Truvativ Stylo Team GXP Crankset Crankset

Stylo Team GXP Crankset

Truvativ's GXP outboard bearing crank/bottom bracket sets deliver a big punch when compared with other brands in the same price range.

Michael K   Weekend Warrior [Jul 29, 2010]
Strength:

light, looks good, easy to install/remove no special crank tool needed, smooth shifting.

Wish there were larger chainrings made for this crank.

This was my first mod to my stock Brodie Dynamo. The Stylo is much lighter than the stock one. This is my first initiation to Truvativ components. I like the black matt finish with glossy Stylo logo. It looks rugged. After having the shop install this crank for me I used my full body weight (180) on the crank arms while going up some steep hills. After a few rides the bearing seal which feels like it is made of some light metal popped off on the drive side. This might indicate flexing and shifting as the crank is worn in. I wanted to be able to service the crank myself so got myself the Park BB tool and the required crank tool. With my new tools I just basically took the crank off and inspected it, pushed the seal back in place and re-installed everything. Now it is working perfect.
I recommend this for someone who wants a good looking light crank that shifts well and that is pretty easy to install. The only problem and it is a minor one is that I wish Truvativ made larger chainrings than 44 that would fit the Stylo. I only found one place online that carried a 48t and the alloy one is around $70 with shipping. Shimano chainrings do fit but the ring splines are larger and don't match perfectly to the Stylo.

lew242   Cross Country Rider [Jul 15, 2010]
Strength:

Strong, lasts forever, takes massive abuse, black looks sexy unlike gray and silver Shimano yuk style.

Could have CNC chain-rings and better bottom bracket, but not for this price. Will eventually switch to 2x10 system so will retire this eventually. Bolts die eventually too.

Great value. Black powder coat rubs off easily, but I like that because you can easily see who the real riders are!

The crank arms last forever, but chain rings and BB need replacing at least every 10,000kms and one bolt has died after 30,000.

Would buy again, but waiting for 2x10 version to trickle down from X.O. But will just switch out chain rings to CNC after the first year. Don't bother with XTR, Stylo with CNC rings works great!

jsspace   Weekend Warrior [May 20, 2009]

It works great for me, I can trample it stonger and it make the bike rolling faster but without wasting any of my power.
Shift smoothly.

nick314   Weekend Warrior [May 18, 2009]
Strength:

light enough, feels solid (i weigh 150lbs), shifts very well, looks cool

good price
good shifting
nice and shiny if you care about that stuff
strong chainrings-i've hit/landed them in some logs and they're still like new
haven't had any issues with the crank falling apart like other people here

Similar Products Used: first "good" crank, replaced my sr suntour square taper bracket
reigndown3   Weekend Warrior [Apr 03, 2009]
Strength:

Light weight, Extremely Stiff, Reliable, External BB, Easy to maintain

Finish is a little weak on crank arms

Bottom line is the bottom line an amazing crankset for the price, hands down better than any other crank in its price range. This crankset is extremely stiff, especially for me 6' 2" 198lbs, and light weight for me, an all-mountain rider, at 800g. Go and get one! Gets 4 chili's overall just because it better be gold and make me money to get 5 chili's.

Similar Products Used: Race Face Ride XC, Shimano Deore
ahlmanj2011   Weekend Warrior [Mar 08, 2009]
Strength:

Light, stiff, strong, looks great.

None so far...

High end performance with a super low price. Looks great too.

Similar Products Used: Race Face Deus XC, Deore XT, Cannondale SI.
holycrikey   Weekend Warrior [Jan 24, 2009]
Strength:

Easy maintenance, fluid pedaling response (the bottom bracket is very nice), relatively decent weight, chainrings seem incredibly strong thus far, and a great price.

at 800g, it's a bit heavy for some. Also, it appears that the crankarms will be easy victims of shoe wear. After only a few rides I see clear scuffing on the arms.

Btw, the listings on here are a bit mixed up. This review is for the Stylo GXP Team 3.3 crankset. This is a great offering from Truvativ. I had read a few problems about the first years of the GXP crankset. The 2008 and 2009 cranksets are reported to have corrected all problems associated with earlier models. I tossed this crankset on my bike and upgraded from a horrible Isoflow crankset. At 800 grams, some might find it to be a little too heavy. But the chainrings seem incredibly strong and the crankarms are just as strong. Even after hard and nasty shifting, the chainrings show no wear. The crankset has a really fluid response. Pedalling is excellent. I am extremely satisfied with it, especially considered that I got it brand new at just over $100. You can't ask for anything better. I see no comparable offerings from FSA or RaceFace or Shimano for the price. If you can afford more, go elsewhere. But for a VERY solid external BB crankset, I think this one is the clear winner.

Similar Products Used: Other Truvativ cranksets, Shimano LX and XT cranksets.