Shimano 2000 STX-RC Component Group

2000 STX-RC

STX-RC follows the tradition of XTRtm and Deore XT® with new V-Brakes® and 4-arm crankset. STX-RC's quality, advanced functions and precision operation make it one serious off-road component group.

Bernie Miranda   Weekend Warrior [Sep 02, 2003]
Strength:

Can handle heavy riders, Tough!

poor design

A Good choice for an average qulaity Bike, a good investment, it lasts and tough.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Exage / Alivio / Acera / Suntour
Oscar   [Feb 21, 2002]
Strength:

Good performing, long lasting, low manteinance, reliable. Hubs work great.

Front der has some shifting problems every once in a while. 8 speeds

They perform right for an entry level group, they are not superlight but they are sturdy. I ride daily and I'm not a soft shifter, I shift hard and I've never had the crankset problem, but my front could work better. In two years the only manteinance is a little lube and a few adjustments to cable tension, wich is easy to do. The hubs have never give me a problem and I know they were used in some higher level Cannondale Ravens (2000$ bikes!) so you think about it, same goes to the cranck set.
Overall, great entry level components, if they were 9 speeds I would never think on upgrading, since I'm not a racer and I'm not a weight freak.

Similar Products Used: shimano acera
Joe   Weekend Warrior [Sep 04, 2000]
Strength:

cheap durable

heavy slow

these are good parts for beginers, or people budget conscious

Similar Products Used: Lx
Cristian Georgescu   Weekend Warrior [Aug 31, 2000]
Strength:

Good quality, reliable, shifts fast, accessible price

Front derailleur needs some attention
Some flex in bottom bracket/crank arms

Quality product from Shimano. Shifting is very cool in all conditions. In fact, with some adjustment from time to time, it never misses a shift. Overall, the components are better than alivio even if they look alike. The pads that come stock on brakes wear out too fast, but this is probably because I have machined sidewalls on my rims (Ritchey OCR/Rock).
I didn't encountered the middle ring bending problem (probably I have a newer verison).

Justin Chambes   Cross Country Rider [Jul 30, 2000]
Strength:

Shifts fast and smootly, looks more expensive

I jam the chain once in a while, chipping paint and screwing me up

Great component group. I don't have the brakes to match the setup however, mainly because i heard that the POWERTOOLS brakes i have are much better.

Similar Products Used: SIS
MRT   Racer [Mar 10, 2000]
Strength:

- Price.
- Overall, fairly reliable (except for the crank).

- 4 arm crank middle chain ring bends very easyly during hard climbs. STX 5 arm was much more reliable. I ditched the 4 arm crank after bending two rings in three rides.
- Brakes are a pain to adjust properly, but work well once
dialed in.

Everything except the crank does what it's supposed to for the price range. In muddy conditions, my STX-RC shifting (8 speed) shifts much more reliably than my a few of the guys I ride with LX 9 spd. systems.

I would have given this group a five, considering the price, but the defective 4 arm bending crank is a joke. Several other STX-RC 4 arm systems have been returned to my LBS with the same problem.

Similar Products Used: - LX
- XT
Sapper   Weekend Warrior [Oct 11, 1999]
Strength:

smooth shifts

soft metal

The front chain ring bends very easily under hard shifting. The gearing is too high also. Many times I couldn't peddle when going downhill because of this. I talked to the bike shop and they told me it was best to just jump to the XTR model. Couldn't afford it though.

Slip_Kid   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 1999]
Strength:

Price

None yet

For the price it is a nice package. This bike has only the rear as STX-RC, the front is Nexave. Shifts smoothly so far and is also quiet. If and when it wears out there is always LX or higher stuff to be had.

Similar Products Used: Old crappy Falcon stuff
Michael Jolly   Weekend Warrior [Mar 27, 2000]
Strength:

Cheap. Has lasted well. Brakes passable with some better pads. Power adjustment on Brake lever beats 2000 Deore levers.

Middle ring is easily bent. Brakes are a pian to set up especially with Shimano Pads. Front Derailler has developed slop and isn't ideally compatable with Mega 9

Upgrade to LX brakes and above or at the very least some better pads. Adjusting STX-RC brakes is the most frustrating thing I have ever done (Eg Kool Stops) The middle ring hasn't been as bigger problem for me as others. The front derailler could do upgrading and doesn't last long. Power adjustment is great and works well. Don't run this component group with Mega 9 rear as the chain rubs on front derailler.

Gets good marks for Value though and nothing has broken for me Yet.