SRAM XX1 Crankset

XX1

The Sram XX1 is developed for maximum chain control, each tooth’s thickness is precisely CNC-machined to support the chain’s inner and outer links perfectly. Six available chain rings allow you to tune your gear range to match your terrain, wheel size and riding style. Each X-SYNC chain ring fits a single, universal spider allowing you to change rings without removing the light-weight carbon crank arm.

Cayenne_Pepa   All Mountain Rider [May 25, 2016]
Strength:

~ Very stiff
~ Solid BB interface
~ Crankarm guards/pedal interface protectors
~ Easily accepts Absolute Black oval chainrings
~ Set and forget operation
~ Chain guide not needed, thanks to solid narrow wide teeth
~ Good strength to weight ratio
~ Silent operation

Zilch

Coming from creaky, problematic Race Face Nest SL Cinch cranks....the XX1 simply works, period. I had them ALL and this is the best value for the scrilla...

Similar Products Used: ~ Race Face NEXT SL Cinch
~ Specialized S-Works FACT 11
~ Shimano XTR M9000
~ Cannondale SiSL2
~ FSA SL-K BB30
Jérôme   [May 07, 2015]
Strength:

Looks well
strong
stiff
reliable

you have to switch between rings if you change riding location for smaller gears - in Provence I ride a 30 teeth in the Apls I need a 28
with 29er gears ratios can be an issue

work week nothing to complain about
If not that gear ratio is way to large for 29er !

VonFalkenhausen   [Jul 27, 2014]
Strength:

Light, stiff, cheap, chain control

Developed creak, poor spider to crank interface.

Maybe I missed an option to edit my previous review, but consider this an update. I am no longer running these cranks because they developed a creak. Looking into the source of the creak, I found it was coming from the spider-to-crank interface. When I pulled it all apart I was surprised at how sloppy the fit is without the 3 small bolts torqued down. This is a poor design, a creaking bike is super annoying and this design looks to make a creak inevitable. A lock-ring style interface would be better. Back to XTR cranks for me. M985 + Wolftooth ring works just as well, weighs less, looks better and no creaks.

Von Falkenhausen   [Mar 27, 2014]
Strength:

Light
Stiff
Durable so far
Perfect chain control
Solid value

They look.... ok

I got these on a Chainlove deal, so my value rating is very high, but they would still be a good deal at regular price. Other than the odd cosmetics and clear plastic scuff protection layer making them look kind of special, I really like these cranks. And the looks aren't really bad, they just aren't what I am used to since these are the first SRAM parts to sneak onto my bike since I bought a bike that came with X-Rays. These replaced my old XTR cranks, and feel just as solid and have been trouble free. The narrow-wide chainring is no longer a SRAM exclusive, but it works great. And being able to easily swap out chainrings is a nice touch.

Jason   [Mar 24, 2013]
Strength:

they look good, easy to change rings. cheap for what it is.

As with all sram carbon cranks, they scratch and chip very easy.
They also have totally stuffed up on the chainline. (I am running 168Q factor GXP on my Santacruz Tallboy C
the chain ring really needs to be about 5mm further inboard to get a better chainline on the 42 tooth.
As it is it is ligned up with a straight chain in about 7th gear.
At moment it is really extreme and you can see it wearing the front ring.

Works ok.
pity they didn't get chainline correct
pity that the chainrings don't fit normal BCD's.

Steve   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2013]
Strength:

Light, it's a 1x set-up, clean looking

None yet. A little pricey, but a good crank is expensive.

I have run a 1x set-up on my bikes for the past 3 or 4 years and have always needed a chain guide of some sort. With the unique alternating “wide tooth, narrow tooth” pattern of the XX1 chain ring I have not had a chain drop yet (about 200 miles of ride time) without a guide. Before I dropped the extra money for the XX1 rear derailleur, free-hub body, shifter and cassette I wanted to see if I could just use the XX1 crank with a standard rear cassette and derailleur. Works just fine.

Similar Products Used: No similar products available, but used mostly Surley chain rings and xtr cranks.