Truvativ Stylo 3.3 Team Crankset

• Team GXP BB System
  • Hard Anodized ring Option

[May 25, 2010]
ebrabaek

Strength:

Price.....and a bottom bracket bearing cup 2mm wider than the raceface deux that it replaced

Little ring is crap. It started slipping on steep techno climbs on the first time out.

What really urks me is the lousy support from Shram. I called after I did 4 2 hr rides....Granted....sI`m 200#`s and push hard..... But when I inquired about the slippage on the small ring... They treated me like a kid..( Shram cust. service) and tried to blame it on chain length....poor set up.... then the too long flex of the 29`er 6 inch rear end. Shame on them.
It is clear to me that the angle of the tooth on the little ring (22) are too slack. Whe you push it....the chain goes spank...and explodes off the ring, and the bruises begin.
If you plan on steep climbs, and weigh towards 200#...don`t get this set...you will have issues.... Or get it, and put better rings on it....

Raceface....shimano

[Sep 09, 2009]
RandyBoy

Strength:

I've owned 2 sets of these, one 6 months, one 12 days. aOn separate 29'er bikes. Like the Firex, they have smooth external bottom brackets, one being 68mm with spacers, the other being 73mm and no spacers. GXP bearings have lasted well for this 225# clyde

I've replaced 3 sets of granny and middle ring gears on these, one made early 2006, which were strong and properly heat treated, one set that went to crap, both granny and middle in 600 miles, and the newest one, with a 12th week of 2009 build with a granny gear that crapped out, failed shark toothed 6 consecutive teeth and slipped in 12 days and 135 miles, as logged on my GPS with only sit and spin pedalling, no mashing in granny.

It's my belief that Truvativ has either a material QC problem from their vendors, or a heat treating problem, and these ring gears are soft as butter and fail dangerously when you least expect it, while climbing, risking injury falling over the bars, and crashing, and or injuring ones knee on the stem when the slippage,/ failure occurs.

I've had zero problems and 1200 trouble free miles after changing out to cheap, mild steel ring gears for granny and middle gear on my 6 month old set.

Until SRAM /Truvativ addresses the QC problems, as well as torquing and loctite on all ring gear bolts, avoid these like the plague. They are an injury waiting to happen if you are a Clyde, and the failure occurs at the worst time under extreme load when climbing. I've never once broken a SRAM chain, but I've stretched and worn them out consistently in 600 miles, 4 chains in a row, SRAM 971's. I can't trust hollow pin 991's at my weight.

Shimano XT, Truvativ Firex

[May 20, 2009]
yeti14b

Strength:

Strong design, shifts as well as the XT it replaced, external bearing BB is cool.

None so far.

Hard to beat for the money. Mine is the 2008 model and is a definite value. Read the instruction when installing. The left arm requires a very low torque setting (so much so I thought it was a typo)and as the instructions indicated, I had to torque the left side and then work it loose by applying lateral pressure to the arms and then re-torque them(I actually did this twice). I'm 215 pounds, riding a 21" frame and run them pretty hard and they have not loosened up yet after about 40 hours. I like'em.

Shimano XT

[Mar 30, 2009]
Martino0626

Strength:

Solid and Durable

Finish Rubs Off but Oh Well, Nothing of Substance

The Crank is heavy but its an "ALL MOUNTAIN" crank NOT an XC crank..If you want a lighter crank check out the Truvativ NOIR 3.3s (800g) cranks..But mine were installed by Haro and have needed no maintenance, very solid in my honest opinion... plus they are affordable

Nothing worth mentioning

[Nov 14, 2008]
Al Garcia

Strength:

light, quick and smooth shifts. good value and easy to mount

crank arm falls off

these cranks (stylo 3.3 - 2007 model) give you great performance (clean shifts) except that the left crank arm untightens itself and falls off. the tightening system is not realiable. i contacted the manufacture and they replaced arm without issue though my LBS. only thing the replacement arm is 2008 model and it does not match the drive side arm. however, im hopping this solves the problem. it's my understanding that these cranks were re-engineered in 2008 mainly to resolve this problem.

[Oct 20, 2008]
Zeb

Strength:

Light, Stiff, great shifting, looks good.

see below...

Let me say that this crank is absolutely amazing, when its working. Went through a set of bearings in 4 months and had to replace the bottom bracket. at about the 1 year mark the crank bolt sheared in half, through the thick part. Went to Carytown bikes, who are awesome all the time, and they ordered the bolts. Week later Truvativ sent a pair of bolts free of charge, so kudos for that. 3 on value cause I didn't spend the money for XT, 2 for the overall cause I've already had to replace 2 things that should not have been needed.

old truvativ stylo's, FSA, Shimano

[Oct 12, 2008]
bonaTERRA

Strength:

great setup, i really like the external bb, so easy to work on and maintain. i have read about some of the problems on here and i can say i have had none. im 6'6 240lbs with the 180mm's and ride the hell out of them. i have the larger of the two bb shell sizes and do not need any spacers, but if you have the smaller size you need to be sure and use the spacers and plenty of grease on the axle, nuts, and threads of the bb (for both shell sizes). go ahead and buy the ext bb tool, its cheap. after i toqrued it down for the first time i got about 10 good miles and then it needed to be tightened again and i haven't heard from it since.

none, i think they should include the tool though

for the money you cant beat them, i could see some problems arising with older frames, consider refacing. 5 flaming chilis!

shimano fc series, deore xt, alivio, race face

[Sep 21, 2007]
Aaron

Strength:

Look great and very stiff

A little heavy

Haven't used them that long yet, but a world of difference compared to the cranks that came with the frame. These cranks are so stiff it makes it easy to climb. Bearings are nice and smooth and make rolling in low gear a piece of cake. Can't imagine how nice these cranks would feel with some ceramic bearings. For the price these can't be beat!

Truvativ Isoflow (OEM)

[Sep 13, 2007]
Georgiy Romanov

Strength:

Looks good, light.

It's made from plastic!

I'm a all-mountain rider and i was searching light and cheap cranks for my bike. If you weight over 210 lbs - don't buy this cranks anyway.

Then i setup them it's all be ok, but after a month of riding they are starting creaking. After 500 km i replace all chainrings, then i broke the main aluminium bolt, and after all that i broke groove on the left crank.

P.S. The self extractor can self extracting =)))

Truvativ Hussefelt, Prodigy DH

[Apr 05, 2007]
Jeremy Bryan

Strength:

Looks good, fairly light. Good value and great alternative to super high dollar cranks (XTR, Stylo Carbon) for a small amount of weight. Replacable chainrings.

None so far

They look good, they're light, and they're strong. All in all they're leaps and bounds better than my 7 year old Specialized cranks that they replaced (had to have a bike shop jackhammer the rusty bottom bracket out). My old crank was missing three teeth on the middle ring and the rings weren't replacable so I had to upgrade.

I'm not a weight weenie but these things are rather light. They're really not that much heavier than XTR's or Stylo Carbons and as far as I can tell they perform about the same for less than half the price.

I'm pretty happy with them so far but I don't have a lot of miles on them yet. I'm gonna abuse them for a few months and write another review.

Stock Specialized cranks (Strongarm?)