Middleburn RS8 Crankset

• Perfect for XC racing and trail riding.
  • 175mm length only.
  • 449g per pair including CD spider.
  • Available in ISIS or square-taper interfaces.
  • Weight (arms only): 175mm ISIS: 391g | 175mm Sq Taper: 406g
  • Available in 175mm Silver

• User Reviews (4)

finch2   Cross Country Rider [Oct 05, 2010]
    Strength:

Looks OK, good selection of rings

weak ISIS interface

if it wasn't for the good selection of rings the RS8 would be a waste of money. The interface took no time to stretch to the point where I can feel slop in the joint when riding. It just falls off if I undo the bolts. Yes, I am aware of keeping bolts tight and did so as much as possible but it still happened. Very disapointed in shelling out decent money for something that hasn't lasted. No I don't do drops, just light xc riding.

Similar Products Used: race face ride, shimano, campag road cranks
    Wildeyes   Racer [Jun 22, 2010]
    Strength:

Durability, wide range of options for gearing.

Flexy.

If using a double setup, these cranks are fine, and there are numerous options from Middleburn as to how you can set them up and customize your gearing. I have mine setup as a triple (22,32,42), and the crank arms flex an awful lot more than the RS7's. I also have a set of RS7's and have interchanged the two cranks on the same bike and discovered fast that the RS8 crankarms flex much more than the 7's and will cause a lot of chainring rub on the FD when powering in the large chainring both on the inside and outside metal of the FD. I am assuming this is due to the RS8's being lighter and having a slightly different design to the crank arms. My ratings might be low, but the availability of anything from Middleburn lately has been nonexistant with everything being out of stock for the last 6 months.

Similar Products Used: RS7, XT M770
    Teddy Pango   Weekend Warrior [Jan 16, 2007]
    Strength:

Light, stiff, great warranty, unique in the USA, still available in square taper. You can get all sorts of spiders for single, duo, triple, and trials setups using the same crank arms.

Expensive

These are amazing cranks. I have the RS-8 arms with the duo (29/42) spider and I also have a set of RS-7 arms with the pro trials ring. The lifetime guarantee is reassuring. They are shaped so nicely that I never bang my ankles yet I get a great chainline. They are light (I saved 207g switching to these). They look incredible and there are hardly any people that you will run into with Middleburns in the USA. Pair them with a great square taper BB and you will have a combo for life.

Jamie   Cross Country Rider [Dec 20, 2007]
    Strength:

Lightweight. Stiff. Still Available with square taper. Old School. Bling

Fantastic chainset, Still havent replaced slick shift chainreings and has been running for 2years. Will soon be changing it over to my Full Sus. Awesome Chainset