Middleburn RS7 Crankset

Middleburn RS7 Crankset

• Compatible with all spiders and trials guards.
  • 474g per pair including CD spider.
  • Available in ISIS or square-taper interfaces.
  • Weight (arms only) 175mm ISIS: 416g | 175mm Sq Taper: 431g
  • Available lengths & colors: Silver - 165mm, 170mm, 175mm, 180mm | Black - 170mm, 175mm

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 22, 2010]
    Wildeyes

Strength:

Durability, simplicity, lots of gearing options.

availability of parts is sometimes a pain.

If you have a choice between the RS8 and RS7 cranks, I would go with the RS7's due to the fact they are much stiffer than the RS8's. These cranks are durable, and come with lots of options in gearing and setup to accommodate anything a rider wants to do. Availability of Middle burn rings and spiders can sometimes be a pain, and I have been waiting for shops to restock parts for months now with no luck. Rings last forever but are a bit "thicker" than most chainrings. There is a bit of flex in the crank arms. I also have a set of Shimano XT M760 cranks that are much stiffer than these, but the Q factor is a joke on the Shimano cranks. I am currently waiting for stores to restock duo parts, for I am changing out my entire drivetrain on all my bikes to a double chainring when parts are actually available. The worst part of these cranks is the self extracting crank bolts- waste of money. The crank bolts cause a lot of creaking, and are not worth it. Chainring bolts have exploded on me in races as well, so I opt for steel instead of the aluminum bolts and have had no issues since. Chainrings are about 30% more expensive than anything else non-Shimano out there, so the value rating is a 4 for that in addition to the lack of spares at any stores to replace old parts.

RS8, XT M770

[Sep 09, 2009]
    Joe Nation

Strength:

Build quality, looks, options, strong as you like.

Not really.

Middleburn make awesome cranks. Period.

I have two sets of RS7 arms, one with an Uno ring, the other with a Duo spider/rings. The Uno (32t)sees most use, either SS or 1x9 and it laps it all up. Never slips, never sucks, even the non-Hardcoat ring lasts forever. Duo (29t/42t) is great for when I need those lower gears for going up hills, but is still uber-light, and the shift is great with the Slickshift outer ring. I can swap between the two in five minutes (plus fitting the front mech of course), everything just fits together like a dream. And the self-extracing crank bolts are great because they use a 6mm allen key, not 8mm like most (so you can fit and remove trailside with a normal multitool if you need to).

[Mar 03, 2009]
    Chewy

Strength:

Strong, stiff, svelt & sexy.

Hard to find in usa.

These cranks r da bomb! I have abused these cranks for 10+(yes ten) years and apart from them being scuffed & scratched to sh#t and the middleburn engraving half worn out I have not had a single problem. PERIOD. I only weigh 160lbs, but I ride HARD. I have riden the piss out of them on several different bikes for 10 straight years! I have used them to race pro XC/DH/Super D over this time period. I've hit up to 20ft drops. Basically I have shown these cranks no mercy & they just keep coming back for more. They don't cry or whine or behave weakly at all. I have probably killed more than 10 frames during the time I've used these cranks, from XC race bikes to DH/FR monsters. I heard the cranks were put on a test machine and they killed it too!(the machine broke before the cranks were even damaged). I recomend these cranks to anyone and for every style of riding. they are the bollocks. Recognise & respect.

Shimano, Truvativ.

[Dec 19, 2008]
    bullcrew
    Downhiller

Strength:

Slender, liht weight, extremely durable and stiff.

None! Cranks either bend or break and these havent so NO WEAKNESS!

I have been beating on these things stupid hard and no failures as of yet. I was thinking about buying another set originally so when these go Id have spares. No need, I have dropped countless times to flat latest one is 9' up and 35' out to a REALLY HARD landing. Enough that I go OOOHMF! and people around say they can hear it. I weigh 230lbs before coffee and clothes so Im not light at all.

I ride DH/FR and huck urban, I have blown 6 chains, 2 chainrings got teeth ripped off, X0 derailurre pulley got split in 2 from down pressure during pedaling, broke a frame, 4 whelsets (rims) and bent a set of bars, smashed a set of pedals beyond use and the cranks are still strong, straight and stiff!

I would buy these again!!

Race face shore, XTs, diabolous, FSA gravity DH, holzfeller

[Jun 03, 2008]
    Wes Lamberson

Strength:

-Beautiful
    -Light
    -Strong
    -Can use internal bearing BB's (external is crap) long live internals!
    -Beautiful

They are so good looking I feel bad using them and wearing the finish down.

I got the black RS7s with a red spider. I am using red BMX chainring bolts. I decided that the RS7s were a better deal than the RS8s for me. 25 grams is nothing, and the guarantee and strength are pluses. A crankset guaranteed for DH and Tandems, that is light enough to race XC on? That's what I'm talking about!

I have absolutely ZERO complaints with these things. XC race bikes are delicate machines that need to be fussed over and maintained constantly. It's nice to have one less thing to worry about. The only problem is, I wear that beautiful black finish off when I ride! Ach! Since I got the black ones, the wear is slightly more obvious than if I had gotten the silver. But those things are eye candy.

- The RS7's are beautiful, durable, light workhorses. +1 from me.

Shimano, etc.

[Jun 23, 2003]
    Dan

Strength:

I am reviewing the early versions of these cranks with square taper bb interface.
    Look nice, light, come in nice colours, removeable spider

They SNAP. The first pair of these cranks I had cracked after 2 years normal use around the axle hole. I was then unfortunate enough to buy a ex demo bike with these cranks. They snapped (or more exploded after a few weeks use). I had them sent to middleburn but the best they could offer was money off some new cranks.

I don't know what the new ones are like for durability but the old model cranks snap and I wouldn't trust them.

Shimano XT (Much more reliable)

[May 17, 2003]
    Pete
    Downhiller

Strength:

Very strong ,light, look trick, very stiff

None at all

Buy them they are the best and there lifetime no bull gaurantee

24/7 3 piece, FSA, truvativ hussfelt

[Aug 09, 2007]
    Landy

Strength:

Light, nice detail, finally something different from shimano, fsa and race face.

the only weakness is that i din't find them sooner

these cranks do the job as good or better than any other high end crank on the market, but what makes them so cool is that when ever yo go to hit the trails you dont see 20 people with the same crank as you. At least not here in texas, most people here hav not even heard of middleburn which is a shame.

race face,xtr,cannondale

[Feb 06, 2007]
    Jon Shaw

Strength:

Haven't used these for very long, but here are some first impressions. Great construction quality, unique style, and light. I have the uno ring anodized in red which looks super sweet with black arms. This combined with a phil wood ti spindle square taper BB make for a very light set up. Awesome!!!

The Middleburn crank bolts suck! I'm running a single speed set up and could not make it through a two hour ride without the crank bolts coming so loose my crank was wobbling. Same the money and get some regular old heavy ones.

Awesome crank arms and rings, well worth the money!! Save your money on the crank bolts and buy from Alex at mtbtandems.com They are great to work with!!!!

XT outboard bearing

[Jan 08, 2007]
    Greg

Strength:

These cranks are nice and very versatile and allow you to run a large number of gear combonations. I run them with a duo spider and can go down to a 29th chain ring for lower gearing on the 29'ers. Very stiff with the ISIS bottom bracket.

None yet

Buy this crank and buy it from Alex at MTBTandems.com He's a good ole' wild eyed southern boy that really knows his tandem stuff.

Shimano cranks