Shimano XTR FC-M985 Crankset

Shimano XTR FC-M985 Crankset

Shimano XTR has undergone some serious changes over the years, with each and every version revealing a new look and new technical attributes. Perhaps the most notable change for this XTR Race 2x10 Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M985 is that it foregoes three chainrings for just two. We're 2x10 devotees, so this move by Shimano is a welcome change. However, they also offer a 3x10 XTR crankset, called the XTR Trail, if you like more gear options. This 2x10 XTR Race Crankset is perfect if you like to hammer and have little use for a small ring and the added complexity and extra grams of the triple ring setup. Like the last generation XTR cranks, the FC-M985 XTR Crankset uses Shimano's Hollowtech II hollow cold-forging process. This makes for a crankarm assembly that is both lighter and stronger than designs with solid arms. The outer chainring is hollow as well, and the advanced 3D shape is stiffer and more resistant to deflection when you're trying to make quick shifts up to the big ring. The chainrings are shaped according to Shimano's HG-X tooth profile design. What this means is that the shifts have been optimized. And the simplification to two rings makes shifting even easier and faster.The XTR Race 2x10 Hollowtech II Crankset FC-M985 comes in four crankarm lengths -- 170, 172.5, 175, and 180mm. You can also choose between 28/40t and 30/42t chainring configurations. It comes as a complete crankset with an XTR Hollowtech II bottom bracket. This XTR Race 2x10 Crankset uses an 88mm Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD) that is unlike anything else on the market. So that means only XTR double rings will fit. The XTR Trail triple and 28/36t double cranks do not share this BCD. This M985 Race crankset also has a 6mm narrower Q-factor than the M980 Trail crankset.

[Jan 28, 2015]
Seth Botwick

Strength:

Durability looks

Everything anyone would want in a crankset. Durabilit good looking easy to install and maintain.

[Jul 27, 2014]
VonFalkenhausen

Strength:

Stiff and light. Easy to setup and install. Look good. Shimano quality.

None, really. A 1x Narrow/Wide version would be nice.

I bought these to replace a set of XX1 cranks that had developed a creak. I am running a 1x10 XTR drivetrain. Now that there are plenty of good 1x narrow/wide chainrings available, I had options. I got these on sale, and added a Wolftooth 32t ring. They are a perfect functional replacement for the XX1 cranks, without Sram's poor spider design to develop a creak. They are also lighter as installed on my bike than the XX1 setup.

XX1

[Jun 22, 2012]
Ruben Valouer
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Fast & smooth shifting, Light weight, Stiff

Cost - but you get what you pay for - the best

Best purchase I made in a while. I went from my 2012 XTR 3x10 to this 2x10 40/28. Very good decision (should have bought originally with bike - but LBS convinced me otherwise). Now I use my front shifter a lot, it shifts almost as well as the rear. So instead of plowing through multiple rear gears I just click up and down on the front.

In addition, not having to think about where the rear derailleur is, is a bouns, just use the entire cassette with either ring.

Besides the actual purchase, I had a hard time deciding on the crank length, my 3x10's were 175 - the most common length - but I felt I was hitting the pedals too often when I rode. So I went with the 170mm - excellent decision, a lot less pedal strikes and I can not perceive any difference to the strength of my pedaling (a longer leaver arm should help, but there are just too many other variables I suppose).

Caution - make sure you are strong, or go with the smaller rings. And yes, you may walk up some of the steepest sections, who cares, save your energy and walk fast - usually faster than crawling in the granny gear anyway. Also, the chain drive gets pretty skewed on the little to little and big to big - that is normal so do not be concerned.

BTW - I own a 29er SantaCruz Tall Boy Carbon and race a lot in the 40 to 50 year old category (for fun I keep telling myself!). I live next to the rocky mountains - so lots of hills.

2012 XTR 3x10, XT 3x10 and the original Deore 3x10 back in the 'day'

[Sep 08, 2011]
jasonub

Strength:

Very Stiff
Very light

scratches easily

I have not been using my granny for quite some time and decided to get a 2 speed setup crank.

I couldnt resist the look of the new xtr and got the 42/30 setup iirc.

Im using it at our local trails that consists of very steep road/mud/rock gardens,knee high grass.

It ate up anything i put in it. Very stiff. Banged it a couple of times at the crank arm on some high rocks and without problems. Though i hate the scratches it made :(

I would recommend this to those who can live without a granny. If not just get the 3 speed model which will be heavier but will have the same stiffness.

xt,