Shimano 1999 RSX 7-spd Component Group

Shimano 1999 RSX 7-spd Component Group

• Dual Control Lever shifts and brakes with same lever
  • Precision SIS shifting with 8-speed rear cassette and triple option in front
  • Advanced light action design reduces friction
  • Short reach calipers with M-system pads

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 09, 2008]
    oldminiman

Strength:

I have a full RSX set up. The gears provide a smooth change although I have just renewed the 2 jockey wheels, rear cassette and chain dur to wear.

Brakes are a bit weak but adequate

A very good STI set up all running smoothly together and remaining reliable over the past 10K kilom. The set up was brought 2nd hand so I am not sure how many the chain set had done before the chain broke, a lot I think. Now all is replaced it is running well and I can see no reason to upgrade. Perhaps it is a bit dated and perhaps the levers are a bit scratched but otherwise it is good, reliable and seems cheap.

Shimano 105 Too notchy

[Jul 22, 1999]
    Gunner

Hey Ray. Why are you putting this on a MOUNTAIN BIKING site?

[Jul 21, 1999]
    Ray

Strength:

cheap
    triple crankset
    finish has held up well

heavy
    VERY weak brakes
    too small chainrings

This gruppo is a cheap way to get STI for a 2*7 or 3*7 set up. The worst parts of the group are the crank and the brakes. The brakes are so darn weak. Not up to the task of stopping me, 165 lbs, and my bike, 27 lbs, at all. I've upgraded the pads and cables but they are still wimpy. The crankset was spec'ed with too small of chainrings, 46-36-26. It should have been at least 48-38-26 or better yet 50-40-30.

[Dec 13, 1999]
    Mike Warner

Strength:

Light, precise shifting
    Cheap

Heavy
    Weak brakes

This is an awesome group for the price. I have had it for three years, and it still shifts like the day I bought it. I think it shifts better than the 105 group, which I found to be a bit notchy. My bike came with a 53-tooth big ring, but I have the triple. Evidently the double comes with a smaller ring. Brakes can be scary on long, steep downhills. I don't know if it's the pads or what. A good choice if you want a decent group, but don't want to spend alot of money.

Shimano 105
    Shimano Ultegra

[Nov 27, 1999]
    jamie

Strength:

it shifts better than XTR

it's heavy but its cheep.

This is my first road bike. I use it mainly for training for mountain bike racing but I am going to race road on it soon. I have all RSX except for the brakes and front deraileur. I have the 2 ring crank set. So far I am very satisfied with RSX. It shifts fast and smooth. I think Shimano should maybe put a bigger big ing than 52 teeth.
    With the price considered I will give this 5 dead burning horses.

no, others