SR Suntour XCC Crankset

• Crank arm: New 4 arm design
  • Compatible speed: 24S
  • Material: AC4C Accurad forging

Chris Patton   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2013]
Strength:

Good for light trail riding, slow gradual ascents, steep hill descents.

Nothing over 22 mph on hills, chain slippage and clicking when pushed.

Like pzo, I've gotten my fair share out of this crank, not always a happy camper though. I've beat the crap out of mine for 6 yrs and I ride 50 miles minimum, every other day. I'm 200lbs and do ascents of 1500 ft, 3 to 4 times a ride, depending what Trail I take. I put 2500 miles per year roughly, on this crank in 5 different States and figure the total mileage to be around 19,000. Can't complain too much, went thru 2 chains, so you make the choice. I just replaced Rear Wheel, newer Alivio HG-51 cassette, newer Alivio Derailleur, and new SRAM PC890 Chain. putting on new Shimano Alivio M411 Hybrid Crankset 170mm x 48/38/28 and new BB on this weekend, maybe some new Steel Bead Kenda XC's, to show the Old Gal I still care!

Tama   Cross Country Rider [Mar 02, 2013]
Strength:

They looked pretty and turned over nice.... for a second.

Very soft teeth.

I've only had my haro flightline two for a couple of weeks. Ride mainly in hard pack dirt and pavement commuting to and from work. I wasn't expecting top of the line for what I paid but two teeth on the big ring have already snapped off. The biggest thing I've rolled over is a speed bump. Not going to hate on anyone for going cheap (i was certainly trying to save a little) but this is my only transportation, so I will be replacing ASAP. I would rather not see what would happen if I really road them hard.

pzo   Weekend Warrior [Apr 09, 2012]
Strength:

Nice work horse.

None after 9 years

I just don't get all these negative reviews. Many sound like poorly tightened pedals to start with. I have used my Trek 4100 for nine years and I would estimate 1500-2000 miles. Seldom hard trails, but I do push hard for exercise. I've weighed from 210-280 pounds in these years, so it's not like I'm dainty with the cranks. Just this spring I did experience some clicking on both sides. I bought the tool to remove the cranks, lubed up the interfaces, retightened, all is well again.

After this mileage, my middle wheel is showing signs of wear, getting that "shark tooth" look. It looks like I'll be able to just flip it over, just like the tranny sprocket on my motorcycles.

Sure, there's almost always better to be had. But what does one really expect for the money?

Similar Products Used: None
DR_JDUBZ   Racer [Aug 19, 2011]
Strength:

big- allows more power, gives the mountain bike a road bike feel without losing the low ratios for offroad use

Material used- within 2500km of use the crank teeth begin to visibly wear down/warp. the crank bends real easy, is not at all forgiving. after about 2500km/ 1-months or even less crank is unusable and must be replaced. at 30$ i expect that the crank still be durable, not necesarily "good" or light, steel would be preferred as it is stronger.

unless you are lightfooted, or bike less than 1000km/y, go buy a used bike that has a steel crank and take the crank off it for use on you 500$ machine, this crank is garbage. I've replaced this part atleast once a year since i got the original bike as it was the only part that would fit effectively on my bike. its time for a new bike

Similar Products Used: lots, steel cranks are the best
mudmancouch   Cross Country Rider [Apr 24, 2010]
Strength:

Has taken abuse of winter riding

Considering it is an entry level crank, none

If you are complaining about how poorly this crank performs, take a look at what you are asking it to do. This is not an "I am going to make my living at mountain biking" type of crank. I rode this crank for around 1700 miles over the past two winters commuting to work, winter road riding in salty, slushy road conditions before bending the crank arm while riding on an ice covered lake. I am replacing it soon with another XCC crank for the sole purpose of abusing it in poor conditions. Considering this product, in my mind, out performed its designed purpose, I would say it is a great little crank, a descent little workhorse.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra
gvaccleration   Cross Country Rider [Apr 10, 2010]
Strength:

light weight

loosens crank bolts after riding hard

i combined a mongoose e303 and a schwinn sx2000 together to make my custom sx2000 the cranks came off the e303 the only problem i have with these cranks are that they loosen the crank bolts on the axle and the crank falls off while on long rides on roads and through the trails other then that they are good but i need to change them

azonic_alex   Cross Country Rider [Apr 10, 2010]
Strength:

It works for a while (about 200 miles). The pedal threads didn't strip out for me. Cheapish.

Chainrings bend easily and it creaks sometimes. It bent after about 200 miles of light XC / road use.

Not impressed even though it was cheap. I bought it as I was building an 8 speed XC bike and saw these on Trek completes. Chainrings bent so chain didn't sit on ring properly. I'd avoid them tbh.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore and Hone, Truvativ Hussefelt and X Flow
jamesfahrion   Weekend Warrior [Dec 15, 2009]
Strength:

Looks nice

Strips easy, not durable and unreliable

I bought my ironhorse at dicks not too long ago. It came with the suntour cranks. About a week later, they striped and my pedal fell off. They replaced it with no-name cranks that are still lasting me for about 3 weeks!

Similar Products Used: cheapy no name cranks
anavrinIV   Weekend Warrior [Jan 26, 2009]
Strength:

turns the wheels

horrible flex, strips easily, very noisy

when I got the bike these cranks were great...for 2 days. that's how long it took for the left one to strip where the pedal screws in. I got it fixed and was told that this was a rare problem. within a month the right one pulled the same stunt. also fixed. as of now (4 months later) the problems just keep getting worse. despite being re-threaded and having an insert installed to fit the pedals again, the left crank continues to strip more and is causing my pedal to sit at a very weird angle. as soon as I know what I want to replace these with, these cranks will be history.