Shimano Alivio Crankset

Shimano's Alivio crankset features a full complement of advancedShimano functions. Fits 68/73mm bottom bracket shellsUses squareTaper bottom bracket (not included)26/36/48Tooth combination Recommended bottom bracket spindle length - 113mm Includes chainrings, arms and guard

Cameron   [Jun 01, 2013]
Strength:

Good looks

Wallowed out after only 2 rides! Now the left crank arm loosens after 5 mins of granny pedalling, not happy!! Don't be deceived by its chunky rugged looks it is far from that!

Don't waste your money

roycefromrc   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2012]
Strength:

stiff,shimano quality splined interface

heavy,cheap looking due to their hefty size.

they came on my new bike.im sure with shimano backing them theyll never break,will last forever and with their. bullet proof designe they may be a bit heavy but about as stiff as my old race face with square taper interface.for the price i give them 5 chillies and 4 over all,but a cool factor of 2.

Similar Products Used: shimano lx,xt ,race face ,sugino
Drakken_11   Weekend Warrior [Dec 21, 2009]
Strength:

Matches my Rear Derailer

Price

I think I got overcharged for this. I just saw the MSRP and looked up on CBO. They had it for $39.95. WhatTheHell! I paid $60. I think I am going to take it back. Still in the box. Never used. Glad I didn't install it yet.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Crankset
RC   Weekend Warrior [Oct 20, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap, somewhat functional

Weak, low-quality, only somewhat functional

You get what you pay for, and you won't pay much for these cranks. If you're broke and/or do slow easy rides on beach boardwalks, then they are adequate. If you want cranks that can do anything more than that, get something better.

They were stock on my bike, so I used them. I do mostly mountain riding on smooth roads and trails; no hard impacts, g-outs, or drops at all. Despite that, the left crank arm still managed to fatigue and break completely off above the spindle while I was pedaling, the jagged stub of which slashed the back of my leg quite handily. They had been creaking and slowly self-loosening for years prior to that.

Similar Products Used: Suntour, Sugino
swanny81   Cross Country Rider [Aug 26, 2008]
Strength:

Price

Strength
Design
Weight
Square taper

Used these cranks for a little while, approx 3 or 4 months.

They look reasonable, and you can pick them up for next to nothing, but Id very, very, VERY strongly recommend that you steer well clear of them.

The crank arm and spider that bolts to the chainrings is, for some ridiculous reason, not one piece. As such, mine has come loose so the chainrings have free play relative to the crank, and this has stretched my chain (and obviously means the cranks are 100% stuffed).

For reference I am not especially heavy - I weight 75kg, and whilst Im reasonably tough on cranks, I havent done *any* notable drops (2ft at absolute most?) on this bike - pretty well exclusively cross country riding.

The design is a massive flaw, and they really arent worth bothering with. Even for a casual rider, spend a little more and get something that will last indefinitely. These are utter junk.

Similar Products Used: Cheap, low-end Truvativ cranks
JC   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

Gets the job done, shifts well

non so far

My old cranks died along with the bottom bracket, so far these cranks are lasting and its a decent price and so i'm gonna give it 5/5 for now. I'll repost later when it breaks.

John   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2007]
Strength:

Did the job of what a crankset is supposed to do.

Chainrings can not be removed/swapped for other chainrings, Rings are in a smaller tooth size then the usual 44/32/22, Weight a little heavy.

These were a good stock item on my 1996 GT Ricochet, but they were a liltte heavy, inexpensive crankset as you could not swap-out the chainrings, gear ratios were a little smaller at 42/32/22 & I needed to buy a $15 Park crank puller to remove and then install a Sugino 44/32/22.
Bottom Line: Good for 1yr until I started to do 80-120km roundtrip rides.

Similar Products Used: Whatever came on my 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn, Sugino 44/32/22 crankset (replaced my Shimano Alivio) and my Bontrager Comp. 44/32/22 crankset that came stock on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.
Brendan   Weekend Warrior [Nov 26, 2001]
Strength:

Cheap, Looks Nice, Fairly Sturdy, Alloy Chainrings

Alloy Chainrings

After about 4 hours solid X-Country riding using mainly the middle chainring it was stuffed. The middle chainring is bent to the max. I am now investing in Shimano Deore Hollowtech, I hope theses will be a fair upgrade. I would suggest this crank for the rider who uses their MTB on the road only or the rider who has a lot of money to be replacing chainrings as needed.

Similar Products Used: The only other cranks I have used were Shimano Altus (on my old bike)
Sinisa Kovac   Cross Country Rider [Apr 26, 2007]
Strength:

Cheap, reliable, looks OK.

Little heavy, teeth worn out after a year of hard riding.

Its a good, entery level, inexpensive crankset for XC riding. Yeah it is a little heavy, but for the money what can you expect? Mine never left me out and i did whit Alivio more than 4000km.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey comp crank, shimano XT Hollowtech II
dennisd   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2002]
Strength:

-inexpensive
-good, though not spectacular performance
-Strong, because of steel construction

-HEAVY
-steel rings can bend

What can I say? I was looking for a replacement for the crappy Sugino cranks that came stock on my GT. I was short on cash that day, so I picked the Alivio. They are still on my bike two years later. This ia a very good XC crank. Big hitters and Downhillers will probably be looking for something else though. Also racer types and weight nazis won't like them. So what?

Alivio cranks compare favourably with a lot of the junk out there. They aren't performance oriented though. So know what you're getting. I like them because I'm 230 and these things are tough: I have yet to break them and I ride hard. They aren't the stiffest cranks out there, but will do the job as far as the average trailrider goes.

So anyone looking for a budget crankset and isn't too obsessed with weight might want to consider Alivio.

Similar Products Used: XT, LX, Sugino, Specialized, etc.