Shimano 1996 XTR Grouppo Component Group

Shimano XTR Grouppo

[Sep 30, 1998]
Don Conley
weekend warrior

When I bought my 98 Stumpjumper Comp, the dealer said you know this shifts backwards, it has the reverse spring. Well I nodded acknowlegement but since this is my first bike with shifting (I'm 55; we bought one for my wife also) I didn't know what he meant. Well, I like the Rapid Rise concept so well, I installed the XTR-951 on our Burley Rhumba Tandem for the downshifting ease. To me it just seems natural and hopefully we'll have a choice.

[Mar 19, 1998]
Hakim
cross-country rider

I own a ´97 Zaskar LE, equipped with the new XTR. The link between bottom bracket an cranks squeals, but the advantage is, that no bell is needed. It had been replaced two times since i bought the bike and now it´s lock-titend, but is still squealing. The front derailleur is far to complex and flexy and doesn´t shift any better than his XT-pendant. Excellent parts are hubs, brakes and levers.

[Jul 21, 1997]
M.R.

I Have The 97' XTR Group On My Litespeed Obed. (Sans The Shifters, Which Are
Grip-Shift SRT 800's-I Figured I Would Give It A Shot.) Anyways XTR Is The Best
Anyway You Look At It. It's Built The Best And Is Almost As Light As A Paul
Derailleur Setup And Functions About 100% Smoother! I Just Wouldnt Trade It For Anything.

[Mar 12, 1998]
Warren Sy
racer

I bought this second-hand HUFFY at a garage sale and couldnt believe just how fun mountain biking could be. Two weeks later, I upgraded to full XTR components on mt bike. The difference was unbelievable. I lost almost two pounds and now have a sub-35 pound bike.My HUFFY just took off! Highly recommended.

[Mar 12, 1998]
Tristan King
downhiller

The XTR is the best conpontery that is about on my trek Y-33 that I upgraded to.
This is the best investmint after mt bike and the Z-1 bommers. There is no
comparason betwen XT and XTR it ROCKS!!!!!! I am a bit of a rough rider and have
gone through 1 whole XT groupset but now with XTR I have not rooted any of it.

[Apr 23, 1996]
David Jirku
cross-country rider

I have a '96 XTR rear derailleur. As far as performance, I would say it's not above and beyond anything else out there, but, it does deliver clean and crisp shift's every time. The coolest thing about it is the lengths which Shimano took to make it lighter. Hell, even the little pulley wheel bolts are hollow!

[May 01, 1996]
Marc Basiliere
racer

have '96 XTR V-Brakes, paired with XT SL levers (XTR are unavailable as far as I can tell), and they work great. Finish & operation are excellent, only worry is many pivots=mucho wear potential. Still, worth the ~90 retail. They also work OK with Technogen Tech Lite levers, but better with Shimano. Very nice. Waiting for the SL levers...

[Apr 29, 1996]
Evan Cromer
racer

I have used the new '96 XTR and to tell the truth it is no better than the Xt. However it does require a little less maintence and looks cool. But the best way to go in '96 is to buy Sachs derailleurs, gripshift and some Hugi hubs. I ride it

[Apr 27, 1996]
Chris Corfield
cross-country rider

The V-brakes are so powerful I fell off the first couple of times I used them. They are very high priced but they do work well and are effective.

[Apr 27, 1996]
Jørn Arild Andenæs
cross-country rider

The new XTR group is the best thing Shimano has ever made. The Vector-brakes are better than all the other brakes on the market, it's more powerfull than Magura, machine tech and so on.