Shimano XTR M960 2003 Crankset

XTR M960 2003

New XTR features the Hollowtech II® crankset that integrates the bottom bracket and crankset into a single unit. This design reduces the number of parts, significantly cuts down weight, and increases rigidity. The crank is 80-grams lighter than the M950 series crank and bottom bracket combination. The new Hollowtech II® design allows the bottom bracket bearings to be spaced more widely.

cjk133   Cross Country Rider [Jul 21, 2009]
Strength:

light, pretty, easy in and out for maintenance.

lasted less than 2000 miles

After an estimated 500 hours and 2 BB bearing replacements, the crank spindle exploded while pedaling hard. I weigh 170 lbs and I do not have a remarkable history of component breakage. Coupled with the extreme price of chainrings available for these things, these cranks should not be considered as an option: Fortunately they are now discontinued. These cranks are part of one of the worst grouppos shimano has released.

navid   Cross Country Rider [Jan 03, 2009]
Strength:

Light and strong and look good too. I can't even imagine how those guys at shimano can hollowcast this beautifuly. No a sign of CNC mill anywhere except the screw holes. Is this art?!

The replacement chain rings are expensive and I am not sure for how long they will keep manufacturing them just for those few of us who do not want to replace their old XTRs for new ones.

Has a good and positive shift feel with a SRAM chain (990), however not as smooth as that of Shimano I used before. Had the chain rings replaced twice already (at the cost of an arm and a leg). Each time I was tempted to just forget about the rings and buy a XT or a Raceface Evolve or something. But these are the best cranks I have used and are just light enough for you not to regret buying them.
I also think with the SRAM chain, the rings seem to wear a bit faster, But not sure yet.

Similar Products Used: Race Face Deus, Evolve, and an old, beat up LX.
Zachariah   Cross Country Rider [Oct 23, 2008]
Strength:

Light, looks very bling, easy to install, high resale value.

Finish scratches too easy.

The XTR M960 crankset is almost too easy, to install. They are very stiff, and you will notice that on the very first turn of the cranks.

I got these because I was not able to use Cannondales' uber-light(620 gram + BB) Hollowgram Si BB30 crankset(need BB30-compatible frameset for that = $2,500+!!!). They work absolutely beautiful for light XC trail riding. Once you come across highly-technical obstacles and steep jumps- you will have problems. The all aluminum chainrings are NOT designed for being bashed around at all. The hollow BB spindle will warp, if you huck around 5 foot drops. If you can simply remember that lightweight bike parts are INCOMPATIBLE for Freeride/Dirt Jump/Downhill.....you will never be dissappointed.

I got mine second-hand, and still paid a premium for them! But they are well worth it, if you ride XC and light All-Mountain. You can mash the cranks all you want uphills, and the chainrings will still deliver. Until SRAM comes out with a better competing MTB crankset......I'm afraid Shimano XTR is still the king!

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore M542 Hollowtech II, Race Face Diabolus.
smmcpherron   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2008]
Strength:

Light, Strong, Durable. I weigh 205 lbs and I bought this in 2003 when they 1st came out. I have done quite a bit of riding, and they have worked great with no issues. I just had them installed in a new bike, and the bearings are still good, but, I did finally buy a new middle and small chain ring.

they are beautiful when new, but, scratch up pretty good.

Strong and light.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager
John   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff, smooth, a difference that can be felt immediately; actually lighter than 2001 XTR; awesome BB design; wrench tool and spacers included.

Only 44 tooth ring offered- I miss 46! Nitpic: black rings look cheaper than previous machined rings.

Believe the hype- this is a VERY nice, stiff, smooth crankset. It is actually stiffer than 2001 XTR. I've done back-to-back comparo w/ 2001 XTR on my Joker (shock maxed out) and the difference is real. The integrated axle is stronger than the splined BB. The installation and setup was very unenventful as everything lined up just fine. The BB wrench as well as spacers are provided.

The bearings have not shown any signs of foul play. I've been through several stream crossings and have not noticed any degradation in the smoothness or stiffness of the BB. Shimano has put the component industry on alert- these cranksets are the real deal, worth the cost.

Similar Products Used: 2001 XTR, Specialized strong arm
B SPEE   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

Strong, Light, Looks good when new

Look bad after first ride

These cranks look very nice when new and they are stiff and do the job as needed. But as we all know we upgrade to make the bike look better- Unless your a 250 pound rider, the parts will always do its job- These cranks (like the shifters) were not tested long enough. After just a few weeks of riding they look like they have been to hell and back. I've been on smooth trails and still scratch the sides- after 6 months of weekend riding they look like I've had these for years- GO WITH THE RACE FACE!

Similar Products Used: Oder XTR, Race Face Carbon
Joachim Parbo   Racer [Jul 01, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff, crisp !!!

Wore out the granny ring in 4 weeks - crappy metal !!!
Chain line moved outwards 3mm compared to 2002 - causing more wear.

What is shimano doin ? taking a nap ?

Similar Products Used: XT 2002, XTR 2002, Race Face, Middleburn
Matt   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2003]
Strength:

Very stiff. Lighter than previous XTR cranks. Looks very sweet on my bike.

None, except maybe for finish wear.

I was only hesistant about one thing with this crankset and that was shelling out the $ for them. Once I overcame that hurdle and made the plunge. I have not looked back like many others that are out there and are using these cranks. The set-up for these cranks is great. I can tear down the cranks in less than 2 minutes to clean them out. These cranks are light and stiff and have performed very well for me thus far. I have logged a lot of hours on this set over the last 3 months. I haven't had any problems or issues with them. If you have the means, buy these cranks. I don't think that you will be disappointed. For those of you that are having chainline problems...were you aware that the cranks do come with a spacer set to make sure that the BB is spaced properly? Just a thought as to why you may be having problems.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT Hollowtech's
yves gagnon   Racer [Jun 09, 2003]
Strength:

Very stiff

bad chain line, poor bearing quality

Three months and the bb is gone but they will replace for free and they should. It feels like a 1985 Shimano bb. The bb is too wide and I have some shifting problems probably b/c if this extrem the chain line . I would not spend $700 Canadian for this.

Chris   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2003]
Strength:

Extremely stiff, light, simple install. Nice finish, too.

A little worried about long term durability, see below...

Awesome cranks. The best I've had. Feels like I have a new bike, they're that stiff. Definately get them if you like to push big gears, and climb when standing a lot. One other review said it changed their chainline and Q-factor. After removing my FSA Carbon Pro cranks, I only had to adjust my front derailleur screws 1/2 turn for H & L. That's probably 1mm.

After a long 7 hour ride, the finish on both crankarms is worn away by my shoes. Not sure if this is because of the curve in the arms, or what... but now they look awful and what's worse, I can feel where they've been worn down. That scares me. Since I'm a little worried about long term durability, they only get 4 chilis.

Similar Products Used: FSA Carbon Pro cranks, XT BB.