SRAM X7 S1400 2X10 GXP Crankset

X7 S1400 2X10 GXP

Looking for a double mtb cranksetThat wont breakThe bank? SRAMs got you covered withThe S1400. Its lightweight, strong and affordable! Strong and lightweight OCT hollow forged crankarms Optimized AL7050 construction X-Glide 2x10 shiftingTechnology External GXP bottom bracket with Gutter SealTechnology Includes crankarms, chainrings and bottom bracket Fits 68 or 73mm bottom bracket shells

wschruba   [May 08, 2012]
Strength:

Light, stiff, ease of installation/removal

non integrated spider

After riding for several weeks, I am supremely satisfied with my new crankset. It comes with a bottom bracket and [fairly] verbose installation instructions, and is noticeably stiffer than a three piece crank. Installing the cranks was a short process, and only involves tightening one bolt. I also appreciate the ability to use a wider number of gears, and the simplicity in shifting that 2x10 brings.

My only gripe, so to speak, is that the spider is not integrated with the arm. It is, however, very securely attached to the crank, and there are spiderless chainring options on the aftermarket, if that is your thing.

Holmes   Weekend Warrior [Apr 27, 2012]
Strength:

Stiff, reasonably light, solid shifting

Stock cranks use a 80/120 BCD spider, to run a lower gearing requires purchase of a new spider.

After using these cranks for a few months I am now sold on double cranks for MTB'ing. I think the X.7 2.10 group in general is good value for the $$, shifting has been spot on, no complaints.

My only complaint about these cranks is that the stock 26/39t gearing was just a tad bit too high for me. The stock rings / spider are 80/120mm. My only option for lower gearing was to buy the X.9 22/36t conversion kit (which uses 64/104mm rings and a new spider), which was fairly spendy. Upshifting from the 22t to 36t might take a tad more effort but otherwise this is the perfect gearing for me.

Similar Products Used: Various Shimano triple cranks, Surly Mr Whirly SS cranks
jmk999   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2011]
Strength:

Quick shifts, plenty stiff, relatively light, affordable

None, so far

The s1400 is an inexpensive way to see if 2 x 10 is a good choice (for me, it definitely is). Set up on my SRAM twist-shift bike was extremely easy, requiring only shortening the chain and readjusting the front derailluer. Not only is performance flawless, they actually weigh less than the older (splined) XTR cranks they replaced.