Shimano SLX FC-M660 Crankset

SLX FC-M660

• 2 tone colored crank arm
  • High rigidity crank arm
  • Accurate chainline construction by 2-piece structure
  • Rainforced construction for extreme riding style
  • Increased ground clearance

HSracer   [Jul 07, 2013]
Strength:

Light
Stiff
Durable

Not as light as or stiff as XT/XTR

I got these cranks to replace some old XT cranks that i had worn out. These are just as good, if not better. They are light, stiff, and very durable. I am always bouncing off stuff and ramming my cranks into stuff (look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go) and there is hardly a scratch. They're super smooth too. If you are thinking about getting XT, don't bother, these are just as good for far less.

FriscoFairlane   All Mountain Rider [May 30, 2013]
Strength:

-Stiff
-Light
-Looks awesome
-Bloody cheap

Abosofreakingloutely none. If you have a problem with these cranks, either you put 'em on wrong or you're just a snob.

The SLX crankset is the shining star of Shimano's SLX line. While I use all SLX components on my rigs now, the cranks offer more performance and value than anything else out there. They are stiff, pretty light (within like 20 grams of XT) and they look just freaking awesome. They are way burly enough to take most any AM/DH abuse, and cheap enough that you totally won't mind bashing and gouging them up on the rocks.

But just how cheap are they, you ask? I got one set on eBay for $150, and another on Jenson USA (without the BB) for $89. With the BB, that's $119 for a premium set of cranks.

I have them on my mountain bike and my singlespeed commuter, and they are perfect on both. If you are not a comonent snob or weight weenie that needs the highest zoot stuff to bolt to the top of your car, there's really no reason to use any other crankset.

If you can find a better deal on a better set of cranks, I will eat them. Seriously. SLX cranks are that good.

Similar Products Used: Race Face Ride DH
winsail   Cross Country Rider [Dec 11, 2012]
Strength:

Just keeps working, Strong stiff and suprisingly light

None so far

I have ridden this crank for nearly two years now. I ride 4 days a week and I'm on my second set of rings that have some miles to go. Same BB and it runs very smooth. Requires periodic Maintenance to keep it running smootrhly. It is a lot of quality crank for a very small price. You could spend more of course and might get less in certain other brands. I already bought the new 10 speed version for installation this winter when it's raining to hard to ride. Yes I would suggest it to a friend

Similar Products Used: FSA gravity light, Truvativ Stylo, Race Face Deus
brian   Cross Country Rider [Nov 05, 2012]
Strength:

Durable, beautiful, shifts well, no flex, never a problem, looks as good as XT, XTR

none, ok, maybe 40 grams heavier but who's counting?

I bought this crank to go on my Intense Spider 29er. I have an XTR on my old Spider and decided to try the SLX because it was cheap and looked great. The first thing I noticed was the quality of the build. It is a super durable crank that will not disappoint.
I ride 4-7 days a week logging about 50-100 miles a week and have zero issues after installing this a year ago.
Buy this crank, you will be pleased! It is really as good as XT, XTR and CHEAP!!!

Similar Products Used: XT, XTR
Tillers_Rule   [Aug 16, 2012]
Strength:

Strong, visually appealing, inexpensive

Heavy

Upgraded my crankset to this one about three years ago. I ride a FS Stumpjumper, weigh 200 lbs. I'm constantly bashing my pedals and crank arms on rocks, roots, curbs and whatever else I can manage to run into. I use the large chain ring as a bash guard. These things have held up great, still tight, strong s day 1.

OLx6   Racer [May 01, 2012]
Strength:

The bottom bracket is very smooth, and crank arms are stiff with zero flex. Installation was very simple. The crankset looks good and you can tell it is made well just by looking at it.

At 880 grams or so other cranksets are lighter.

For the money I can think of a better crankset. It shifts well, is reliable, and looks great.

Helmetless   Weekend Warrior [Dec 25, 2011]
Strength:

Light, Strong, smooth and beautiful

it wears out

The best of the best! Just buy it!

Similar Products Used: M542, M540, M530, M311, Race Face Deus XC
rufio   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2011]
Strength:

Strong and stiff. Shifts very well. Looks great on my bike. Price was great because I bought it during a sale.

This crank has been a nice change of pace for my bike and my wallet. For a long time I was running XT level products on my bike for the durability and performance, but it was costly to replace for a rider on my budget. At first I was like, "what is going on with this odd middle child groupset". After using the products on my 29er and riding it all over the mountains in WV, NC and pounding our local trails in VA I can say I'm stoked. I love Shimano's trickle down concept. You can see the XT and XTR pedigree in this crank and the other products. If you are a budget rider/racer or want a nice crank to upgrade your ride this is an awesome place to start.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT.
frdfandc   Cross Country Rider [Jun 21, 2011]
Strength:

Good looks, nice weight, only 40 grams heavier than the XT due to the steel inner chainring. Stiff and strong, has classic Shimano crank shifting - smooth and precise

This is one of the best cranks on the market. Being in the bicycle industry (not a Shimano employee), this crank from Shimano puts other manufacturers on notice. Great price, great looks, good weight. Switch out the chain rings and its lighter than XT. I've put over 500 miles on this piece and has not given me an ounce of trouble.

I recently switched out the standard triple setup for a 26/36/bash setup and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I think the only crank that Shimano makes that looks better than the SLX is the XTR, but you can't beat the price of the SLX.

Unless XT gets a huge design change looks wise, the SLX will be my go to crank on my next build.