FSA Afterburner Compact 386 Crankset

• Oversized cartridge bearings
  • 24mm integrated CrMo spindle

[Jun 07, 2014]
BN

Strength:

Very nice finish, light, one of few 2x9 options

Proprietary pattern, chainrings are expensive.

I made the switch to 2x9 mainly for more FD clearance to the rear tire on my Jamis Dragon 29er. Works great with 3x9 shifters and derailleurs, but saves you that last down click for the granny gear. 40x27 has been good for 99% of the riding I do. Gives up just a little on big ring cranking on a downhill and on the super low granny chugging for long steeps. Still, doesn't leave me stuck in an unrideable gear at any time. I did notice the left crankarm loosening and creaking once, but a proper torque (use a torque wrench) and it hasn't come back. I bought extra chainrings at the same time should they ever become unavailable.

[Feb 09, 2013]
Tom

Strength:

Grea solid crank... when it does not come loose..

Signed up just to post I am suffering from loose crank arms after 6 - 8 miles of riding, regardless of how much loctite and teflon tape I use on the threads.

I wonder if bikesdirect is getting all the failed quality inspection batches of this product...

[Feb 01, 2013]
PHILLYBIKER
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Work great

Left cranks arm comes loose after 12 miles???? Still figuring a fix for it. Center bolt loosens and then creates side to side play.

They work great when they are not loose

[Jul 09, 2012]
Curtis Lavoie

Strength:

looks

Very short BB life, left crank arm comes loose often, even with thread locker on center bolt, to much inner ring flex.

I put about a thousand miles on these cranks last year. Right from the start I set them up 1x with the 27t, I have no use for the 40t in the NE woods. This worked great because unlike the other doubles, the arms don't extend past the inner ring, so it was a clean setup. For the most part they were ok, but when in the 11t out back I could make the ring flex enough to drop the chain to the outside. it was rare but it happened. This year I found a 28t to replace the worn out 27, I was amped because I wanted just a little more gear and only 27s were in stock last year. Well the 28t makes the flex problem much worse, to the point where I ride in fear of throwing the chain with any hard effort. I'm 155lb guy, so there is really no excuse for this. if three bolts were a good idea it would have been done before now.

[May 16, 2011]
moschika

Strength:

Looks, price, looks, stiffness, looks

not many chainring size options. proprietary chainring bolt pattern.

one of the few reasonably priced silver cranksets i could find. they've held up really well over the course of the year without any problems. i haven't worn the chainrings down, but when it's time, it's not hard to get them direct from FSA. i wouldn't expect to find them at my LBS. the 27x41 gearing is fine for most conditions, though i think when i change my cassette, i'll get a 36 next time. i think these are a great value, but the limited chainring sizes is a bit of bummer. hopefully they'll come out with more over time.

last bike had race face turbines.

[Dec 27, 2010]
onza

Strength:

Stiff, reasonably light, looks, simple installation, one of the few 2 x 9 cranksets out there!

None yet...

Have SRAM XX 2 x 10 (Which I absolutely love!)on my S- Works Epic race bike. I had recently built up my Pivot Mach 4 using some new and some used parts (off another bike) including an '08 XT triple crankset. Soon realized I did not need a triple ring anymore (never even use the small ring) and I didn't want to spend big bucks on a 2 x 10 (would have needed to upgrade the whole drivetrain) so I went "cheap". Turns out it's pretty darn nice! I have the 27/40 with an 11-34 XO cassette and though it doesn't shift as nice as the XX, it still shifts real smooth! Never drop my chain like some other reviews I saw. Those guys need to sdjust the frt. der. and limit screws and they will be fine!
The crankset is pretty sweet looking and the cool part is I bought it for $197 and sold the included BB (which I didn't need) on ebay for almost 50 bucks! I just used the installed XTR press fit BB on my Mach 4 and it works awesome. I've been told by some you shouldn't do that and should only use the FSA BB, but it spins SUPER SMOOTH with no friction or play.
The one thing I'm not looking forward to is finding the replacement rings when it comes time, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.

XT, XTR, Specialized carbon

[Oct 25, 2010]
h2otaco

Strength:

On a 29er paired with a 11-32 gearing is perfect for nearly every type of riding. Crank arms are nice and stiff.

Cranks need to be re-torqued every few hundred miles. The cap, especially bolt will work itself loose. Chainrings wear crazy fast... 2 months of daily riding and bi-weekly racing thrashed the 27t. Replacements are VERY difficult to find.

This is a great concept... i.e. 27-40 double, perfect gearing. Execution is poor though. The chainrings are proprietary and zero vendors carry the 27t. This problem is compacted by how fast the rings wear.

I wont ever buy a crank that uses proprietary chainrings again, and I'll think twice about FSA as well.

3 for the price/value - 2 for the durability & availability/overall.

Raceface Deus triple and single, Shimano, LX & XT, Truvativ Stylo.

[Sep 18, 2010]
Jeff

Strength:

Light weight, shifts well, stiff, with only 2 chainrings there are less duplicated gears ratios.

None noted so far

I like it a lot. I am very confident when shifting between the 27T and 40T chainrings and the bike is still running 3x9 shifters. With the lowest ratio at 27/34 it still climbs very well and I don't miss the 22T granny gear. It is one of those products that is not just worth the cost but makes you faster. I find the 40T more useful than the 44T ever was. The 27T is a nice gear to fit between the 22/32 it replaced. It was a good choice and buy. I race at the beginner/sportsman level a few times a year and think it will help me next year, a true beginner who only trail rides may miss granny gear.

[May 24, 2010]
jmk999

Strength:

Shifts very well. Reasonably light. 2x9 without spending a fortune. Easy set-up.

Proprietary bolt pattern.

At the moment, the least expensive way to convert to 2x9. Installation took minutes and performance on the trail is flawless. Don't notice any difference in stiffness compared to the older (splined) XTR cranks they replace. Too soon to know if - as others have said - the BB is prone to failure, but I'll reserve one chili on the value rating for now. Even if it fails, I'll be very happy with the crankset.

Too many to list

[Feb 06, 2010]
neffirg

Strength:

Smooth shifts, stiff, light and pretty.

Almost too pretty to ride.

The 29-40 combination paired with a Shimano SLX 12-36 cassette give riding a whole new feel, there is virtually no gear overlap. Super stiff crank arms. Similar to the new SRAM XX but way cheaper. So far so good.

Shimano LX FC-M582 and TruVativ Firex GXP (both with only two rings)