Bontrager Race Lite Crankset

• The culmination of years of testing, research and design
  • Cold forged, polished, 6061-T6 aluminum alloy, low profile arms
  • New ISIS Drive bottom bracket interface
  • CNC machined 7075-T6 nickel plated aluminum 44 tooth chainring, made from ultrastiff 5mm 7075-T6 aluminum
  • CNC machined, hard anodized 7075-T6 aluminum 32 and 22 tooth chainrings
  • Anodized aluminum alloy chainring bolts
  • Aluminum crank arm extractor bolts

• User Reviews (72)

chris   All Mountain Rider [Mar 26, 2013]
    Strength:

Price weight and durabilty

Cost of chainrings

Purchased the crank in 2003 and I'm still using it to this day. I used it for racing and now for trails. I have not found a crank that feels as solid as lite or as strong for the cost. The chain rings on the otber hand are pricey. But overall a really great crank for cheap. I paid less then 100.00 for it mine new in 2003

Similar Products Used: Shimano xt deore and raceface.
    Matt Fulks   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2003]
    Strength:

Looks okay. Goes in a circle when I pedal. Seems to shift okay. Could be better.

CREAK CREAK CREAK CREAK CREAK CREAK CREAK CREAK.........

The bike is great, but I'm not impressed with this crankset. If I don't soak the bike in oil overnight and put my kung fu allen wrench grip on these things before every ride, they creak like mad! Drives me nuts and makes my $1,100 bike sound like a Wal-Mart jaloppy. Creak creak creak creak creak creak creak is what I hear every time I pedal. I guess a benefit would be that I stay in the saddle more since when I stand up and mash on these things is sounds as if they are going to break in two. I'll give these things two flaming chili's based on the fact that they look okay, go in a circle, and haven't cracked in two yet.

Similar Products Used: Cheap crank on old Trek 6000
    max macnab   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2003]
    Strength:

stiff, light

finish is wearing off after about 6 mos

Ok, let's get this straight once and for all.
    The race, comp and racelights are different cranks all being reviewed under the same category. Why is everybody down on the racelights??? Given that the the others are complete crap, but the racelights totally rock for the $$$ they're awesome.

Similar Products Used: shimano xt, lx
    Chub   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2003]
    Strength:

Light

That dam creaking!!!!!!! It's driving me mad.. has anyone managed to stop it??

I hate this crank... the noise is driving me mad!

J Matthews   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2003]
    Strength:

These Cranks are Strong and Shift great...The perform on about the same level as a pair of XT's. The self extracting cranks are very nice, all you need is a 10 ml to take them off.

They do creak a little.....Keep them clean and use a lot of grease...

Since I stole these off of Ebay for 73, I have to say that they are worth the money. I have no problems shifting but they do creak but only a little..... If you can get a deal, pick them up, if not get the XT cranks they are predictably good....

Similar Products Used: Strong Arm II's that my wife bent while shifting...
    Krispin Klander   [Jun 09, 2003]
    Strength:

awesome look

CREAKING! Very annoying creeks and clicks coming out of these things. Every click they make they transmit vibrations to your legs.
    Impossible to shift precisely, NO WAY!

I can't stand BOntrager stuff any longer.
    I had to change the wheels (almost impossible to mount/dismount tires) first and now the cranks and BB.
    Thought Trek was a serious bike manufacturer.
    TREK!! why don't you try other components for your bikes?
    Shimano stuff is not perfect at all, but works much better than Bontrager's.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT
    Philipp   Cross Country Rider [Jun 06, 2003]
    Strength:

Good lookin`, stiff.

For months, I thought that my front derailleur is f`ucked up, but then I realised that the problem is in the craappy chainrings that aren`t "grabbing" the chain when you`re shifting gears. My friend has a Trinity chainring and a Acera derailleur and believe it or not, his $hitty components are shifting faster.

I think if you already decided to spend 200$, you should buy someting else. Buy a Shimano. That`s reliable.

Similar Products Used: Alivio, LX, Trinity.
    john   Cross Country Rider [May 23, 2003]
    Strength:

shifing sucks, cracked drive side crankarm after 200 hours of riding.

shame on trek. it's hard to believe bontrager would let its rep be tarnished by putting its name on this crap. how many pennies did they save, and was it worth all of the customers that were alienated? i weigh 175 lbs and ride pretty hard, but i'm not out doing 10' drops. these cranks cracked after about 200 hrs of riding and the shifting has never really been right. the bottom line is that shimano is a lot like microsoft. nobody likes the fact that they have a monopoly, but their stuff is universal and it just plain works. i guess in that respect, shimano is a lot better than microsoft, but you get the idea. if i had a dedicated downhill rig, i would upgrade to a beefier crank, but short of 6' drops, the xt replacements will work just fine and will shift as good as anything out there.

Similar Products Used: shimano xt, lx, cooks bros
    Martin DeCavage   Cross Country Rider [Mar 06, 2002]
    Strength:

I bent the middle chain ring. It broke my chain, rear derailer, the hanger, and took a chunk out of my frame. Junk!!! It shifts like crap. It flexes bad.

Dont buy one. If you get a bike that comes with one replace it as soon as you can, or you'll regret it.

Paul   Weekend Warrior [Feb 25, 2002]
    Strength:

Hmmm....they look nice

they need to be more than just pretty

Have only ridden my Klein for a year and it has been mostly on weekend. the Flex drives you crazy when shifting and have alread bent the middle chainring. I might be a novice but these thing seem pretty lame to me. I am very disappointed in Kleon for using these on theor bike, it truly was a poor choice for a nice bike.