Kooka Cross-Country Crankset Crankset

• Sizes: 170mm, 175mm, 180mm

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 30, 2003]
    Doug Gangi

Strength:

Incredibly stiff, look so cool, extremely durable

These cranks have been fantastic. They have taken all sorts of abuse over the 5 years I have ridden them and they have never complained - no squeaks, groans, or loosening up. This is one of the "use it and forget about it" components on my bike, just like any crank arms should be. Is Kooka still in business? Because if they are, I would buy another set for my new bike.

Shimano XT

[Jul 24, 2002]
    Jboy

Strength:

Great looking crank with the weight and strength all other 'boutique' cranks claim to posess. Shifting is at least as good as XT (that good!). No creaking, no flex, and they are surprisingly tough considering they are black and still look realy great after being punished...

Epensive and rare. Maybe these are good things?

These newer cranks offer performance in a light flashy package tht stands out from the Shimano throngs...

XT and turbines.

[Nov 06, 2002]
    ryder drumm

Strength:

Apart from being light, strong and great kranks, they come in tons of colors and they look sweet. Their price has come down quite a bit since I bought them, I didnt buy them retail but through a friend in the industry.

In six years of riding all kinds of trails and conditions these kranks have never let me down. I bent one arm on the spider in Mammoth but everyone seems to break something there.

Go out and buy em. They last forever and if you have a major problem Kooka will most likely replace them for you. They replaced my spider free of charge and polished them up for me.

Shimano XTR, Race Face, FSA, Cook Bros

[Apr 17, 2003]
    Dave Ramey

Strength:

This crank looks (looked) great and stands out from the crowd. No flex detectable.

The damn thing snapped!! In town, pulling away from a traffic light, the left arm snapped clean off about 2 cm above the bottom bracket. I was standing, pushing hard at the time, crashed bad, almost broke my ankle on the broken end.Took weeks to heal up. Now can't find the company, so big bucks down the drain. The crank was about 3 years old when it snapped, but that doesn't seem old to me, obviously it was flawed from the factory.

I loved this crank right up until it broke. I'm still using the right arm with a mismatched XT arm on the other side. The TNT has since become my commuter bike and I never worry about the strength of that arm. However, I paid way,way too much, never thinking that Kooka would tank. If I found another one in the box somewhere, I wouldn't hesitate to use it as long as it was damn cheap. But, beware, if mine snapped, yours could also.

Shimano XT, Bontrager Race, Coda

[Mar 20, 2003]
    Steven

Strength:

Beautiful. I've had mine what feels like forever, ~8+yrs. They just keep going and going and....

None. They were a little pricey when they first hit the market.

Great cranks. Lightweight and strength in one package.

Sims Lightening, Truvativ Stylo, Shimano XT

[Jun 07, 2006]
    al

Strength:

cool looking
    stiff
    ummm,, what else should a crank be??

early non-forged models had that bad reputation....

I've had 2, used 3 years each. First was the non-forged standard version that got the rep for breaking and sticking into your calf. Mine never broke or even creaked, but then i got a set of the "bonnie" forged cranks on close-out. I have cumulative maybe 40,000 miles on the 2 sets of cranks. No issues, stiff!! looks cool, stiff!! Fairly rare, not many folks have them, gets lots of looks and comments, very functional. Square taper, but i am unsold on the execution of the ISIS standard, though the concept is good.
    If you can find a set, buy it!!

[Jul 02, 2003]
    Bill

Strength:

Good Cranks

Only works with 8sp chains

Just "upgraded" from 8sp to 9sp system and had a problem where the 9sp XTR chain, as well as 9sp Sachs chain would get lodged between the big and middle ring causing bad chain suck. Took them off and compared the thickness of the chain ring tabs that the chain ring bolts pass through and it is about 3/16 inch thicker than those on a pair of Race Face turbine LP cranks.

Bottom line...great cranks for use with 8sp chains, bad cranks for use with 9sp chains.

I will be using the almighty Dremel on them to try to fix this problem...

Race Face , Shimano

[Sep 25, 2002]
    Rick Bensyl

Strength:

Excellent product with attractive design, easily replaceable spider, shifts well and also very light.

None. I've had these for several years and they have never let me down. They are also not seen on "every" bike out there. I get many compliments on the trail from others who like the way they look.I weigh 175 lbs- no noticeable flex.

A great product that I am happy to have discovered. I wanted an attractive lightweight crankset and was initially concerned about long term durability but they have been awesome!

Shimano LX/XT/XTR

[Sep 29, 2004]
    Shamus Yandle

Strength:

Super light!!!! Nice aluminum look. Both 170mm arms with Kooka 22/32/44 rings weighed roughly 620-630grams.

None so far

These cranks rock! Super light weighing 620-630 grams with both 170mm arms and Kooka rings! Haven't had any problems with these cranks breaking or anything, but I do only weigh 150lbs. I bought the bike used two years ago with these cranks on it. Who knows how long they have been ridden on before me.

[Dec 30, 2002]
    Frank Howard

Strength:

Forged one piece construction eliminates the problems of the previous CNC 2 piece cranks. On a par with RF Turbines

Kooka is out of business

I got great cranks for the piece. Unfortunately they are hard to find as Kooka seems to have gone belly up. Though they are heavier than the previous CNC'ed Kookas they are stronger and should last long a long time.