Shimano Deore XT FC-M770 Crankset

Deore XT FC-M770

With a stiff design, and a reduction in weight, the Shimano Deore XT M770 4-arm mountain bike crankset offers everything you need to go rambling through the woods with speed and shifting efficiency!

Flamingtaco   [Nov 06, 2013]
Strength:

Strong crank design
Smooth shifts with correct Shimano chain
Thoughtful design
Can't beat the price, got mine when $275 was a great deal

None found yet.

I am one of those fat sals (400Lb), except I'm not trying something new to lose weight, but rather returning to an activity I love (well over 80,000 spun miles to date). In addition to riding to work a lot, I have hit the trails maybe 30 times in two seasons. After the stock FSA crank tapers started to strip, I felt these cranks were the ticket to end all that noise.

Five months, 900 road miles and 30 trail miles, no problems. I don't do massive drops, but do get a little air at speed (6-8 inches), mostly stay out of the seat on the trails (downhill), and corner hard (top of berm line). I use wide pedals (xpedo faceoff) with 20mm extenders to fit my size 13 boots.

Not a peep from the cranks or bearings in a Cannondale F5 frame. I was present when the crank was installed, the shop was anal about getting it in right. The Hollowtech design is 10x better than taper cranks, of which I have several bikes that never gave me trouble once I got a step above the low-end cranks. If the install is correct and the BB threads were correctly cut by the mfg, there should be zero problems with a BB30 Hollowtech crank. Be sure to check the chainring bolts on any new crank before the first ride, and the BB and chainring and crankarm bolts after the first few hours of saddle time.

247   [Aug 31, 2012]
Strength:

Light, Technology vs. Price it is THE BEST!

None...

for the price this is the Standard to go with on a decent build. It works and looks great! It is about 10 times better than Cranksets that are 1/2 this price (but about 95% as good as cranksets that are 3 times as much.)

b0mb3r   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff, smooth, well made, great shifting, light and strong. If properly installed, the bottom bracket will last forever.

These cranks are great, I doubt that you will find a better setup for the price. I rode them on my geared and single speed and they do not flex whatsoever. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to install bottom bracket cup spacers. Those spacers ensure that the bottom bracket is properly sealed. I also packed mine full of phil wood grease, before sliding in the cranks. After two years of riding, there was no dust in the bottom bracket and the bearings still roll smooth. I also suggest putting some teflon tape on the bottom bracket threads so the cups don't loosen up (that happened to me and they began to creak).

Similar Products Used: Shimano Saint FC810, Shimano LX FC550
lnter1908   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2011]
Strength:

lightness

non

I got this crankset on my Trek 8000. Its my first hollow crankset so i cant compare this crankset with other hollow set models but i can say that between this and the deore model there is lightyear ! i highly recommend this crankset

Similar Products Used: deore non hollow
mtbfan2   Weekend Warrior [Apr 17, 2011]
Strength:

None.

Everything. This crankset was better than the OEM crankset(40 dollar FSA internal) I had in that you could feel the power of your legs transfer through your bike into actual power..wooopty doo..after 1 week this product creaked literally up any little hill, I tried over tightening, over lubing, over cleaning and had absolutely no luck. If your an MTBer who can handle a very basic jump and your not a fat sal who thinks he/she wants to try something new to lose weight I recommend never buying this product.

Smells like ass!!

jeffrey j   Weekend Warrior [Nov 17, 2010]
Strength:

Cranks are light, stiff, and strong. Look great too IMO!

Finish gets kind of messed up easily. No biggie though...

Took the stock SLX cranks off the bike and put these on. Was surprised to find them even stiffer and better at transferring power to the rear wheel than the SLX. Definitely worth the small price difference (plus I already had the cranks so no outlay of $ to me!).

Would certainly get the 10 speed set up if I was starting from scratch, just can't justify on this bike changing everything over (have a 2011 Specialized Epic 29er with SRAM 10 speed and it is a nice setup).

Similar Products Used: Deore and SLX cranks
hugoxc   Cross Country Rider [Jun 20, 2010]

i think that this product does the job very well for the prize that you pay, but nevertheless i will get the Sram XX one of these days....

XSL_WiLL   Weekend Warrior [Jun 04, 2009]

Well, I can't offer any insight to the longevity or shifting of the rings since I am using the crank as a single ring.

But I can say that the cranks are fantastic. I've always been a fan of the crank/spindle interface that Shimano uses. The bearing preloaded can be adjusted, and then the pinch bolts are torqued down. The spindle won't wear out and constantly come loose or make noise.

Though you should use a torque wrench to tighten the pinch bolts. Too much torque could distort the interface and cause the cranks to loosen.

The bottom bracket is good. Make sure the shell is faced and chased. Do not crank down on the little end cap on the spindle. Only snug it up so that all the play is removed from the system.

I am not using the arms for their intended purpose. I ride dirt jump, street, slalom, etc. And they have held up beautifully. I was worried about the lack of a pedal insert, but I figured that I could always insert a helicoil if I snagged a pedal hard enough to destroy the threads.

These cranks are great for XC and AM riders. And I would recommend them to smoother or lighter gravity riders as well.

They are light and durable.

reinaldogt   Weekend Warrior [Apr 11, 2009]
Strength:

I have been using it for about 2 months, its very reliable and the BB its one of the best...

None so far...

If u have the money to spare and want to upgrade the bicycle, get it!!!!