Shimano FC-M960 Crankset

• Forged aluminum/ hollow type Crank Arms
  • Hollowtech crank arm construction
  • Hollowtech II Crankset design

jrp227   Cross Country Rider [Apr 11, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff, light, q-factor, great rings, awesome for years up until that one day...

Non-drive side broke off one sunny afternoon on a hard pedal stroke about 1.5" from the pedal spindle. I am a reasonably large person, and it broke on my singlespeed, but it felt so darn strong all those years that I was quite surprised and a little freaked out when it happened.

Bike parts break. This one owes me nothing. Great crankset, but I'd be interested if anyone else has heard of the 960 breaking. Or if anyone else has a spare non-drive 175mm they're willing to part with. Hard to find these days.

Similar Products Used: Various Shimano, Sram, Bontrager, etc.
DianeWong   Cross Country Rider [Oct 23, 2010]
Strength:

Beautiful,light,and strong

After six years of hard use,these cranks show signs of wear!

I must give credit where it is due. Over six years,and four thousand hard ridden miles later it is still going strong. The chain rings look used,but my drietrain is shifting,and working perfectly.If you enjoy high quality functional bike parts, My advice is to pick up one of these if you can.

Similar Products Used: LX, XT
Almeida11   Cross Country Rider [Jan 25, 2010]
Strength:

Light, stiff, strong and looks great!

Chain rings sound expensive but I haven't had to replace mine yet.

I picked this up brand new at my LBS and just like all the other riders reviews said, it does feel like you can push an extra gear out of this crank! Extremely stiff and smooth, and very responsive! I had the stock strong arm II on the bike prior to this and I can't compare. XTR has yet again impressed me, I had no doubt though! 5 chili's for value compared to the M970 ($450 - $600) and 5 chili's overall cause I cannot express how good this crank really is. Buy it if you can find it!

Similar Products Used: XTR M970, XT 770
TTTURNER   Cross Country Rider [May 14, 2009]
Strength:

Stiffest, smoothest, and one of the lightest

Replacement rings are way too expensive!

Pay the extra money. You will feel like you can push an extra gear because of the responsive feel.

Similar Products Used: All
Zachariah   Cross Country Rider [Feb 28, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff, light, looks absolutely BOSS. Mine weighed only 791g complete, with BB.

Chainring options are non-existant...except for Blackburn/Middleburn replacements. Cannot add 29t middle ring (2x9)due to limited BCD. Finish scratches away too easily.

One turn of the cranks, and you will notice direct, linear power transfer immediately. Stand on the pedals, and FEEL a surge of torque and acceleration, as you rocket past the competition. Not even the M960s successor, the FC-M970 can offer this sensation(close, though).

After trying two carbon models(see above), I have concluded that the stiffness, weight and overall durability is superior to uber-expensive carbon cranksets.

Get it- if you can still find them!

Similar Products Used: FSA K-Force Light carbon, Truvativ Noir. XTR M970.
Justin Armer   Cross Country Rider [Nov 12, 2007]
Strength:

Super Light, Super Stiff, Super Silent, Spot on shifts.

Price

XTR is XTR, it speaks for itself. These cranks are exactly what you'd expect from a top of the line crankset. They are so stiff and smooth they feel like they are helping you pedal. I would be impressed but that would be like being impressed by how well a Ferrari drives, you kinda expect it. I give them highest value chili becasue you can't put a price on ultimate performance.