Shimano 1996 XT Grouppo Component Group

Shimano XT Grouppo

[Apr 08, 1999]
Larry
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Bang for the buck, crisp shifting, much less expensive than XTR!

Not as chi-chi as XTR, also heavier.

Can't beat it for the money! Great brakes and shifting, hubs hold up well, I'm happy with the 4-arm crank.If you have the money, XTR is nice, other wise get 90% of the performance at around half the cost.You really can't go wrong with XT.
4 chilis for now we'll see how it holds up this season. XTR is a little nicer and
the benchmark 5 chili group.

Some STX-RC, LX, and XTR on two previous bikes.

[Jul 18, 1997]
jerry
cross-country rider

I have XT shifters, V-brakes, derailluers, XTR 12-32 rear cassette, Race Face Crank and rings (20-32-42). Front shifting is very good although shifting up from the 20 inner is a little slow and requires a touch extra push, but its OK cause its not the standard set-up and I like the ultra-low gearing for the steep uphill singletrack. The rear shifting is very smooth and fast, the brake levers are comfortable and I'm just getting used to one finger braking. I have Chris King wheelset but for the more budget minded the XTs can't be beat. Very nice stuff although the V-brakes flop around on the studs a little, they need a nice sealed bearing.

[Jul 17, 1997]
Hrubes
cross-country rider

Just got the full group on a sweet aluminum GT frame. I can tell you one
thing....It is scarey. I can't even tell when the rear derailleur shifts.
It is so smooth and quick. There is no delay it just shifts right on demand.
At times I think the bike shifts to the correct gear before I even have finished
moving the very comfortable shift levers. The brake system is very smooth and
strong. It actually saved me from crashing into the back of a car the other day.
With the light weight, smooth shifting, and powerful braking, I give this group
5 very hot chillies!!! Nice work Shimano

[Jul 03, 1997]
kc
cross-country rider

Rock solid reliability, wicked V-brakes and pretty light too...
Basically, it's the best grouppo without a sponsorship contract! :^)

[Oct 23, 1997]
Jamie
cross-country rider

Here it is plain and simple: 1) I am a mechanic and see it all. Xt is definetly the best value for shimano parts. 2) I have a super trick bike BUT I use XT ders., brakes, and shifters. Why? Value Performance. First we know der. choces are limited, Shimano is the only way to go really (I don't like ot either but at least the sh*t works). Brakes cheap $35 a piece, work excellent and don't weigh too much. Shifters, well most people might hate me for saying it but Gripshifts sucks. PERIOD. Replacing cables takes forever! Sachs work better, if you must twist try these. Some good places to replace XT are BB, rings, HS (no threadless headsets, Shimano are *sses!).

[Nov 18, 1999]
John
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Relatively light, strong, shifts well.

chain suck (the 8 spd XT was better)

The Shimano 9 speed XT group is a very good product, the tolerances on the chain and crank are a bit too tight though and this results in excessive chain suck. The 8 speed XT group was much better. More is not better. The bike manufacturers need to band together and insisit that Shimano bring back the 8 speed groups

8 spd XT group

[Aug 16, 1999]
jamie

Strength:

good preformance to cost ratio.

sloppy brake pivots
crappy brake pads

I think these compontents are all you need for the lower catagories (I race under 17 expert i'm 14) I use all 98 XT parts. XT- shifters, brake levers, brakes,derailures,pedals. I have lx hubs and race face cranks with lz bb. I find the brake pivots sloppy but mine have never ever squealed in about 2500km. The shifters are very good and I love the levers. The casatte comes loose some times bit not I big deal. XT is not XTR by any stretch but It is good for most people. I would rate XT about a 4 1/2

LX stx rc sugino mix

[May 14, 1999]
Mitch

Strength:

Works great.

I have all XT stuff on my bike (except for the crank is a White Industries, and the shifters and cassette are LX) and it works great. Nobody has pointed out that the XTR stuff is harder to shift as XT and LX because is supposedly made for racers and experenced riders who have the right touch and so they say the XT/LX is better for inexperenced Riders. Another thing that wasn't mentioned is that the XT is tougher than than the XTR in a few ways also. The XT front hub has a bigger axle than the XTR so if I was building another set of wheels I would use a XTR rear hub (for the Ti axle) and a XT Front hub for strength. sure it doesn't match, but it is better so who cares. Also i agree with Tom about the nine speed thing. I havent used the 9 speed stuff, but do I need to? NO. Like he said it is just a gimmick and it makes your chain and the gap between cogs on a cassette more narrow, making it harder to adjust. I hope that the nine speed suff is discontinued for 2000. It will just make all the eight speed stuff obsolete. And I don't think that it is much of an advantage.

All Shimano Groups

[Mar 11, 1999]
Nat
weekend warrior

My 97 Stumper came with XT F & R derailluers, and XT Rapid Fire shifters. I installed an XT cassette on my new wheelset as well, so except for the cranks, I pretty much have an (8-speed) XT gruppo. I have no XTR experience, so I really can't say that XT is about the same as that top dollar line. However, I have ridden my bike through a lot serious mud, the kind that clings in chunks to your brake bosses, arches and chainstay area, and I can honestly say that my XTs shifted when called upon. All I do for it is a good clean up and light lube to moving parts every weekend (except the shifters of course), and immediate gross clean up after a real grungy ride. I use White Lightning on my chain too, it helps keep gunk off my cassette. XT... do your part, and it won't let you down. I don't like the brakes tho, I have Avid's AR-50s :oP

[Nov 23, 1998]
Derrick
cross-country rider

I would just like to say my 97 XT group with XTR rear D has been great to me and my life for the last year of mountain biking.Very reliable , pretty tough ,
(but fo the BB)
I can only imagine the magic of full XTR .