Truvativ Holzfeller Triple Crankset 04 Crankset

Holzfeller Triple Crankset 04

Big and beefy for hardcore riding, but with a triple chainring setup so you can still pedal in all conditions.

A D   Weekend Warrior [Sep 23, 2005]
Strength:

Easy to mount. Stiff. Not Shimano.

Easy to mount crooked. A bit heavy (Duh! It's a downhill crank).

The crank mounted without a problem. Or so I thought. Every time I was in the top ring cranking hard, though, the chain would rub. I finally figured out that the crankset was crooked. Easy enough to unmount, check, and remount.

Now, I sometimes overshoot the top ring. I haven't figured out yet if it's the chainring, the derailleur, the bottom bracket width or what. I have at least narrowed it down to me being an amature mechanic.

I really only do weekend cross country stuff. I don't do downhilling. So, this crank is too heavy for my use, even though I'm not a weight weenie. But, the Hussfelts have good reviews, and the Hozfellers should be better, right? And I couldn't pass up the special offer... got 'em as cheap as LXs.

They've taken a beating. They survived being crooked without screwing up the rest of my drivetrain. I can't say they're a bad set of cranks. They might be suited to downhillers or riders who attack rock gardens with gusto. I don't: I occasionally go through mud, tree roots, the occasional rock garden, but for the most part, fairly tame trails and asphalt. It's just not the right crankset for me.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT, LX, Deore. SR Suntour.
Roland Lubiszewski   Weekend Warrior [Aug 03, 2005]
Strength:

Stong Stiff good looking. Durable threads.

Anodizing wears off on the crankarms

This is the second bike i have put my holzfellers on and when i put them om the scream i also had to remove the driveside crankarm (a ridiculous amount of times because im a crap mechanic) to install my chainguide. Basically its been on and off more times than i can count and its still fits tighter than a bratwurst in a keyhole because the treads in the crankarm are so darned tough. They also came through a week of tough riding at the Mountain Mayhem event in Ã…re with no other damages than a little worn off Anodizing. I recommend them for any freerider who likes to do big drops....like me *cough* Id give it four chiliz if it wasent for the weak anodizing.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Xtr Shimano hyperdrive C shimano LX
Matt   [Mar 09, 2005]
Strength:

Very stong and rigid. Amazingly light, looks sharp.

None.

This is an excellent crankset. It is very tough and rigid. There is very little flexing. The chainrings are strong and have not let the chain slip once. The crankarms are very stong and look sharp. This crankset is much lighter than I was expecting it to be. The weight-to-strangth ratio is incredible. I have it paired with the Truvativ GigaPipe Max Ti bottom bracket and it's truly great.