Race Face Deus XC Crankset

Race Face Deus XC Crankset

Deus is the lightest aluminum crank ever made by Race Face. It's machined from 7050 aluminum in Race Face's British Columbia manufacturing facility and designed just for Race Face X-Type bottom brackets.

[Jan 12, 2013]
coling

Strength:

Lightweight, smooth pedal, effortless crank, attractive

rumors exist the bottom bracket is a weakpoint on this set but I have not experienced any of that. My entire set came in at 859g which is only 2/3 the weight of the old set I had. Fantastic upgrade and very smooth, effortless pedal. teeth are nice, grab the chain smooth and the attractive face of the crank arm adds a nice finishing touch to a well-built kit. Also 70% off from bluesky so a great deal.

[Feb 02, 2012]
suga
Downhiller

Strength:

When they worked, they were great!

BB bearings. Splined interface

I had higher expectations for a RaceFace product. My previous experiences with their products has been positive. I do realize that this item was a lower end product, but the cranks should last more than a couple of months. The splined interface kept failing. I went though three sets of these before I sold the replacement set. RaceFace has admitted that these cranks had a design/manufacturing flaw. However, RaceFace customer service was fantastic.
The BB - dont even bother putting it on your rig! Garbage!
Giving Overall Rating of 2 chili's because of great customer service

RF Turbine & Atlas, Saint, XT, XTR, Profile, ect...

[Jul 18, 2011]
beatfarmer

Strength:

solid, stiff, light, easy to maintain. Can't comment on the BB; this is only for the cranks...

the crank puller cap has gotten very hard to find for the 05-07 years...more on this below...

Bought the bike used a few years ago with these cranks and a XT bb; the bb gave up the ghost this year, so dropped a Chris King in there and these cranks fit right in; installation took all of about 10 minutes.

But back to the cranks; they've been rock solid despite countless hits on the logs and rocks that make up our northern New England trail substrate. Chain rings are still totally solid; new chain last year and didn't skip a beat.

Now, as I mentioned the crank puller cap has gotten more or less impossible to find, which makes it hard to replace the bb. So after being sent the wrong one by the one site that has had them in the past, I emailed RF on their site with the situation. The replied within hours with a request for my mailing address so they could pop a replacement they had there off a warrantied crank, no charge. Since it was posted from Canada it took a little longer, but in about 10 days or so the part showed up with a handwritten note and a sticker.

So big props for the cranks, bigger props for the service, and even bigger props for the service to a product that technically was made by a different company. If this is what the new Race Face is about, I'm a customer for life.

XTR

[May 14, 2011]
stumblemumble

Strength:

Race Face rings
Light
Easy install, removal

BB does suck

I've beat the hell out of mine and they're still trucking. Just toss the BB as soon as you get them. I've run mine 3x, 2x and 1x9. Loose a chili for the junk BB's RF makes.

[Sep 21, 2010]
TucksMedicAided

Strength:

Light, stiff, excellent shifting (ie good chainrings)

BB bearings are junk (but easy to have a decent set swapped in)

Buy them for the cranks and the BB shell and plan on having new bearings pressed in. There's a good description in the forums on how to service the bearings (super easy). If I had it to do over, I'd start there and fill them up with grease to start with. I just serviced them and, the non-drive side was siezed (after about four rides and only two wet ones, but wd-40 got it freed up). The non-drive side has the green sealed x-type bearing, but the drive side has an orange sealed bearing marked 6805-2RS (which is in perfect shape).
If I had filled them up with some Phil wood grease to begin with, they'd probably still be perfect. Unfortunately it looks like they barely put any grease in the X-type (green sealed) bearing.

Campy stuff, shimano stuff . . . including frigin' octaspline (way to make it obsolete nation of the rising planned obsolescence). I've tried most types of BB's over the past 25 years and still miss the ease of working on old school races and square taper spindles, but I do appreciate the stiffness and lightweight of the new stuff.

[Aug 28, 2010]
BokorSolo

Strength:

Stiff. Lightweight. Great price. Graphics. Shifting. Inexpensive chain rings.

Stock bottom bracket was a bit of a problem. Since then I have been using XTs and have no more problems.

This is by far one of the better crank sets I have owned. They are really lightweight, the spin great and I feel like I am really putting the power to wheels with these. I've been using these for years and we are still going strong. Same crank set. I would definitely buy them again.

Shimano XT, Truvativ Stylo.

[Jun 30, 2010]
tumble_downs

Strength:

Light, strong, cheap

None that I can think of

Never had a problem with either of the 2 pairs of 2008 Deus cranks I own. Bolts don't loosen, and if chainsuck occurs, it's been a problem with my setup - not the cranks. I've since set up both as 2x9s, and they shift flawlessly

XT, Stylo

[Jun 05, 2010]
cdv478

Strength:

Relatively light, strong, shift well and look great.

Occasional chain suck

This crankset has been great. It shifts as well as XT but never drops the chain under load. The finish on the silver arms is durable. If it gets ratty looking, it is easy to polish and make presentable. Install was easy and I have had zero trouble. This review is for 2007 model cranks.

Shimano of all kinds since 1990 except XTR.

[Apr 13, 2010]
KMT

Chain suck is horrible, and no amount of adjustment could solve the problem.

I built a pivot Mach 5 with these cranks and they were horrible. Raceface said that they would send a "new and improved" chain ring set. If they knew there was a problem, they should have sent replacement chainrings for existing sets. Fortunately, the bike shop exchanged them for some XT cranks, and the XTs work great.

Shimono XT, Deore

[Feb 24, 2010]
xcbarny

Strength:

Cranks are stiff. Fairly lightweight

Bottom bracket lasted 6 rides, seized and damaged the axle.
Polished version corroded after 3 months - finish now looks like ####

I really expected better from Race Face. They need to get their BB's sorted, or not bother selling them.

Crank finish should be Anodised silver to prevent corrosion, like other reputable companies do (eg Chris King)

Race Face Turbine LP