Shimano 1999 Acera Component Group

Acera is an MTB-style component group that offers a choice of 7 or 8-speed drive trains. Acera delivers the responsive feeling of a real mountain bike to casual riders and entry level cyclists.

Tim   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2003]
Strength:

They work. period.

They may lack a bit in strength, as I bent the derailers a few times. They were easy to get back into shape.

Everyone who complained about these not shifting correctly does not know how to set them up. I have used them on this bike (my first mtn bike) for 4 years, and have never so much as thought about replacing them. They did the job every time. They do require some maintenance and attention, but then again so do XTRs.

I have had that bike in more dirt, mud, water, weeds, and s*#@! and have never had a problem with the indicator dial that someone said to never get dirty.

They are a very good value.

paul   Weekend Warrior [Apr 03, 2003]
Strength:

cheap - price is right
and it works

it works, but not too well

its cheap, it works, not perfect, but all it really needs to do is work and it does that. i've had it for a while and it has never failed me yet, but you shouldn't expect it to be amazing. its inexpensive, and it works- but not great. i wouldn't buy them for my new bike, but they are prefectly fine for my old GT.

Similar Products Used: shimano XT and LX parts
matt   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2006]
Strength:

looks great,easily adjustable

makes lots of noise and is not very strong(broke when i fell off!!!!!)

good component for an entry level bike and it works fine however does need adjusting every so often

Similar Products Used: sis shimano,shimano deore/deorelx
Marcus   Weekend Warrior [Jul 19, 1999]
Strength:

Solid, quick response

Not sure I've found one, yet.

Great shifter. The only problems I've had, I created. I dinged up the middle & outer chain ring going over rocks & stumps I never should have. They still performed really well and after I straightened the spokes back out, are as quiet as ever. I really can't complain, so I won't.

Similar Products Used: Schimano - Alivio Rapid Fire`
Brian   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 1999]

I can't complain...they shift with no major problems, and look pretty decent. however, they do seem to be reluctant to shift with any significant pedal pressure...however whether this is due to the shifter, or my various other weak componentry, i dont know...lol

Kris Furr   Cross Country Rider [Sep 29, 2000]
Strength:

Can't say too much here. Although I hear they are cheap.

Teeth on the chainring are worn down alot more than you would expect for only having it 6 months(about 500 miles. Big prob with ghost shifting from 1st or 3rd to 2nd, you think it shifted from the clicking but it didn't. You actually need to put just the slightest pressure on the shifter again and then it goes, real p.i.t.a.

It seems I get this same stuff from all the reviews I have read on them. If your on a budget at least swap out the deraileurs for Deore. Otherwise go to Lx

Ales Slavicek   Racer [Jun 09, 2000]
Strength:

Shifts perfectly, looks cool, no need to adjust my acera even after 5500 kilometers.

may feel tricky to shift up and down at the same time

Great product for its price.

Similar Products Used: Shimano SIS
Myy   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2000]
Strength:

Cheap, Nice looking Shifters, good 2 finger brakelevers.

Heavy,

Good shifters and rear derailler, front derailler dont work
so good.

Similar Products Used: Alivio,STX rc
Zero   Downhiller [Sep 13, 2003]
Strength:

All the components of that series run smoothly and do not need maintainance or adjustment.They are strong and beautiful.

The cassete sprockets should be a litle bit lighter-but who cares?

Acera components prooved to be hard and rigid even in the roughest downhills. They don't brake easily and rarely need adjustment. There was a period that I hadn't adjusted them for 3 months!!! They DO worth the money you spend on them!!!