Truvativ FiveD Triple Crankset

FiveD Triple

• Steel Chainrings
  • The massive forged arms are considerable stiffer than last year.

• User Reviews (76)

pres   [Aug 07, 2014]
    Strength:

light for the price, easy to install, aluminium big chainring . its all fine

none so far

i replacec XCL and got this truvativ used for aboit 20$ - they had a little rust on the medium chinring and the bolts. and i had no problems at all, removed them and installed them a coulple of times for maitanance, no problem at all. i use the m for light mtb/XC and a lot of urban riding. the are used overeall 2-3 years not heavy use. very little chainring wear

dave mann   [Oct 13, 2013]
    Strength:

Cheap and functions well. Durable.

Not the smoothest crankset.

Abused this thing for a year with no issues. Outer chain ring is soft and I've bashed it on some rocks destroying some teeth.File those down and it still works but given the gearing the middle chainring will suffice. Never did any real maintenance on this crankset in the 1500 miles except getting the hose out and washing mud away. Still worked fine until i stuffed a crankarm into a boulder and bent something in the bottom bracket. Unfortunately this is a square taper so not many options for aftermarket bb. Went to an external bb so couldn't use the crankset. It's a good durable entry level crankset though but wouldn't recommend purchasing this as you'll be limited with bb choices once it's time to replace.

mcad3   Cross Country Rider [Sep 24, 2011]
    Strength:

Durability and so fast.

None that really affected my riding

Brilliant. Every single day for 2 years, 10 miles a day, I have cycled along a windy seafront in all weather conditions, storms, gales, snow you name it. This chainset has needed no attention at all exept for now I may need a new bb. Honestly this has been superb and if I hadn't stepped up to xtr and slx I would still use it. It's fast too.

Similar Products Used: Slx and many others
    crosey   Weekend Warrior [Aug 03, 2011]

Strips easy

The crankset came with my Motobecane stock. It's garbage. Had the bike since December, only riding since May, and I'm gonna have to replace it already. The crank arm stripped and fell off while riding. Couldn't find the bolt anywhere on the trail.

Hossman   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2011]
    Strength:

I have read the reviews of the Truvativ 5D chainrings and the main theme I can concur with is the fact the left hand Ccrank kept working loose from the time I got the bike. On a weeks trailing in les Gets, France it would work loose every 150yards or so. Eventually I got it to stay on. That said I have been through 4 raceface bottom brackets and two truvativ ones until I settled for an SKF bottom bracket...I have had this in the bike for four years and took it out yesterday to clean it up and its as good as the day i installed it. The 5D chain rings are as old as the bike and should have been changed yonks ago. However as they still worked I decided not to touch them, But ever increasing incidents of chain suck meant i had too. I am now going for Race Face Deus see how I fair with them

Left hand crank constantly working loose despite torquing, locktight and superglue

These have been a tough set of rings which have given me good value for money. However, on the otherside of the frame, the left hand crank constantly working loose has driven me to despair. i doubt if I would get another set.

duggary   Weekend Warrior [Sep 26, 2010]
    Strength:

It worked for a year and a half of solid weekend riding.

It worked for a year and a half of solid weekend riding.

I felt bad for all the negative reviews of this crankset until each and every one of them started happening to me. the chain suck, the paint wearing off in the first few feet of riding, the constant sqeaking and groaning, followed by my left crank arm falling off this weekend with no warning. I had my toolset and re-tightened it on the trail but it kept backing out every half mile or so until I got angry and stripped the cheap metal treads. oh well. would have been nice if it at least lasted back to the car.

Similar Products Used: Haro
    SkinsFan   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2010]
    Strength:

Crank arm stayed on, black, no problems

they are cheap...i have to admit none

This crank has been no problem what so ever. The arm never came off, the chainring is straight and fine. The shifting isn't the greatest though. no matter what the lbs did, the two smallest and the two biggest gears rub on it. I have to admit I am quite used to cheap ones...sr suntour xcc-100 square tapered...chewed my legs 3 times...therefore i am grateful for these cranks...(but they have chewed my pants...) :)

Similar Products Used: sr suntour xcc-100
    Detective365   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2009]
    Strength:

Ummm, using the bolts as spare parts?

-flex
    -wear quickly
    -left crank arm has a tendency to fall off
    -Shifting is spotty; those pins on the chainrings cause chainsuck like you wouldn't believe

These cranks are a poor investment. I had problems with them from the get-go; shifting errors, chainsuck, the whole nine yards. To top it off, the crank arm won't stay on! Kinda hard to ride with just my right pedal... which i actually had to do, since the "accident" happened while i was on the trail TO the singletrack! Hadn't even gotten to mash it yet!

Long story short, said goodbye to the cranks after a month, moved on to the FireX's, and have been pretty happy with them. I'm not continually checking the cranks to make sure theyre not falling off, etc. Learning experience; you get what you pay for! Still, these cranks will probably injure you if you're not careful to check the bolt tightness at least once at the beginning, once in the middle, and once at the end of your ride. That shouldn't happen no matter how little you pay for your crank.