Weight, Stiffness, Shifting, LOOKS!, This crank is great holds up well, the AL Bolts are ok just tighten them before you install the crank, they have never come loose on me

none, the paint come off where my shoe rubs, but I don't considere that a weakness since I am riding off road and I care about how it works, not if the paint comes off.

This crank is great, you ride and ride it hard and it will keep up, make sure you keep them up though, I check everything for tightness every now and then and nothing fails me, I do my own work on the bike, so I make sure these cranks get thight and stay tight and they have never given me any problems, I ride them trough water, mud, sand, you name it and they hold up well, I will be getting another set once this one gives in, like in a few years or so, but if the hold up as well as they have it might be longer than that. For those of you that bought the cranks from price point and have had problems with them, well if you would have checked out the Truvativ website and noticed that they carried no warranty, you shouldn't have bought them there. I got a great deal at performance bike, at $100.00 for the 2002 model I can't complain, they are lighter than the XT and Cheaper than the XTR and XT. I figured it was Win, Win situation.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore,
    Brian Snyder   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2003]
    Strength:

price, i got the crankset w/ chainrings and bottom bracket for less than the price of XTR

I had the parts installed by my local bike shop, tightened them after the first couple of rides and the bolt still loosened up causing one of them to drop out. the 22t blew apart and jammed into my frame hard enough to gouge it. I have e-mailed Truvativ and am waiting to hear back from them. Please note! If you buy your Truvativ parts through pricepoint you have NO WARRANTY!!!

I am waiting to see what Truvativ will do for me, if anything, and I will let everyone know the deal as soon as I find out. At the time of this posting I am not Happy! I expect a " top of the line " part to last and this part had less than 15 hours of use. I am not alone in having this kind of problem, as noted by other reviewers at this site.

Similar Products Used: XT, LX, Specialized
    Pat G   Cross Country Rider [Sep 05, 2003]
    Strength:

light, cheap, has rings, BB is good

Flexy, rings bend easily, chainring bolts snap when you tighten them, almost like plastic

I weigh 230, and don't really abuse equipment. Noticeable flex in the crank arm. First week I bent the big ring rolling across a log...this didn't happen with my XTR rings.

Snapped the chainring bolts when I tightened them for the 1st time.

Cranks aren't junk, you get what you pay for, they are o.k., but I bent the crank on pretty severly my first crash. Hand to bend it back with a rock just to get home.

For the same approximate price, you can get the new FSA Afterburner with is SUPER RIGID, and has much better rings. They are a tight fit, but they rock. Email Wlarson@stdairy.com for the best deal on em.

Similar Products Used: EVERYTHING OUT THERE
    ribaldmanikin   [Aug 01, 2007]
    Strength:

Stiff, improved shifting, lightweight.

Aluminum crank bolt. Sheared off at the beginning of a ride on a 4 day riding vacation, 2.5 hours from the nearest bike shop.

I've loved these cranks since the day they were installed. I've never been happier with cranks on any bike I've ridden. Having a trip ruined because of a cheap aluminum crank bolt sure made me rethink the love. I've replaced the bolt with a steel bolt. I'll take the weight penalty.

I'm not hard on my bikes, and spend as much time taking care of them as riding them. Everything is torqued according to specs.

This review is for Truvativ Stylo Team GXP crankset. I think they are 06's.

I'd give them a 5/5 if it wasn't for that cheap aluminum bolt. However, a $3 fix isn't going to hurt the rating. Just pick up an extra steel bolt for your camelback.

Similar Products Used: Kooka, XT, XTR, LX, RaceFace.
    Russell   Downhiller [Jul 29, 2007]
    Strength:

Lightweight, Cheap, and Strong

Left arm used to come loose a lot (but that was probably my fault for not tightening it)

What more can I say? These have not failed on me yet, and they have taken a ton of abuse.

BUY THEM