Shimano 2000 Alivio Component Group

Upgraded to 8-speeds this year, Alivio™ offers REAL MTB performance, elegant styling and it's totally affordable. 8-speed RAPIDFIRE® shifting with an optical gear display provides confident, quick action shifts. The powerful new V-brake has two power adjustments and M-system all weather pads. The 4-arm crank is more rigid with a bolder look. And the chain drop protector cuts down time, boosts fun time.

kavevey   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2008]
Strength:

Still running, all condition except of snow (which i didn't try). Price, Braking V-system excellent without any showoff.

People say it is heavy & has ONLY 24 gears. So WHAT!!!?? Now days professional riding single speed or 1-2 plate in front so what the big deal. Yes you can be correct saying that changing front to bigger chain wheel demand loooong action.

The most important is to find the time to ride, so work less and buy cheap but enjoy life. The important is not which kind of bike or component you have but what are you doing with this bike.

Similar Products Used: On my Seven Terese i have full XTR and Hope mini with X-fly 100mm fork. the only difference is in unlimited fire roads descent but all the rest i dont enjoy it more, except the people who are gazing at my Terese.
Kevin Ebaugh   Weekend Warrior [May 27, 2003]
Strength:

They work very well for a little while, that is until they are mangled. Ahh heres the deal: So I was riding alongon leaves and the occasional stick. Mr. Occasional stick was thrown up by my front tire into my chain. Now most of the stick broke off when it reached the cogs. Its all good, right? WELL NO ITS NOT!! A little teeny weeny piece of Mr. Occasional Stick stayed in my chain. I listened on as my derallieur, cogs, and chain mangled before my very eyes.

Uhh lets see, everything.

Run very very far away from anything with Alivio marked on them. Go for some SRAMs...

Similar Products Used: SRAMs- Ahhh- good stuff.
brando clark   [Dec 26, 2000]
Strength:

The rear derail is heavy and strong. The V-brake calipers are heavy and strong. OK it is ALL heavy and strong. The police department I work at has all Alivio on their GTs.

Heavy

There seem to be many negative opinions on Shimano products in general and the lower-end stuff in particular. The way I see it you generally get what you pay for (although I do not see much difference between LX and XT). I have mostly used shimano in my 20+ years of balancing on 2 wheels. I am not a pro, but I do enjoy all types of cycling.

Alivio are great components, but if you desire lighter parts then please pay more. The shifters are smooth and accurate. The rear derail will not fail you nor will this brake calipers. I am hard on everything I own and I have never had the enjoyment of breaking any bike part on a trail. My biggest problem is getting flats every damn ride. I think that someone buying a bike on a budget would appreciate the components as they are relatively excellent.

If you are extremly particular about your bike...why are you reading the reviews about this product? Go and ride your XTR equipped bikes and let the poor people have their fun too. So what if you ride weighs 10% more than a person who spent 300% more than you. Your legs will be stronger from the weight resistance.

Similar Products Used: SIS (ha ha) STX, DX, LX, XTR and a Suntour setup.
Eugene Teo   Weekend Warrior [Jan 12, 2000]
Strength:

Very affordable medium performance parts. Cheapest 8-speed drivetrain around. 9-speed compatible rear hub.

BB set & chains that sucks and won't last long. Ugly looking, Acera derailleurs looks so much better. Front derailleur difficult to align properly. Some bending was necessary to solve the problem.

Affordable performance parts but change the BB set & Chains for extended durability. Some tweaking necessary for front derailleur. May I suggest LX BB set(UN-52) & Chains(IG-30) as the closest replacement.

Similar Products Used: Acera, LX & XT.
Aaron   Cross Country Rider [Nov 28, 2000]
Strength:

Cheap, and the gear indicator is very clear

The cranks were shot after about 3 months of riding, shifting SUCKS, brakes are brakes.

There is no way anybody could want to buy this as a group. If you are buying a bike with this group on it, make sure you are getting one helluva deal, so that you can afford to upgrade EVERYTHING while saving money. Rather, just spend the extra money, get a slightly better bike (read, LX) and get it under your warranty. I have to adjust my derailleurs every ride and it still doesn't shift. My rear won't go into the smallest cog, and don't even think about changing front rings without a commitment. If your commuting or something, I'd buy a bike with this group, and then make it a single speed. Giving it as few chilis as possible, so people don't buy it.

Similar Products Used: nothing is this bad.
Mike   Weekend Warrior [Apr 16, 2000]
Strength:

Strong,hard to tear up

Weight and reputation

This group rocks.Nothing is more durable than Alivio.It sure adds a pound or 2 to the bike but its well worth it.Dollar for dollar this is the best buy.Also,you don't have to worry about all of that 9 speed griping and whinning either.If you want the benifits of XTR weight,get XTR.If you want something you can depend on everyday,this is what you want.

Similar Products Used: Stx,Lx Grip shift
Jesse   Weekend Warrior [Apr 17, 2000]
Strength:

Cost

front derailleur upshifts, weight

Downshifts ok... but a little too slow for that unexpected switchback on an unfamiliar trail, which pissed me off three or four times in my first ride alone... Upshifts like there's supposed to be a clutch and your not using it. I s'pose you get what you pay for, and I intended to replace this stuff when I bought the bike, so I'm not that upset.

squishy lamano   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2000]
Strength:

It's been durable.

Hasn't needed repair or replacement.

It's not a 9.

The shifters. See below.

Some people notice the weight. The crankset, for example, weighs as much as two RaceFace cranksets!

I got this group without having much of a choice. It's getting a little harder to find good bikes that are spec'd with 8-speed. Since off-roading requires the most durability, there's no way I'm going to get a fragile and weak 9-speed. They can save the 9's, 10's and, yes, 14's for road bikes.

After about 3-4 months, it's been functioning as good as my old XT/XTR 8-speed from several years ago. All it's needed is a little fine tuning now and then. I haven't yet experienced any bent chainrings or broken cog-teeth.

As for the shifters -- I've had all types and I prefer a grip-twister. After an extensive search, I only found a few low-end bikes that came with it. I'll have to install them myself later.

Similar Products Used: The new Alivio was very similar to the old XT-8
John Short   Cross Country Rider [Apr 11, 2000]
Strength:

Typical Shimano smoothness, dependability and affordability. The shifting is dead on, crisp and clean, even out of the saddle shifts are excellent and spot on!

Haven't come across any yet. (Don't think I'll be re-writing this either)

If bike riding is what you love, add in a little TLC to your equipment and Shimano will make sure you get what you want; plenty of enjoyable miles on man's greatest transportation invention, the bicycle! Where else can you not only view the beauty of our suroundings, but actually experience this beuty!

Similar Products Used: Groups on either side of Alivio and all have been excellent. Of course, if you want XTR and can only afford AceraX, don't expect XTR, but for the money and with good care and cleaning/lube, all Shimano components perform well!
George   Weekend Warrior [Mar 09, 2000]
Strength:

Cost and dependability. 8 speed with a 9 speed compatable rear hub.

Weight

A good, solid and dependable grouping in this class of components. Don't complain if you are a hard core diehard or a weekend racer as this is not the group for you. Most of the components are much better than the STX-RC and LX stuff I had just a few years ago. Performs flawlessly but wish Shimano would shave some of the weight off the crank.