Shimano 2000 XTR (v-brake) Component Group

2000 XTR (v-brake)

Mega-9 Lever Set, 9-Speed Cassette Sprockets, Rear Derailleur, Top-Swing Front Derailleur, Hollowtech Crankset, Cartridge Bottom Bracket, V-Brake, 9-Speed Chain, Hubs, SPD Off-Road Pedal

Jason Nieman   Weekend Warrior [Mar 10, 2002]
Strength:

Light weight, very well made, very smooth and accurate.

Extremely pricy (purchase and replacement parts)

This is a long term test follow up. I have been running this setup since winter 1999. After 2 1/2 seasons of use, I continue to be impressed by this group. after about 1 year, I changed out the chain. Yesterday, I did an overhaul. The only wear I could find was a little bit of hooking and tooth deflection on the middle chainring (which I cleaned up with a dremel stone and metal brush).

There is a reason all the pros, experts, etc. run XTR. The stuff just works.

Yes, it is pricy, VERY PRICY, but, it also lasts a long time. If you pay full clip, I'd pick XT (as there is not that much of a quality/performance gap) but if you are smart, you can often get the group on closeout. At $900 or less, this is the group to have.

One caveat, I note a lot of complaining about broken parts (rims, forks, etc) from a lot of reviewers. Folks, these bikes are precision instruments. Bash 'em hard, and they will break. Keep 'em clean, ride smooth, and you will get years and years of use out of the quality parts. XTR certainly fits that list. (plus it is cool as hell...)

Similar Products Used: XT, LX, blah, blah, blah.
carlos silva   [Sep 12, 2001]
Strength:

all parts works as good as new even after 2 years riding. trouble free parts.

the are japanese!

excuse me americans but none american part can beat these japaneses!! they are not the lighest parts ou there, but they work far better than the competition. every racer should buy them because as Mr.Tom Ritchey say´s : why have a lighter bike if it broke on the trail.

Similar Products Used: all shimano groups and some chris king hubs.
jay   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2000]
Strength:

CRISP shifting, braking, XTR just feels "high quality"

price, but you get what you pay for

If you can't afford this stuff don't buy it, But it made my old bike behave better than when it was new. Before I bought it, I thought it was overkill also, but geez, it is high quality product (esp. rear shifting) I like the rapid rise too! and just to p*ss all you bitter underpaid riders: I'm 15 pounds overweight and ride real slow!

Similar Products Used: various high end individual components
GTWACE   Weekend Warrior [Jun 01, 2001]
Strength:

It has XTR wordings on it

Works commonly for its price

The only good thing is the adjustability, but who needs it? Save that money for something else, like a good fork or lighter frame. Other groupset will work like XTR, maybe even better, if you can get yourself a good mechanic to adjust your groupset to PRECISION. The weight saved on XTR was not cost effective. SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR THE BETTER SOMETHING ELSE.

Similar Products Used: lx
dynamic   Weekend Warrior [Nov 28, 2000]
Strength:

yep they work

yep they work

THIS IS MY FIRST MOUNTAIN BIKE... so you may think oh yeah i don't need xtr but hey, when you buy a car you don't ask yourself "do you need it?" .. "oh sorry i wont buy the porche because i cant take it to the limits" THE BIKE IS A GT AVALANCHE because its the first nice one i saw, I used to ride bmx for many years when i was younger so i knew the feel i wanted. the xtr grouppo I HEARD IS KING!!!!

check it out www.micro-op.com.au/avalanche.htm

Similar Products Used: deore lx
D.O.H.C.150   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2000]
Strength:

Weight.
Design.
Looks. Love that gun-metal blue.

Retail price-ouch

I have the complete group minus the hubs & pedals, but I did add the remote bar-end shifter & the Flight Deck.

I built up my Tsali myself except for having my LBS install the BB & Crank Arms. The installation went smoothly until it came time to dial in the derailluers. The front was a b1tch until I discovered the LBS set up the BB improperly so then when that was rectified, the front worked great. The rear didn't work until I took an extra inch from the cable housing from between the last stop until the Rollamajig. I used Avid Flak Jackets for the cablesets. After that was done, I have been smooth shifting since. I have followed the advice of people here & have lubed the chain regularly.

I took my time, doing everything slowly & properly which has paid off with a dialed in bike & a good understanding for myself of how the grouppo works.

If you can afford it or get a good deal, then by all means do so cuz I am terribly happy with XTR.

Similar Products Used: Suntour Junk on my old Murray
Andrew   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2000]
Strength:

34 tooth cassette

less precise than 8 speed, requires more frequent cleaning and fine tuning

Although the best of the 9 speed groups, no 9 speed can compare with 8 speed. I have gone back to 8 speed and have gotten faster. Also spending less time tweaking derailleurs halfway through a ride/race. Much less chain slip/suck with 8 speed.

Similar Products Used: 9 speed XT, 8 speed LX,XT, XTR
Lee Lau   Racer [Feb 09, 2000]
Strength:

I use it, it is seen under me. The fact that this group can be associated with a top racer like myself who is in a completely different league than you gives it credibility, give it meaning, gives it reason to be.

The fact that it's not names after me. The fact that the advertising campaign does not have my picture along side it. The fact that a top racer like me does not have my picture embroided its hardware because I am the bomb baby and no I won't behaaaaave, Yah baby Yaaaaaaaa.

Well, I make this goup, it is because I am what I am and well, enough said! I use it, at least I read about it once to be honest and well, I'd like to have it, see ya later, hope one day you can rock like me cause this is Lee Lau,, super racer guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: My mothers stationary bike in the garage, a big wheel when I was 12 and a huffy I borrowed from my sister, unsure of that grouping though.
Lee Nelson   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 29, 1999]
Strength:

Weight, shift quality, brakes

cost

I'm glad I got the setup as a closeout bike package. My cost for the XTR was about $700. For that, it is definitely the best group. Action is smooth as silk and it looks great, ride after ride. (XT down just doesn't wear as well performance and finish wise). I would not pay $1000+ for the group, though.One note; keep it clean. XTR will not tolerate being dirty (at least not 9 speed). You can actually feel the quality of shifting deteriorate. Keep it clean and well lubed, though, and you will never miss a shift.