Shimano 1999 Dura Ace Component Group

SHIMANO DURA ACE

Tommy Nance   Racer [Mar 02, 2001]
Strength:

Light Stiff Good looking

$$$$$$

I have used this Ace-ace all winter and the shifting is perfect. I have never had eny problems with the shifting locking up, on Dura-Ace or 105.I have never had campy so I cant say it is better or worse.

Similar Products Used: 105
Gregory   Weekend Warrior [Sep 03, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight, somewhat ease of adjustability. Nice crank finish and strong brakes. Ready availability of parts.

I am wholly unimpressed with the 2000 Dura Ace group. The shifters are pretty annoying. The small downshift lever sticks out past the side of the brake lever and is the annoying as hell on fast descents on the drops. It should be flush with the lever. Poor Q/A or design. Shifting is somewhat clunky. Setup is still easy though-typical shimano;easy to setup and adjust. Bottom Bracket design sucks!!! I cannot believe that Shimano went back to an adjusting cup and lockring. What were they thinking? Greasing the bearings again too? I wish I had considered the Campy Record sometimes, but you cannot beat the parts availability and price of Shimano. It is still the best value. I guess I expected near perfection from their top line gruppo. My 96' 600 Ultegra shifted smoother. Maybe I should have opted for the new Ultegra instead?

Still the best value for the money but dissapointed with overall lack of polish for group as a whole. Bottom Bracket is a butch set-up. Smooth w/ two sets of bearings for each cup but in the 21st Century do you really want to be adjusting a bottom bracket and greasing bearing like they did in the 60's through the 80's?

Similar Products Used: 96' 600 Ultegra
Jeff   Cross Country Rider [Jan 20, 2000]
Strength:

light
cheaper than Record
durable
shifts and brakes very well

doesn't have the looks of Record

No complaints. I perfer the Shimano levers to Campy levers. It's the best drivetrain for the price.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 105
Ken Sasaki   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 28, 1999]
Strength:

Very reliable over time. Along with the Shimano 600 series of components, the most consistently high quality of any road group over the last fifteen years.

Apparent availability of small parts, though I say this as a matter of reputation, since I have not had cause to order such myself.

I have run the original Dura Ace group on my first serious road bike since the 1970's and it still works, though in 1992, I started riding primarily on a new bike. The new bike uses a Dura Ace rear deraileur which I have crashed on several times. It still works fine. If a group lasts for more then fifteen years, thats about all you can expect.

Similar Products Used: Campy and Suntour.
Mike B   Weekend Warrior [May 08, 1999]
Strength:

The lightest road group available. Very smooth shifting, stiff forged cranks, good brake modulation and very easy to set up. Gears and brakes can be adjusted on the road without tools if this was ever needed. Excellent long (27cm) seatpost suitable for use with compact frames. Did I say light?

The bottom bracket started to creak after 500 miles, this seems to be a common problem with the Dura Ace model. It might be better to get the cartridge version which comes with the Ultegra group.

Light, strong and smooth. Far better value than Campagnolo in my opinion.

Similar Products Used: 1992 Chorus groupset, and 1998 Shimano XT MTB group. Dura Ace has been the best group I've owned or tried.
Ken Liao   Weekend Warrior [Jul 26, 1999]
Strength:

Smooth, quick shifting
Relatively light

EXPENSIVE!

Very nice groupo. Very fast, accurate shifting with smooth action. I still prefer the Campy Ergo system for sprinting. While it's easier to use the STI for most situations, it's slightly disconcerting to have a slight release in handlebar grip to reach the levers for a quick shirt. With the Ergopower setup, my thumbs almost naturally rest on the ears when I'm in the drops, making shifts much easier. Other than this minor point, it's fine system.