AC LoPro XT Crankset

AC LoPro XT Crankset

Cold forged 7075 T-6 aluminum crank arms for strength and stiffness. Low "Q" use shorter lighter spindle. Removable spider engages on positive lock spline, allowing for directly mounting spiderless rings. Tapered spindle. Rings in 22/32/44T Lengths: 170, 175mm in Silver, Black, Red.

[Dec 29, 2009]
specializedp.3

Strength:

looks.

these cranks are a waste of money i weigh 190 im 5foot 7inches first day i got them i was doing some riding in my yard doing some small jumps everything is fine, until the second day i ride it i take it to some local jumps and i go off this jump and the cranks twist and bend when i land. they are the worst cranks i have ever used do not get them!

[Dec 10, 2006]
Paul Crawford

Strength:

Easy to install, very stiff, tough powedercoating, splined spider makes chainring exchanges a snap, lighter than average, clean threading, forged, somewhat obviously handmade.

I can't seem to find any.

Listen, I don't know what all the complaining is about. It seems all the complaining is coming from people who have installed these cranks themselves. I installed mine myself, on a new bottom bracket, using SRP bolts, as I do in everything (now I find I have to use Pro-Bolt of England to get nicely roll-threaded Ti bolts), after 3 years of working in a bike shop, so I trust my builds. My cranks don't flex, haven't made a sound, are exactly spaced on my frame, and have beautifully machined threading, so the pedal spindles just rolled right in on some grease. I am, in fact, in the process of ordering AC's carbon racing crank, which looks even more perfectly finished. If you want any crankset to install smoothly, have a professional do it, and if it broke because you cased it on a huge jump, don't whine, get heavier ones next time. At least you had the nerve to try the big jump you couldn't clear (a good rider lands with weight evenly distributed between mechanisms in the bike, so nothing makes a sound), don't brag to the manufacturer with your complaint that his/her parts can't handle big mean you. I broke some Cook Bros. RSR cranks, and you all are the first to hear it, because I landed a doubles on a BMX track all in the middle of the bike, and the crankarm said "G'BYE!" and sent me into the dirt. I bought some flite cranks, and didn't tell a soul. All I got for my pains and $190 for the Flites was "Hey! New cranks?" followed by the laughter that came with knowing I was still learning how to clear doubles on the back wheel enough to be silent and smooth. It's been 10 years, and I am into XC racing, and if I hadn't learned that stuff, I'd have a $4500 bike made for replacing parts on, not doing 35mph into doubles like the ones I thought I needed Cro-Mo crankarms for. I am giving the 5 flaming gobs of vegetable matter for these cranks, because something has to make up for "I broke them jumping off a curb", when you didn't grease your BB taper, and could pack your lunch between the crankarm and frame in the 9 and 3 position.

Cook Bros. E-Cranks, SunTour XC-Pro, Shimano XT (old square taper model), Redline Flite Cro-Mo

[Sep 23, 1998]
korner
downhiller

I'm referring to the '98 AC Lopro cranks, that come as crankarms only, spider and chainrings sell separately. I'm using these forged armes with AC downhill
tall teeth chainring. And of course, AC's pro chainguide. I use XTR bottom bracket to power my cranks. The DH chainring is fantastic, the cranks are stiff,
and AC makes some well tought-out parts, besides the best DH cranx they make the best headsets and chainguide.

[Jan 15, 2000]
Patrick Strahm

Strength:

make good Coke cans once recycled

just about everything

Have to agree with Jason. AC is incompetent and doesn't care about its customers. I bought these cranks four months ago and put them on an XTR BB. After a summer of XC-riding the spider shattered into 3 pieces while cranking up a hill. I tried to contact AC by email but their mailbox is just a black hole in cyberspace. I went to my bike dealer, who sent them back. Result: 3 weeks waiting, no new spider, no new crank. My dealer asked about the damage on the exterior spline of the crank - AC's response: they've seen worse. My advice: spend your money somewhere else!

Shimano and Topline cranks

[Apr 27, 2001]
-al's fatty-
Downhiller

Strength:

MAYBE THE LOOKS, BUT THEY ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN XTR'S

THEY JUST DON'T WORK WORTH A S**T!

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!! THE NEW OWNER OF AC WRITES IN BELOW AND GIVES HIS JUNK COMPANY 5 STARS. I'VE NEVER SEEN SUCH A LOAD OF CRAP!! WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS? WELL, HERE'S MY PROBLEM- I BOUGHT THESE CRANKS THINKING IT WOULD BE AN INEXPENSIVE SPLINED SETUP FOR FREERIDING. WRONG!! I HAVE TRIED FOR MONTHS TO GET THESE THINGS TO FIT RIGHT WITH ABSOLUTELY NO LUCK. NO MATTER HOW MUCH LOCTITE, NO MATTER HOW MANY SHIMS I USE, THESE THINGS WIGGLE AROUND LIKE A TOPLESS DANCER. YOU CAN ACTUALLY SLIDE THE DRIVE ARM ALL THE WAY ON BY HAND AND SNUG THE BOLT DOWN AND IT CAN BE WIGGLED BACK AND FORTH AND SIDE TO SIDE! AN XTR ARM WILL GET SNUG RIGHT WHEN YOU PUT IT ON AND YOU HAVE TO USE THE BOLT TO "PRESS" IT ON ALL THE WAY. I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT THE GUYS AT AC ARE SMOKING CRACK AND NOT DOING QUALITY CONTROL. THIS IS A VERY POORLY MADE CRANKSET!!!! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THESE PILES OF DUNG, BUY XTR!!

XTR DH/TRUVATIV/RACEFACE/KOOKA

[Dec 28, 2000]
DirtDad

Strength:

Weight, stiffness, compatibility

You gotta know what you are doing with it

I got an XTR grey colored set of these and bolted them to a set of XTR rings, but they came with a cool and unusual 58/110 spider that would allow you to run a very widely spaced set of gears. They are styled almost exactly like XTR arms, so the end result is like an XTR crankset with an AC logo, which features an American flag. Very cool.

It is odd that AC calls these DH arms, because this crankset weighs exactly the same as my XTR crankset, and it just as stiff and efficient. They are noticably lower profile than than the boxy XTRs, so all in all, I like these better.

Just a word regarding the loose arms mentioned below. I emailed AC. They were very responsive, by the way. It turns out that the two Shimano XTR splined BBs - the M950 and the M952, are slightly different. These arms work better with the M950, which I run, and everything has been great.

Shimano XTR, XT, LX, Coda competition and expert

[Aug 03, 2000]
tim walter
Downhiller

i bought these cranks in a panic when i decided to run a single chainring when i built up my new frame... i needed something with in a standard 5 arm size that would run a BB that would work with my mrp. my not so local lbs hooked me up with these for $100, plus all the other bits (bb, bolts, etc) bringing my total after tax to just under $200.

everything seemed fine for the test ride in my yard, but once i put them under some serious abuse, they fell apart. first off, they are really, really flexy. it was like minor shock absorption, which in certian aspects was kind of cool... but about an hour into my first ride the left arm loosened up and upon inspection the splines (or i guess the spline cavities on the crank) were a bit damaged. it seemed to fit back on with out much hassle - no contact problems, etc. from that point they continually loosened one both sides, and creaked noisily with every mash. after countless attempts at tightening, lock tight treatments, i gave up.

perhapse if you don't jump or thrash about on your bike they would work, but if you figure that cranks + xtr bb = around $150, you could spend just a few bucks more by grinding a shop for some raceface lp's and the xt bb. i got the previously mentioned set up for $180 after tax.

the way i see it, you can't afford not to go with raceface or like products.

[Mar 11, 2001]
Brad Roberts

It is unfortunate that this forum is used by some people to express their negative gripes about AC products in an unfair fashion. Though AC is under new managaement, we still deal with warranty issues from the past. The terms of our warranty are very clear and are specifically written with every product we sell. Our limited warranty does not generally cover bending or damage due to crashes.Of course, we deal with each case individually. Most of our product line is intended for racing performance and therefore as lightweight as possible for the application. Most of our customers are reasonable about damage caused by their own operation. Some customers expect new product no matter how bad the damage caused by their own operation. We are sorry we cannot afford to replace all the product damaged by riders, but as a small manufacturer, we hope we can get the support of our customer base for reasonable expectations on durabilty under crash circumstances. We intend to continue to provide superior products at affordable prices for our xcountry, downhill, and racing customers. thanks you for your understanding.

[Mar 06, 2000]
Justin
Downhiller

Strength:

Light
Strong
Cheap

none so far

I got these caranks and the A.C. dh chainring for $100. They are super good cranks . I have some big rocks and they havent dented. They are great cranks for the money

XTR

[Nov 19, 1999]
JASON

Strength:

LOOKS SOLID.
LIGHT.
NO CREAKS.
PRETTY GOOD LOOKING.

AC, FROM WHOM I BOUGHT THE CRANKS DIRECTLY FROM WERE COMPLETEY INCOMPETENT.

THE CRANK IS GREAT. DUE TO THE INCOMPETENT SHIPPING, SALES, AND TECH AT AC, I ALSO WONDER ABOUT THEIR ENGINEERS. THEY SENT IT UPS WHEN I ASKED THEM TO SHIP IT USPS. TOOK THEM ABOUT 2.5 WEEKS TO FIGURE THIS OUT AND ONLY AFTER I DOGGED THEM ABOUT IT. THEY MADE ME RUN AROUND TRACKING THE PACKAGE AND REFUSING TO GIVE ME A REFUND. WHEN I FOUND THE PACKAGE, WRONG SIZE AND COLOR. I TOLD THEM TO SEND ME ANOTHER SET WHILE I SENT THEM THE OTHER ONES BACK. THEY SAID THAT THEY COULD NOT SEND A NEW SET UNTIL THEY RECEIVED THE OLD ONES BACK. THE FINALLY SENT ME A NEW SET AND IT WAS LATER THAN WHEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. THEIR WEB PAGE SAID TO USE 107MM BOTTOM BRACKET. THE TECH GUY SAID TO USE 110MM. THE INSTRUCTIONS WITH THE CRANK SAID TO USE 117MM. I USED A 112.5 AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY. THE WOMAN THAT I WAS DEALING WITH WAS INCREDIBLY UNCOOPERATIVE. SHE BELIEVED THAT BECAUSE SHE SENT THE CRANKS TO MY PART OF THE COUNTRY, IT WAS RESPONSIBILITY TO FIND IT. WOULD NOT GIVE ME A REFUND WHEN I REFUSE TO GO RUN AROUND AND FIND THE CRANK. HAD TO FIND IT ON MY OWN BECAUSE I DO NOT WANT CREDIT WITH THAT 3RD RATE COMPANY. DO NOT BUY DIRECTLY FROM AC. THEY GET 1 FLAMING TURD FOR CAUSING ME SO ME GRIEF.

SAMPSON