Truvativ Stylo SL Crankset

Stylo SL

• Truvativ Stylo SL
  • These cranks are for cross country use

• User Reviews (30)

CKPC   Racer [May 18, 2011]
    Strength:

Price and have held up.

Chainrings wear fairly fast

These cranks came on the bike. I rode them for a yr then gave the bike to my son. I rode for fun on weekends with no issues and I am a large rider (200lbs.) My son has used them for 2 yrs XC racing again with no issues. He is much lighter (130lbs). Other then replacing the chainrings each yr and one BB they have performed great. Still using a GXP BB without issues. Not sure if I just got lucky based on others complaints, but neither of us have had any issues.

Similar Products Used: XT cranks
    TravisRidesBikes   Racer [Mar 22, 2009]
    Strength:

Average weight, good strength, relatively reliable

Starts to fall apart as it gets older (common in almost any kind of product) crank arms fall off after a long intense effort

Pretty average product for the price. It started out being really reliable, but as i started getting close to about 125 miles on it, it started breaking down. Crank arm fell off once in a race, but was easily repaired on the go.

Similar Products Used: Truvativ Noir, Shimano Hollowtech
    blainefree   Cross Country Rider [Dec 27, 2008]
    Strength:

I thought it was a good crank bb combo for the first several months. Seemed strong, durable, and looks nice.

Comes loose. Crank arm comes off with aggressive riding.

Just like many other have written, this crank and bb apparently has a design flaw. After approximately 9 months of riding the left crank arm just fall off on the middle of a long ride. Fortunately one of my riding buddies had a bb allen wrench in his camelback to save me from walking 15+ miles out of the desert. After that first incident I noticed the left crank came loose every ride. I started having to carry the big allen wrench on every ride. Today the bolt stripped when I tried tightening it before a ride. Now I cannot tighten the bolt, so it's time for a new bb and crank. I am going to call customer service and hopefully replace it via warranty until I can save up enough $ to replace with XT Hollowtech.

mlhooper   Cross Country Rider [Sep 08, 2008]

Non-drive side crank arm won’t stay on!

On my very first ride, the left crank arm (non-drive side), almost came off!
    I’ve tried using Loctite on it a number of times but it ALWAYS works it way lose again, nothing seems to work.
    I have to carry a wrench every time I ride so I can stop and tighten it.

I have finally decided to call in the warranty on it. Truvativ offers a two year warranty, and the defective part was in production in 2006 so you need to act fast if you are having the same problem as me and everyone else.

If you have purchased a 2006 model bike that has this part on it, call SRAM (parent company of Truvativ) 312-664-8800 costumer service extension 1394.

sgoneau   Cross Country Rider [Aug 04, 2008]
    Strength:

It's a crank and it seems to work. Flex is minimal. Can't comment on weight since I haven't actually compared it to anything else. It came standard on my Stumpy

Always comes loose, ALWAYS!!!! I have snapped the bolt that holds the left arm on already once and I have to tighten the bolt atleast once for each ride.

Bottom line is that this crank is a piece of junk. I am planning on replacing it and the BB with an LX or XT combo as soon as I can. Truvativ is not getting anymore of my money with products this poorly designed.

Icecamp   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2003]
    Strength:

See below

See below

I gave this crankset only one chile in my first review, somehow it ended up 5 chiles. I have been disappointed with this crankset from practically day one. This is to give this crankset the one chile it deserves.

Similar Products Used: See below
    broadsword calling dannyboy   Downhiller [Jul 08, 2003]
    Strength:

Stiff as a board, very competitively priced compared to Shimano and bomb proof build quality.

Ugly, bargain bin looks, awkward to fit bottom bracket

I am genuinely surprised at the amount of criticism that the Truvativ ISIS bottom bracket and Stylo crankset seem to attract. Fitted properly, the b.b. is rock solid with zero flex and it is, or at least seems to be, very smooth and robust. The crankset has been lumbered with a 'cheapskate' image, as it seems to be discounted in virtually every MTB magazine I have read. Saying that, with a recommended selling price equivalent to XT and, more commonly, an actual selling price slightly cheaper than Deore it represents staggering good value and is more than equal to it's XT competitors. I genuinely cannot see any reason to upgrade my cranks until I have the money together for an XTR set up.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX and XT
    Andy   Cross Country Rider [Jun 29, 2007]
    Strength:

I can't think of one.

As many have described, they simply become loose.

I'm glad I checked this thread. I thought I was doing something wrong as these are my first rigs with external bearing BB's. I have had it back out multiple times on my Blur - to the point where I carry a wrench in my pack now. My Nomad backed out once, I tightened it up but now it creaks like my granny's back.... I'm swapping 'em out. Life's too short.

Similar Products Used: They're on my Blur LT also.... same problem, only worse.
    pinkheadedbug   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2007]
    Strength:

Stiff, light.

Rings are ubersoft
    Bearings are garbage
    Cranks constantly come loose
    Can only use with GXP bottom bracket.

It's a piece of cr*p. The cranks themselves are light and stiff, but constantly come loose. I cleaned them, torqued them, blue loctite'd them, but I still ended up having to tighten them once or twice on every 10 mile ride.

The chainrings are made of butter -- within a hundred miles there were chunks missing from them, gouged out by who knows what.

The worst part, however, is the GXP bottom bracket. Mine has now failed twice in the same modality. Basically, the cartridge bearing starts to crunch, and it cannot be replaced.

This crankset is good in theory but the execution is utterly horrible.

DO NOT BUY.

Matt   Weekend Warrior [Jun 17, 2007]
    Strength:

They work fine when they are on.

After 5 to 6 rides doing small jumps and drops the crank comes lose and falls off. It happened twice and untill I replace them, I would not go out without checking them.

They need to be replaced if I am to really trust them and not have to walk home.
    Maybe the work for XC with no jumps?

Similar Products Used: Avanti ventura, not really similar.