Race Face Atlas Crankset

The Atlas is Race Face's lightest, big-hit freeride crank ever. This second generation is lighterThan its predecessor without sacrificing any of its strength. It's also equipped with Race Face's “EXI” external bottom bracket for easier installation and removal. Manufactured from OPTIM-AL, over 20% stronger comparedToThe commonly used 7050 alloy “EXI” interface complete with one key hex release puller capFatTabTechnology - increased strength and compatible with all 4.5mmTab offset bashes5mm of c

Josh   [Dec 27, 2012]
Strength:

Light, stiff, look rad, BB has lasted me.

I'm not sure what's up with mine, but putting it on or pulling it off takes ALOT of effort + a lever. My diabolous never had that problem.

Such a good crank, a little bit more flex then diabolous or saint, but that's a cost for weight. Servicing them is so simple, and the spacers are good to fine tune crank position as you don't have to worry about spacers under the BB as much.

Similar Products Used: RF diabolous, shimano saint.
ButtonPusher   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 2011]
Strength:

RF Atlas Freeride: Light, Super stiff, Pedal well, Strong, Great looking design, lots of color choices...

RF Atlas Freeride: None so far...

RF Atlas Freeride: Pretty much can't say enough good stuff about these. They're light and incredibly stiff. They pedal super easy. The design looks awesome. They come in lots of colours to match your rig. I've ran them on 2 of my bikes (different sized BB's) and never had a single issues ever with either set...

Similar Products Used: Various kids of Truvativ...
Steel Freak   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2011]
Strength:

Good Looking

ISIS interface

If you have a set of these cranks, you had better check the bolt torque on a weekly basis, One of the arms got loose on a long ride and when I got back and tried to re torque it it was too late as the crank arm was toast. I had the Cranks over a year at that point and had moved to AZ away from the selling dealer. I ran an XT crank until I sold the bike. The XT was better and never let me or the new owner down.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT
greenblur   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2011]
Strength:

Super stiff, very burly, indestructible. US made aluminum milled and anodized by our Canadian neighbors. The chainrings have been through hundreds of miles and still look new. The profile they mill into the rings allows for extremely smooth shifts even though I'm running a 10 speed SRAM setup on dedicated 2x9 cranks. Plus, they look badass compared melty-looking Sram and Shimano cranks.

At around 1000 grams, you can find lighter cranks (such as Shimano SLX) but they wont be as burly. Race Face bottom brackets are not that great. I have used these cranks externally mounted with a Race Face BB, a Shimano external BB and a Sram PF30 with the Problem Solver adapter. The Race Face bottom bracket was always tighter then the others.

I do not understand the complaining about the X-type interface. I ran these cranks on a Gary Fisher X-Calibur with an externally mounted bottom bracket. Race Face makes it clear in the instructions that you have to face and chase the bottom bracket before installation. My Fisher had paint all over the face of the bottom bracket, which I removed by sanding. I easily installed my cranks and they never came loose. I currently run these cranks on my Spearfish with a Sram PF30 bottom bracket using an adapter. I've never had a problem with them. Ditch the RaceFace bottom bracket and you will have a sweet looking, indestructible crankset.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Select, Race Face Dues (which are basically a lighter version of the Atlas).
rockcrusher   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2011]
Strength:

These are nice stiff cranks. Attractive, especially in comparison to the melted looking Shimano alternative.

The crank arm interface is still a pressfit which over time will wear out, my original complaint with the ISIS system. Since the tolerance is so tight and the press fit is so minimal all it takes is a bunch of repeated removals and they will develop play.

The interface is the weak point in these cranks. If you have a bike that you anticipate removal of cranks regularly, say a EEB equipped Singlespeed such as the Salsa, they will wear out and get play. Once the play is there, they will start loosening on rides further exacerbating the play in the system.

As they broke just as Raceface when into receivership I thought I was screwed but evidently Raceface is back so I am again pursuing returning them for warranty.

Alas I will probably sell them if I get them warrantied and get a crank with a standard pinch or no interference interface such as shimano or fifteen G cranks.

Similar Products Used: Sweet wings, Bullseye, Shimano.
bcinlas4   Weekend Warrior [Jun 23, 2010]
Strength:

Trouble free, weight, stifness

Setup

This review is for RF cranks in general. I've owned a set of Evolve for 5+ years, and two sets of Atlas FR (diffrent lengths) for over a year each. Have no idea what people are talking about when they say that they constantly come loose. I've only ridden RF cranks and have never had them come loose, not even slightly, ever. I'm finishing another build and will go with the Atlas AM on this one. I looked at the XT, but why change if the RF have been flawless.

sevenpedaler   Weekend Warrior [Sep 06, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff and strong. I like the wider Q-factor since I am a big guy and need it. Easy install and haven't had to touch them since. (except for the rings) No problems at all with the bearings. They use better grease in the '09 models.

The big ring is a weak tit. I'm pretty careful over rocks and logs, and these still seem to bend easy. I'm either going to try a new outer ring (different brand) or go to a bash guard cuz the big ring is useless anyway-deflects and rubs on front derail.
A bit heavy...maybe a good thing in my case???

I like these cranks. The price was right and they are very stiff. They seem to have a bit wider Q than others. Some have complained about that, but I like it since I'm 6'7", 245# I like the spindle design with the attachment on the drive side. They are super stiff and tough and the finish is durable. The big ring sucks.

Similar Products Used: XT, FSA
Kiwikid   Cross Country Rider [Dec 25, 2008]
Strength:

Stiff and Strong
Excellent shifting
Chainline adjustment
Easy to install if you can follow instructions

High torque to install on first attempt but resolved after tightening and loosening a few times so now not an issue

Really stiff so you can feel all of your effort transmitting to the trail. Both up and downshift is quick and reliable. Bottom bracket rotation is a little stiffer than shimano but not really and issue.
Initially required really high torque to install but I tightened it up and loosened it a few times and while remaining firm to install once it is tight you can just forget about it
Have always wanted a Raceface Crankset and the Atlas AM has lived up to my expectations
Have had no problems with BB bearings so far

Similar Products Used: Most Shimano
FSA Afterburner
acroy   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2008]
Strength:

cool looks
stiff
not Shimano
stout rings
good shifting

Disappointed overall…

I use these cranks on my commuter “Best of Burden” bike: 4000+ miles per year of commuting & towing a trailer with kiddies & groceries.

I have previously broken cranks & munched BB’s. After the last crank broke, Kokka Bonnie Forged, I decided to go “all out” with a f/r rated crank for safety / reliability. Don’t want no crank failures while towing my 2 kids through traffic! It came down to Saints or Atlas.

The crank cost around $225, installation was fairly complex but smooth if you can read & follow directions, cranks are very stiff, shifting is good, rings are very solid. But the bearings became a bit loose after 2k miles. This is ON ROAD in TEXAS, not much mud or water or 12ft hucks or anything… bearings finally munched themselves after 6k miles.

Repair is a matter of installing $20 Shimano bearings.

So this is a good crank with bad bearings. Beware, be prepared, or just buy Saints & forget about them. These look cool though :p

Similar Products Used: various Shimano, Sugino, Kooka
Wonko   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 2008]
Strength:

Design, shifting quality

Bearings, chain rings, Q-factor

On the second ride I found that one of the teeth on the middle chainring was bend. Not a big deal since I could just bend it back with a pair of pliers (at home, not on the ride). After a bit less than three months the bottom bracket bearings run very roughly. The crankset is a 2007 model and my understanding is that the initial issue with the hygroscopy of the grease used in the bearings is supposed to be solved. Not so in my case. Finally the drive-side crank passes so close to the chainstay that it rubs on the chainstay protector.
These cranks replaced a considerably cheaper set of Truvativ Stylos which performed flawlessly for one and a half years. Of a crank that retails for $200-$300 I expect better reliablity than that and after not even three months I am considering of changing them again. I have used other Race Face products before and was very happy with them. However, I do not expect to find cranks of that brand on any of my bikes in the near future again.