SRAM XX Crankset

XX

Coming in at 754 grams (GXP w/ BB),The XX Crank delivers amazing performance and durability with no penalties in weight.The first MTB crank specifically designed for 2x10 uses some ofThe world's most advanced material science.The oversized chainrings are CNC machined 7075 Aluminum blanks-2mmThickerThanThe competition. Unparalleled stiffness is delivered by an increased Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD) and aTwo-piece insert-molded carbon composite construction.The XX Crank geometry provides a narrow Q

Zachariah   All Mountain Rider [Dec 03, 2013]
Strength:

~ Light cranks
~ Shifting is instant and smooth
~ Thicker chainrings than standard
~ Multiple shift ramps, for being easy on chains
~ Pedal spindle insert is actually machined crank end - slides inside carbon arms
~ Killer race graphics
~ Two chainline options to choose from

~ Pricey
~ Does not include bottom bracket(GXP/BB30/PF30/BB95)
~ Spider is not removeable, for increased chainring options, like X0

I was initially reluctant to buy a carbon-armed crankset, after years of being spoiled with Cannondale's super-stiff, beefy, Hollowgram Si SL BB30 cranks. The common failure point of many carbon cranks is the pedal spindle interface, which often becomes unbonded with heavy, high-torque(standing pedaling) use. SRAM remedied this quirky mating of dissimilar materials, by wrapping a machined alloy crank end with high-modulus, unidirectional carbon. The crank arms also has a light foam inner core, which further drops the weight.

Shifting is instant and smooth. The thick, 3mm rings has zero flex under most conditions. The 2x10 is ideal for fast, singletrack XC and Trail use. Mash the cranks and you feel the lurch of acceleration. Your cranking effort goes directly to forward motion. For those who wish for lower gearing - you will need to go SRAM X0, for the option of a removeable spider and smaller OEM rings, to nail the steepest of climbs.

Be aware this race crank does not come with a BB. I suggest you buy the Race Face crank end protectors, to mitigate pedal strike damage on the trail. If you don't have that perfect, feet-straight-forward pedal stroke - get clear plastic crankarm skins too.

Similar Products Used: ~ Cannondale Hollowgram Si SL
~ Shimano XTR
Jason R   [Jan 25, 2013]
Strength:

Weight, stiffness, durability

I was thinking about going with the x9 but I'm glad I went xx. I'm 230 lbs and I've noticed no flex at all while pedaling. I thought that carbon fiber would be a bit flexy, but I was happily surprised.It's always nice to have a component on your bike that you don't need to think about while riding. This crankset has been trouble free for months and I don't anticipate any problems at this point. I have the 170mm crank arms so I don't worry much about pedal strikes but I did install Race Face crank boots on them to be safe. I just ordered some crank skins as well. I consider this a good investment since it will maintain most of it's value if I ever want to upgrade or sell. I'm using this with an XO front derailleur and SRAM x9 type 2 rear derailleur and it's smooth as butter!

dgreene2010   [Aug 15, 2012]
Strength:

Buttery shifting, stiff, flashy

None so far

Found this crank online for $350 and swiped it up for my RIP9! After 14 months of use it has performed flawlessly minus a couple bent teeth, but that's due to a lack of a bash-guard and rider error. This is probably the stiffest that I have ever ridden (lol that's what she said)! If I could find the same price I would probably buy it again, but I would have a hard time pulling the trigger if I had to pay $500+ to be honest. For the price I got, 5 chilis!

paulrb02   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2012]
Strength:

Super Stiff
Light Weight

The replacement chain rings are a bit pricey
Scratches up easily

I'm 270lbs so I can usually make anything bend. I was riding the Sram x9 crank (39-26) and I had no problems, but when I upgraded to XX (39-26) I noticed how much more stiff it was. I had the 156 gxp version. The 156 was nice for me as I could use 20mm pedal extenders and get a good cleat placement, while before I had to use washers. (and yes I had a BG fit) Shop around for prices as they can vary a good bit, but if you think you can handle a 39T chainring and want something that is not only strong, but is also light weight then you won't be disappointed. The replacement big ring will cost you about $70 when the time comes.

Similar Products Used: Sram X9, and X0 cranks and Shimano 2x SLX crank
Varaxis   Weekend Warrior [Jun 05, 2011]
Strength:

X-Glide
Strong chainrings
Lightweight
Narrower Q-factor option

Price
GXP BB interface only
2x10 only
Expensive to replace chainrings

X-Glide chainrings (and cassette) is a league ahead of anything else out there. If you want truly improved shifting performance, save your money on extra composite, Ti bits, and extra machining on your FD/RD, shifters, and crank arms and go for the new XG cassette and XX chainrings. Shifting under pressure is MUCH improved over '11 XO (PowerGlide 2 cassette and non-X-Glide chainring) and DynaSys stuff.

Also, as far as I know, this is the only crank that offers a narrower Q-factor for dialing in fit (distance between crank arms). It won't fit every bike, do to chainstay clearance, but if you have narrow hips, you will feel better with this.

Sells for less than new XO cranks in most cases too, though those have X-glide chainrings too. I'll take the XX prestige and lower price over a flat black look with white and blue/red/whatever logo.

Similar Products Used: FSA Afterburner 386 (2x10), Truvativ Noir, Shimano XTR, XT, SLX, RaceFace Atlas and many lower end cranks
bobwalk   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2011]
Strength:

Flawless shifting, excellent gear ratios, brings feet closer to frame, no flex

None yet

Took me a couple of rides to get used to the gearing, but once I did was riding faster than ever. I am running the 2x10 26 x 39 crankset and 11/36 cassette (a lot of big climbs around here). As many usable gear combos as a triple crankset, with much better shifting. Less chain deflection means more power to the rear wheel. Very smooth pedaling and I like having my feet closer to the frame. Best drivetrain I've ever used.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XTR
ltb   Racer [Dec 21, 2010]
Strength:

lack of crossover gears, faultless shifts, front and rear, lack of maintenance

bit close clearance on my ibis mojo

Ignore all the Q's about lack of granny gear (I have old old runners knees) and it is a minimal difference. It works superbly with virtually no maintenance. The lack of crossover gear ratios ensure less triple+ shifts, the only negative is on the mojo sl, 2010 set up I have it is mighty close between the outer chainring and the chainstay, there is no flex though and so far no issues. It aint cheap but you get what you pay for - faultless in all riding from 8 hour enduro's to all mountain climb/ descent, dust, heat, sun, mud, rain....

Similar Products Used: xt, xtr
Dale Greenhalgh   Racer [Oct 30, 2010]
Strength:

Light weight! Perfect Ratios. Shifting is fantastic! Love the shifters

Chainrings wear fast, The sram 10 sp chain wears out even faster.
Using for 6 months and am on my 3rd chain, and needed to change the small 26 chainring.

Worth the money if you are racing. For everyday use it might be a bit overkill. But now they have new 2x10 coming out in the lower cost kits.

Similar Products Used: Xt, XTR, NOIR
billopilot   Cross Country Rider [Jun 30, 2010]
Strength:

Very Light, First time pedaling you can feel the weight difference, Shifts to the big sprocket under load, looks great. Love it, climbs very well. shift is very positive. Running XX shifters, front and rear derailleur, they work great!

Using the 26/39, could use a little more gear on top. Wish you could do the 26/42 combo but I guess the can not be interchanged

Greatest thing that has come along in while in Mountain biking! Do not miss the other gears at all, even with the 39 chain ring I'm still running consistently faster than XTR on my 26 in Bike