SRAM 7.0 Component Group

Cross-country thrills for those beyond "entry-level." High-quality materials in the SRAM 7.0™ group ensure precise shifting for grueling rides. Now braking is easier with a new fully-mechanical brake system. New for 2002 is the Amy grip cover, designed for better comfort and compatibility for small-diameter hands.

Mike from oregon   Downhiller [Apr 09, 2010]
Strength:

Rear derailleur has been shifting perfectly and so has the front.

So far none.

I just rebuilt my HT over the winter with pretty much all new everything(with the excetion of handle bars and brake set). The best part of the rebuild has been the X-7 component group that I put on it. The shifting has been next to flawless. Factor in that I live in the rainy NW and everyride has ended up with my drive train covered in mud(I can't wait for the dry season to start)and yet I can still shift up and down my 9spd rear cassette with out any major problems.The front derailleur has also performed great. Bottom line I'm happy with the X-7 and would recommended it to anybody. I'm not going to give the overall rating a 5 because I believe that it would be better to have 6 months or more use out of it, but as mentioned earlier I've been riding in some muddy conditions and it will probably end up with a 5 anyway.

Similar Products Used: Shimano STX and past SRAM shifter and derailleur
Christen   Weekend Warrior [Apr 21, 2003]
Strength:

Cheap, precise shifting, fairly light, ESP system, Gripshift

pulleywheels wear quickly and You can only use SRAM pulleys

I don't know what the reviewer below has done to his rear der. All I know is that this must be one of the best entry level component groups.
I dont have much experience with shimano, but I think I know what shifting is about, and that is when you want to shift gears the system is supposed to shift. And this is excatly what the SRAM 7.0 system does.
The "difficulty" in shifting is nice when you run gripshift. I have halfpipes and I dont like shifting gears unless I want to, with the 7.0 gripshifters You simply turn the grip, and You hear a "KLACK" and then you are in the desired gear. And unless you have really weak wrists, or cables full of cement, this is not a problem at all.
If You want gripshift buy SRAM, if You want rapidfire, buy ShimaNO.
The ESP system works really great, the amount of cable you pull, is the amount the rear shifter uses to shift one gear. Really no-nonsense design.

Similar Products Used: SRAM 9.0, shimano (tried freind's)
CHris   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2002]
Strength:

none- not when you have to buy twice

crappy shifting, ugly, too much effort for shifting

This is for the shifters and the rear derailleur only.

This drivetrain sucks. Spend your money somewhere else. My Stx drivetrain was cheaper, crisper, and more reliable. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS FOR YOUR BIKE!!!!!!!! I replaced this piece of junk with a short cage Shimano XT derailleur w/stx shifters. Problem solved. Smooth now that this 7.0 crap is off. From now on, I'm stickin' with shimano, except for cassettes--that's where SRAM rocks.