Race Face SIXC Crankset

SIXC

SIXC (the C is silent, eh!) representsThe culmination of years of RaceFace engineering in both carbon and all mountain products. Race Face hascreated a crank forThe all mountain rider who demandsTheultimate in performance. Strong enough for light freeriding yet featheryenoughTo propel you pastThe lycra set, SIXC isThe product many epicriders have been waiting for.The arms are engineered & manufactured in Race Faces British Columbia, Canada manufacturing facility.This crankset is completely h

LanceB   [Sep 18, 2014]
Strength:

Light

Fell to pieces at low speed on a flat XC trail

All four bolt holes sheared off simultaneously during a casual cycle with my girlfriend. I suffered three bruised ribs and whip lash to to my neck. If I'd been going quickly or downhill I would have been hospitalised or killed. The chainring obviously fell off immediately and the chain took a chunk out of my Yeti SB66C's carbon frame. I had to walk the bike back 6 miles to my car.
Race Face responded: "The picture you sent me was not using our tabs they looked like homemade tab shims"
I have no idea what this means. The SiXC was supplied fitted to a brand new Yet SB66C supplied new via their authorised UK distributor.
Looking at what's left of the crank the bolt holes look too thin and fragile to take any strain whatsoever. Clearly they are not strong enough and not for for purpose.
If anyone is using this product I suggest they replace it with something stronger or at the very least inspect it and look closely for cracks or signs of stress.
I suggested to Race Face that they recall the product and they replied: "As far as recalling them that is not an option these cranks have been on the market for years and have passed all industry strength standards and we actually don’t even manufacture that model again".
Finally, I must say it is not wonderful to have to post a review like this, but I narrowly avoided serious injury and this product is unsafe in my opinion. I am happy to supply photos if required.

james   All Mountain Rider [Jul 03, 2012]
Strength:

Light. Stiff. Quality of Construction

None Yet.

have been using these for almost a year now with zero issues. Mostly been using them for light freeride, but bought them because they were light enough to pedal up as well. I've been a sceptic of the whole carbon movement for a while, but I since converted buy choosing a Ibis Mojo HD and putting these on as well. I think the majority of the weaknesses around carbon are either from a lack of education on the material and fad fear mongering of exploding components and frames. I've found these to be nothing but reliable and the quality of construction above what I've found with other RF products. I would warn any potential buyer to speak to RF (now back in business) regarding different ring configurations. I run mine with a single ring no bash and found that there was a set of priority spacers needed that were not included in the box. Had I run single ring with a regular spacer from a shop I would've sheared off the ring tabs. All different materials have a learning curve and a quick call to RF before setting mine up got me on my way with spacers sent free of charge from them. Nice piece of kit.

Similar Products Used: RF Diabolous, XTR 960, RF Turbine,
mxgunn2   Downhiller [Mar 18, 2011]
Strength:

Light for AM cranks very stiff and durable. Great look.

Direct hit from rocks chips the top surface of the carbon. No structural damage just cosmetic.

I am very pleased with the performance of the cranks. It's a perfect fit to my ride. Since the cranks are carbon it was expected to be more vulnerable to impact strikes from rocks but I believe there is some room for improvement. Over all they are an excellent product and highly recommended. Since Race Face is no longer in business there is some concern about the warranty and replacement parts. Sad to see Race Face go out of business.