Shimano 2000 Deore XT Component Group

Deore XT® continues its evolution as the definitive high-performance mountain bike group. Now with Mega-9 Drive Train, Rapidfire 9 speed light-action shifters, all new V-Brake, Dual-Pull Front Derailleur, Rear Derailleur, 9 speed chain, Hollowtech Crankset, Cartridge Bottom Bracket, Hubs and SPD 434 Pedal

Mike   Weekend Warrior [Mar 06, 2002]
Strength:

Pretty cheap when found on sale. Works well when adjusted properly.

None so far. Just wish the rear cassette was lighter.

The XT group works as I expect it to. Shifting is clean & crisp when properly adjusted. No problems after a year of use. Near the same weight as XTR group.

Kris de Valle   Weekend Warrior [Feb 13, 2003]
Strength:

Easy to adjust, responsive, tight tolerance, looks sexy

Very touchy, requires adjustment.. kinda highly strung

The shifters are just gorgeous. Can't be faulted. However the 9-speed rear derailleur was sending me nuts - ghost shifts up AND down, like it couldn't make up its mind. Dropping a cog at takeoff, nasty stuff you don't want to have to deal with. I ride in peak hour traffic too so I didn't want to be weaving all over trying to recover.

Anyway, I downloaded the tech specs pdf from the Shimano website, figured it all out, made the adjustments and now it is seamless. An extension of myself. What you want, really.

So I would say it is more flighty - kinda race-bred I suppose, but once it's adjusted, it's magic.

Similar Products Used: LX Deore on an '01 GT Ruckus, Alite & Acera gear on an '00 Norco Storm
JT   [Jan 19, 2002]
Strength:

Very, very smooth shifting. The whole thing just feels solid!

Well, the RD will scratch easily if you happen to be stupid enough to ride over black ice. Since that's not Shimano's fault ... no complaints!

Bonus comes in ... bonus goes into bike to upgrade to XT. Absolutely no regrets. Given what I had before (STX), I had no doubt that I would love this component group. Now that I've recovered from the crash listed above, I've had a chance to ride this a few times and I'm more impressed than I expected. I don't expect to have to make any changes as long as I own this bike ... it's just a great product!

By the way, REI did the full component swap for me (shifters included) for only $55. It was the best deal I found by 50%!

Similar Products Used: Shimano STX
Tom   Cross Country Rider [Dec 29, 2000]
Strength:

you can save big bucks over XTR with this product and you loose little quality. Its light and stylish.

Shimano Deraliurs do not work well with 9 speed groups.One time my deraliur fell off my bike and one of the puleys came detached from my deraliur and broke in half.

Great deraliur for the money, try to use on 8 speed cog sets or less. You have to pay atention and be a smart shifter to get perfect shifts.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Acera, Alivio, Deore, LX, XT, XTR,
pedro garcia   [May 01, 2001]
Strength:

light,reliable,quick,quality,piece of mind

squeaky brakes,poor gear change position-wrong way round to go up & down.you can go down 3 but only up one-thats poor

not impressed at all. the gear change has not been well thought out--its not user friendly. squeaky brakes after only 3 days--at least it all feels like it will last a long time but disapointing is the word that keeps springing to mind. at least the frame is perfect.

Similar Products Used: deore, nexave
Jeff   Weekend Warrior [Apr 25, 2001]
Strength:

Strong, lightweight. Excellent Shifting.

Haven't found any yet

I have been using XT stuff since my first "real" bike. Shifting has always been great and consistent. Good all around value for the price you pay. Cost much less and much more practical than XTR. My older Cannondale has a mixture of LX and XT. Both perform the same but I like the XT look and style. My new SA uses a complete XT setup except for brakes and crank. Haven't tried the XT disc brakes yet soI opted for the notorious Hayes. Besides, I dont care if something is made in Japan (or anywhere else). As long as the product makes me happy, I dont care. XT is a kick ass group. Deserves five flaming chilis.

Similar Products Used: STX, LX, XTR
Danny Jones   Cross Country Rider [Jan 12, 2001]
Strength:

Its cheap. Easy to maintain.

I don't feel the quality has been put into Shimano products as much as quanity has been. The chains require extra pins if you have to take it a part. I was never really satisfied with the way the XT shifted. It seemed like I was always adjusting before I went riding. And the same holds true for all of Shimano's groups. I have had to repack the XT's hubs more than other products used. They dont seem to hold up as well in muddy or sandy situations. The Ringle's held up much better in wet conditions.

There are other products on the market. Give them a chance before buying Shimano. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

Similar Products Used: Ringle, Sram, Precsion Billet, Chris King, Sachs, Avid
saddle sore   [Oct 06, 2000]
Strength:

Durable, Not outrageously priced, shifts good

Doesn't shift as good as my old 8spd XT setup. Easliy prone to contamination

Hey it works and it has a good gear range, but after 100 miles of riding I can't help but notice that it needs more frequent tuning than 8 speed. And, after a freak snowstorm, it clogged up with ice faster than you can say "old man winter"

Obviously, the climate here is not the best for 9 speed until the snow has melted of course, 7&8 speed clogs up pretty fast too, but you could still pedal it after it clogged up, 9 speed just starts skipping like a balarena, instead of keeping one gear clean.

All in all, it is exactly what I expected, tight little package, therefore a little more fussy, but still works fast. Can't wait to wear out my cogs so I can upgrade to an XTR unit, that usually cures any shifting qualms you have.

Similar Products Used: 8 speed XT
Steve   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2000]
Strength:

Very smooth and quick shifting.
34 tooth cog.
Surprisingly good chain wear.
No ghost shifting.
No chain suck.

None so far.

After the poor reviews (ghost shifting - chainsuck) in Mountain Bike, I was really leery of buying a new bike with a Shimano 9-speed drivetrain, but it's been flawless. The bulk of my rides have been in wet, muddy, sandy, chain-sucking conditions, with not even a hint of chainsuck (I'll nevertheless be sure to grind off any burrs on the little chainring). The real surprise is chain wear - only .25% after 600 miles - virtually no wear - much less than I've experienced with any eight-speed Shimano or Sram chain. I'm guessing this must be due to the 34-tooth rear cog, which allows me to climb in the middle chainring a lot more than I used to. The larger cog and chainring must put a lot less stress on the chain. Whatever the reason, this is great stuff.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 8-speed
Phierce   Racer [Jun 27, 2000]
Strength:

Relatively Inexpensive, worx exellent in most conditions

sux like some kinda phreek when you goin over large, sharp, embedded rocks and high speeds, the chain is so thin, and has such a mind of its own...no way is it gonna stay on that big ring :/ ...shimano: I want 7 spd to return! (big chain, no probs)

OK, this gruppo is great for smoother trails...but I ride some rough singletrack all the time and I cant keep the chain on the big ring. It either jams or falls to the next ring..and I've crashed on numerous occasion becuz of this.
I have it well adjusted and use white lightning lube so no probs there. It seems to go away a lil bit when I get in the middle of my cassette instead of the smallest gear. (maybe its a slack issue with my chain) ..Im gonna keep troubleshooting, cuz I hear lotza good stuff about it, and it worx great for the most part