Truvativ Hammerschmidt Crankset

Hammerschmidt

The Truvativ HammerSchmidt All Mountain Crankset could revolutionize bicycle drivetrains from this point forward by eliminating that last bastion of low-tech: the front derailleur. Gone are the days of jammed or dropped chains, missed shifts, and bent cages. The move is in favor of a seamless and bulletproof system that magically squeezes two gears out of a single chainring. The best part is that it will shift in any condition -- load or no load -- any time you wish.A system of planetary gears contained within HammerSchmidt's surprisingly compact and thoroughly sealed housing yields either a 1:1 or a 1.6:1 Overdrive gear ratio. Thus, a single 22T chainring delivers 22/36T versatility and a 24T ring provides the same range as a 24/38T. All along, the chain is held on tight by the included chain guide and you even gain more ground clearance, too. If you're envisioning downhill security with all-mountain versatility, you're on the right track.Even better, this wizardry comes with only a modest weight penalty and virtually no increase in Q-factor. At 1623g, a complete HammerSchmidt All Mountain system adds less than 180g to a comparable setup using a Truvativ Stylo two-ring crank and chain guide. It offers more reliable, faster shifting, and it's tough as nails and way, way cooler. The Truvativ HammerSchmidt All Mountain Crankset will only mount on frames with ISCG 03 or ISCG 05 tabs, and it requires the use of the matching HammerSchmidt bottom bracket and trigger shifter. Crankarms are available in both 170mm and 175mm lengths.

jmk   Cross Country Rider [Dec 02, 2013]
Strength:

Compact, strong (cranksets, not the BB), no chain drops. You can shift in any situation. Silent and flawless in 1:1.

Weak BB bearings. Annoying sound and drag in overdrive. Too heavy. Can´t handle mud.

This is an update after several years of use. I used to love how compact it is (no clearance problems with 29er meaty tires) and how silent it was when in 1:1. It also felt strong, the crank at least. I could live with the noise in overdrive, but the drag...did not bother me too much at the beginning but over time it became intolerable. I avoided shifting more and more, but then what´s the point in having this thing whose mayor point is the flawless shifting (when properly set up of course)? In addition, as I read several times in forums, the BB bearings were weak and maintenance and BB replacement became too much of a burden. Another strength (less maintenance) of the system turned into a flaw.Finally, when I moved to a muddy place the HS just couldn´t take it. It accumulated mud like no other derailleur I have had; and mud got inside, in spite of the mud claw, and you could feel the dirt inside the mechanism, even after thorough cleaning. I just had to disassemble after every ride pretty much, and that´s intolerable. So the device became condemned in mi mind. I have now a XX1 crankset and the difference is so huge I realize I was forcing myself a bit into appreciating the HS. It can die off and the world won´t notice it.

Similar Products Used: Shimano front derailleurs; SRAM XX1crankset.
bigfoot_mt   Weekend Warrior [Mar 31, 2013]
Strength:

The ability to instantly shift from granny gear to middle ring is as good as advertised.

Mechanical drag when in overdrive. Had to grind it down to fit on frame of Kona Honzo.

I have always been curious about the HS and when in the market for a new frame had to get ISCG tabs to be able to try it out. Found a decent deal on a used HS on Ebay and decided to go for it.
When I first installed it I was surprised at how much drag there was in overdrive. Explanation: when you have it in "granny gear" it spins effortlessly and transfers all your power to the drive train. When you engage overdrive in order to simulate gearing of a middle ring there is a certain amount of drag that comes along with it.
Coming from a 1x9 I had envisioned myself mostly using the over drive to simulate the middle ring and then engage the normal mode when I had a long hill to climb. After seeing the drag I was worried that I had wasted my money.
However after riding with it for 5 days in Moab and Sedona I have fallen in love. I use it differently than I had imagined. I found myself primarily using the standard mode most of the time. Who knew riding in the granny gear could be so fun when you have the proper chainline? I realized that when riding 1x9 I had mostly used the lower range of my gears, so riding in the higher range of the granny gear was pretty comparable. The nice thing is now when I am ready to head downhill I can instantly kick it into high gear. I am using the 24 tooth ring rather then the 22 tooth which gives me a little higher gear ratios.

kd   All Mountain Rider [Jun 22, 2012]
Strength:

Solid crankset! Had to make minor adjustments after first ride. Crankset would "ghost" shift from over-drive to 1:1 ratio.

After having the Hammerschmidt All Mountain crankset installed on my Maverickml 8 with aftermarket monolink to accomodate ICSG03 tab. During my first ride after initial install, the Hammerschmidt crank would "ghost" shift from 1.6:1 to 1:1. This is resolved by adjusting cable length and barrel adjuster.

Changing out the triple ring crankset to the Hammerschmidt has made a world of difference to the way I climb over obstacles. No more having to rock over rocks and logs with traditional triple ring crankset.

Similar Products Used: N/A
sk8dad   [Apr 18, 2012]
Strength:

Flawless any time shift (forward pedaling, reverse pedaling, coasting, standing still, under load). High ground clearance. Chain drop/suck nearly impossible. Cross shift all you want! Last minute shift if you didn't plan ahead. Shorter armed rear derailleur and shorter chain required (more crisp rear shifting as a result). Does not go out of adjustment once set up correctly. Can mount on ISCG frames that are not front derailleur compatible.

A bit heavier than the comparable 2x AM setup. Noisy when hucking. Hums when in high gear. Expensive. Replacement parts expensive, but what high end component isn't? Requires ISCG or ISCG 05 compatible frame and that the tabs are properly faced.

I've always been happy with my 2x9 setup up on my trail bikes. I don't race and am not a speed demon on the downhill runs, so I seldomly using the big ring. Came across an awesome deal $300 for a mounted but never ridden set in box, so I though I'd give it a shot for my 2010 Specialized Enduro Comp I also picked up a the same bike swap.

FRAME PREP and INSTALLATION:
Initially, after reading the detailed section about frame preparation from the printed manual, I had some concerns that the LBS won't mess up my frame doing the ISCG facing improperly. It turns out that the tech knew what he was doing, and the facing came back perfectly within spec. Apparently, my ISCG tabs were almost a full mm off perpendicular from the bb axis. On the Enduro, the BB-ISCG-rear triangle pivot is one giant casting, and as such, you'd imagine the ISCG tabs would be pretty close to perpendicular with the BB axis, but no. The spacing washers that came with the crankset can accomodate a variety of BB-to-ISCG offsets (including flush). Once I got the frame home, the installation took about the same time as a traditional crankset. One note, Truvative's instructions does not note that which direction the spindle should be oriented. I used common sense (correctly) and oriented the longer end towards the drive side. I wonder if the DVD instructions (included) are more detailed...whatever.

INITIAL RIDE
Weird. First of all, as expected the reversed shifter trigger assignments was very confusing. I've used X9 and X0 shifters for quite a while, only now it looks and feels like a X9 shifter, but the buttons do opposite of what you'd expect relative to the gearing. In the Hammerschmidt, high gear (1:1.6) is normal and low gear (1:1) is pulled (think rapid rise for the front). I guess I'll just get used to it eventually, but poor design choice Truvativ. Even a simple toggle would be superior here. Reversed trigger issue aside, the other immediate issue I had was that I'm so used to giving the cranks 1/2 a revolution unloaded between shifts that I didn't take full advantage of the instant shift qualities of the Hammerschmidt. Furthermore, when I did conciously maintain load, I found the transition jarring as the instant shift is really that, instant--like slipping the foot of the clutch in a car. It's also impossible to tell which gear you're in just by looking. Another observation which really is a non-issue is the whining in high gear. This is normal, and I'm not so much bothered by it as annoyed by having to explain to nearby fellow riders why my bike make sounds. Lastly, when doing any kind of drops, some internal parts make noise, and I can notice this over the noise of the chain slap in the rear.

AFTER AN HOUR
The reversed trigger still confused me unless I thought about it consciously. I've started to tune out the extra noises and began to focus on the actual drive train performance as it relates to the riding. I LOVE it! The particular trails are essentially giant rollers--constant climbing followed by constant descents and repeat. In the past, I've always had to concentrate on when to shift and and plan ahead. Even with years of experience, sometimes I still lapse and find myself in the wrong ring up front. Now, I simply stay in high gear and pop it into low when I need it last minute. This way I can shoot up the hill much farther before the extend climb starts. Similarly, for the descent, I can now pedal through the rocks at the peak, start my tuck then shift up while beginning my downhill coast instead of having to spend time/distance making sure I've finished shifting to the big ring before my tuck. While doing some technical flat grade riding through a field of rocks, I was beginning to abuse the shifting by popping to high gear in between rocks (like 10 feet) and back to low once my front wheel got back up on the next rock. That's a bit excessive, but it's doable for whatever reason. I also welcomed the remarkable ground clearance. It's essentially the diameter of a 24-toothed ring!

AFTER A FEW RIDES:
Got used to the reversed trigger but still unsure at times which gear I'm in, but a quick flick of the trigger clears that right up. I'm totally getting spoiled by the instant shifting though. I find my self now shifting the front more than the rear if you believe that! I've got about 50 miles on it now and it works just as the day I installed it. No adjustments at all. It just works period. Both set of ratchet rings are each engaged by 3 pawls. The beauty of the design is that the 1:1 low gear loads the larger of the two ratchet rings which is about 3" diameter. This would exceed even that of some of the best hubs/freewheels out there in terms of load capacity. Plus, all the parts are user serviceable.

SHORT TERM VERDICT
Debatable at MSRP, but a definite YES YES YES at $300 and if you're not a weight weenie.

neotym   All Mountain Rider [Mar 15, 2012]
Strength:

I'm riding the Hammerschmidt AM and it is amazing!
As for the weight factor, note that when you take into account the loss of a large chainring & front derailleur coupled with the heightened ground clearance & add the efficiency of the Hammerschmidt... it's a huge plus!

While it does make a light whirling buzz sound in the 1:1.6 ratio I can discern NO drag. I really think people are hearing that (rather minor, certainly not loud as some say) sound and interpreting it as drag. I feel none). It was a bit louder for my first 2-3 rides but now is a non-factor. The sounds are not a distraction at all for me, in fact I use the louder clicking sound made by pedaling backwards in the 1:1.6 ratio to let people know I'm coming on curvy DH switchback trails. Very useful & only makes this sound when pedaling backwards.

None so far.

Two thumbs up from this SoCal all mtn rider. (For reference, I ride 5-6 days/wk with rides consisting of 3-4 mile climbs of 1200-2000 ft. of vertical. Then technical singletrack trails [often rocky w/ drop-offs] back down - for me the HS is perfect)

Similar Products Used: There is nothing similar to the HS (not withstanding internal gearbox set-up... crazy money for those). I also ride a Shimano XT Hollowtech crank on my XC bike.
kameraguy   Weekend Warrior [Jan 31, 2012]
Strength:

Everything advertised is true. Shift anytime you want, load independent. Integrated chain retention. More clearance than a traditional bash guard.

HEAVY. Freewheel "rattle" as others mentioned. Spendy (but if you think about how much a nice traditional crankset costs, the extra cost is not too much given all the advantage IMHO).

Let me start off saying the rattling sound when you freewheel is audible, but not nearly as annoying as some make it out to be. Of course it would be nice to be quieter, but really, it's not that big a deal. Also, the drag in the overdrive mode is NOT THAT BAD too. Is it there, sure. But I honestly don't notice. Then again, I'm not doing XC races so perhaps I'm less critical over efficiency.

Prior to running the Hammerschmidt, I had a single-ring setup. This was light and I never dropped a chain but I also had less success clearing climbs.

I didn't want to run a traditional front derailleur, so I looked into the Hammerschmidt as a good alternative. Found a great deal on it and it has been a godsend.

Simply put: I absolutely LOVE it. It was one of the best purchases I made for my bike aside from converting to gravity dropper seatposts. If you can think of it this way: neither is really "necessary", but they make a positive improvement to your fun and performance.

With the hammerschmidt, all the advertised features are legit. Shifting is perfect. So fast. Anytime. Clearance for obstacles is impressive. Chain retention is also addressed with a variable top plate.

One caveat: make sure you buy the right version that matches your ICG tab spacing. I made the mistake and got the wrong kind, but fortunately my LBS was able to order the replacement back plate to address the problem.

It's going to add a pound or two to your bike if coming from a standard crankset. But obviously this is no light-weight part.

The crankset seriously rocks. If you hate front derailleurs more than extra weight, this is the best way to go if you want more than one gear up front. No complaints so far. It has worked flawless for me. Now if only they would make a lighter version, but I have no idea if they are even pursuing development anymore...which is a shame if so because this is an awesome piece of kit.

specialev   Cross Country Rider [Jun 30, 2011]
Strength:

On the fly shifting, fantastic clearance, sealed assembly

Heavy and noisy

This came on a bike I bought used from a friend and now I couldn't imagine using anything else. The on the fly shifting and clearance makes up for the weight gain you suffer. I haven't had any maintennance issues with it yet though after a year the bash guard has a crack...need to replace that.

fatcat   Weekend Warrior [May 18, 2011]
Strength:

it works

costs too much

I like it so much that I converted a 2009 stinky air to one as well. It shifts well and never let me down. Easy to install as well.