Shimano FC-M580 Crankset

Outboard-bearing Hollowtech II design now comesToThe LX group!This integrated design (package includes cranks, spindle, and bearing cups) significantly shaves weight and increases rigidity for a difference you can feel onTheTrail. Increased service life Low maintenance and easy installation Includes bearing cups - no seperate BB needed Weight: 927g, includes BB Compatibility: Fits both 68 and 73mm BB shells

juanro2   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2008]
Strength:

Very durable, I had these for more than 1000 km and no problem

a little heavy

For the price is a very good option

Similar Products Used: Truvativ
Andy   Weekend Warrior [Sep 16, 2007]
Strength:

Very stiff and smooth rolling

None so far

This crankset has been great so far. Shifting is great, I have had no problems with skipping or chain suck. I have not used it enough to see if wear will be a problem, but for now it looks great. I couldn't be happier with this set.

om   Weekend Warrior [Jun 25, 2007]
Strength:

Same basic design as my Hone version on the commuter. Easy to service and adjust if need. Chain doesn't skip as mentioned before, maybe the first gens did

None yet

Love it, I don't crank hard but I do shift quite often as I climbe and descend. No serious wear yet with 200 miles so far.

Similar Products Used: Hone hollowtech
Eric   Cross Country Rider [Dec 09, 2006]
Strength:

Its rigid and light.
Bearings in original bottom bracket have over 6000 miles of hard riding on them.

The aluminum middle ring wears to fast and suffered from chain suck. I solved the problem by putting on an older design M-570 steel LX ring ( a new one ordered from LBS ).

Great crankset. The original middle ring got replaced with a XT ring that wore even faster, so on the advice of a friend, I ordered a older style steel M-570 ring and have had no problems since, with either chain suck or fast wear.
The bottom bracket has been flawless on two bikes and over 2.5 years of service.
I only gave the cranks 4 chilis overall because I have never had good luck with aluminum rings, regardless of the manufacturer.

PaulM   Weekend Warrior [Jun 17, 2006]
Strength:

stiff outboard bearing design, good looks, good shifting once chainline is dialed in, great performance for the price.

chainline was too extreme for my frame, required different (non-supplied) shims to adjust correctly.

Great crankset, strong and good looking, saves a hundred bucks over the slightly lighter XT crankset.

Similar Products Used: Raceface Turbine, Shimano LX octalink.
LX302   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2006]
Strength:

Ease of installation, nice new Outboard Bearing Hollowtech 2 design.

The middle ring. See below.

From the beginning of my build, the middle crank ring would not hold the chain under any torque, resulting in skipping and or falling off. It shifted from one ring to the other flawless, but definetely a design flaw if you ask me. The bike shop worked with my as far as alignment of the crank and wear of the other parts, (chain and spacers on the crank)and in order to fix, besides replacing the crank, was to remove the middle chain ring and I installed a flat Salsa SS ring. It solved my problems, and shifting from one ring to another really isn't much different. So I can really recommend this crank unless you want to spend extra cash on a ring right away. From reading other reviews and comments on the forums, (after I purchased the crank) I'm not the only one with this problem.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore M510 Crankset
Will   [Mar 22, 2008]
Strength:

Pretty stiff, pretty light, strong.

Plating on aluminum spindle flakes off.

I sent the right arm and spindle back to Shimano for warantee because it was getting difficult to remove due to the flaky plating on the spindle where it rests against the bearing. They said they never heard of that happening, and of course the replacement one is doing the same thing.

I recently hit a something solid on the side of the trail with my pedal while going something like 20mph. The right arm flexed at least 1", because it left a very impressive dent in my chainstay. However, it sprung back and the pedal even threaded back in straight, though my new bearings quickly wore out after that incident (go figure).

I really hate to say this, but Shimano makes the best external bearing cranksets at the moment. The LX, Hone, and XT are easy to work on, reliable, stiff and light. Due to the problems with the plated aluminum spindle, I'd say the XT, which has a steel spindle, is the better value in the long run.