Kooka Downhill Crank Crankset

• 600 grams/pair
  • Sizes: 165mm, 170mm, 175mm

• User Reviews (15)

ZOOM   Downhiller [Jan 17, 2002]
    Strength:

One of the most unique features to this crankset that no others offer is the ability to adjust your chainline. This allows this one crankset to be used on many, if not all, frames out there. I've used many crankset that, due to the frame design, would not allow proper chain alignment, thus not allowing you to access your entire cassette. And let's face it, when you only have one chainring up front, you need every single one of those little ba$tards in back! The other strength is its strength. See Bottom Line.

None. Period. 'Nuff said.

Okay, listen up. I'm not gonna clown on any other crank manufacturers out there. There's good ones, there's bad ones, and then there's KOOKA. These guys are in their own category. Customer service is out of this world. But here's where I'm sold:

Long story made short: I was trying to take first in a DH race. I made the mistake of trying to bunny-hop from the top of a 7-foot drop-off and across the 8-foot rock garden that started at the bottom of the drop. Well folks, we all come up short some time. This was mine. I (240 pounds) landed squarely on the MRP chainguide on a rock the size of an office desk. The landing was absolutely brutal! But the crankset didn't budge! And to this day its still in absolutely perfect condition (no loss in alignment of any direction). It may be a little difficult finding these cranks in stock at a shop, but give KOOKA a call and they will hook you up for sure. Buy these cranks or ride without confidense, take your pick!

Similar Products Used: AC, XTR, RaceFace DH, Kona, Profile DH, Cook Bros. (highly NOT recommended for DH!)
    Kalyn   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2001]
    Strength:

Everything !!!! beefy very stiff and strong

Load up on BB cause you are gonna need them with this crank!

Awsome freeride/DH crank one. and if you break em its a life time warranty

Similar Products Used: None compare!
    john   Downhiller [Aug 02, 1999]
    Strength:

strong,thick spider

These cranks are amazing, They aRE THE STIFFEST THING ON THE MARKET. The spider is not some warmed over X-country spider with a useless ring that does nothing. The kooka spider is splined with double bolts to hold it on. Super reliable and highly recomended

Similar Products Used: race face dh
    Jon C   Downhiller [May 07, 2001]
    Strength:

Heavy, stiffest cranks, lifetime warranty

I bought the dh setup. I ordered a compact spider and the rings sway. So far no reply from Kooka. Bottom line! Poor machining. I have to tighten the driveside after every ride. They creak. They would be great if my chain didn't rub my deraileur and cause chain derail.

It's stiff. I have to run a 115 mm XT bb cause there's no clearance for 113 raceface. This crank can take a beating.
    Other than it creaks, I constantly have to tighten the driveside. After a big drop or jump it gives a nice creak.
    These cranks are the razor DH. They have the old Kooka logo.
    Not sure if the new cranks are machined a little better but these suck!! I like the stiffness but hate the noises they make.
    If I didn't live in Wa state I think I might be able to get a little better cust. support.
    4 chilis cause they're cheap, 1 chili cause they creak and cust service isn't all that.

Similar Products Used: North Shore.
    mike   Downhiller [Mar 08, 2001]
    Strength:

these are f*cking awesome

they are a huge pain in the a$$ to find anything with a good
    chainline. and i have yet to find a chainguide that it works
    with them on my bike. ohhhhhhhwell.

these are awesome cranks but you will have to look for a while to find the right setup with them.

Similar Products Used: none are half as good

ohh except the the kooka freerides.
    camelclutch tactics   Downhiller [Oct 30, 2000]
    Strength:

I have the free ride cranks, not the DH ones. They rule, they are Strong, Fatt and the best. So good and they have not broken yet, more than I can say for my bottom bracket. Unconditional life time guarantee. If you need cranks that will last, buys these. Remember kooka and forget about the rest. (No I do not work for kooka, I just believe in a good company which sell good parts that last.)

There is none, they are kooka. Yes the little end of the crank arm does stick out so it will snag your pants. So put on your old school vans and pinch roll your pants.

Buy them or else.

Similar Products Used: Ones that were not kooka, a lesson learned.
    Matty F   Downhiller [Oct 24, 2000]
    Strength:

STRONG! Look cool, puts North Shore XS to shame.

Wea-kness? What is this weakness thing you speak of?

Strongest crank. Go buy it if you freeride/DH. One small complaint. If you are wearing jeans or baggy pants the part of the crank that extends beyond the crank bold sometimes catches on ur pants.

The Commish   Downhiller [Jul 30, 2000]
    Strength:

They are sooooo stiff you will probabaly notice a hugh difference the first time youn ride them. They are also indestructable and and if you are a freak who can break, bend, or strip them they have an uncoditional lifetime warranty.

Are you kidding?

Damn, these things are worth the money you will pay for them plus a whole lot more. They are cheaper than raceface and these will never bend or srip out. Race face North Shores are nice but too damn expensive do your self a favour and buy the last pair of cranks you will ever need. If you have ever bent, or broke cranks or you these are for you.

Similar Products Used: White industries cranks(I bent and stripped them out), race face(demo only), shimano.
    Nick   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2004]
    Strength:

Looks nice..

The problem with Kooka cranks is that the company had been on the verge of folding since the word go.. I suspect it was to do with the bonnie 'hardcore' cross country cranks, which I split twice.. Both times just commuting on them.. They seem to hold up just fine to abuse, but you can't be a featherweight on them.. I eventually managed to trade in my later ones for a pair of downhill cranks and I loved them for a while, but they just seem to have developed a split from the bottom bracket about an inch towards the pedal.. I have also managed to pull a chunk of the crank arm off when I recieved a small impact on my chainring.. This tore one of the spider bolts out with a piece of the aluminium.. Never worthwhile at all.. I'm killing these solid machined pieces of aluminium on my 6 year old cannondale hardtail.. I realistically should be able to tear the bottom bracket shell off my cross country frame before I put a dint in these cranks, but there you go..

sucks arse in a big way.. I plan to stick them on my wall though.. They suck, but they're purty..