Campagnolo Record 10 Component Group

Campagnolo Record 10

Phil   Weekend Warrior [Feb 02, 2002]
Strength:

Very high quality,with perfect finish. Builds very easily. Shifts a little bit better than the old 9 speed Record. Shifting is very clean. Braking power is amazing, especially considering that the rear brake is single action.

I'm not sure there is one.

Better and more versitile than my DA gruppo. Of course you pay for the difference. DA is probably a better value, but Chorus is probably an even better deal. Get the medium cage rear derailleur and you can put a 13-29 casette on! Why waste money on a triple? If you can't make it with a 39/29, you probably won't make it anyway.

Similar Products Used: Record 9 speed. DA
David   Racer [Nov 17, 2003]
Strength:

Works beautifully when well-tuned, Very eye catching, light, Italian

Very expensive parts, Rear deraileur needs regular tune-ups
Cannot be scratched otherwise won't be beautifull but what would be!

A very classy and eye-catching groupset. The carbon parts are beautifully finished and are obviously light. As mentioned I'd been using many different groups from the Shimano range. Shimano is good when it's new, but after about 30 000 km the parts will not be working well at all. The Record group is very interesting. At first it is not what you are expecting it to be, but as the kays are cracked the group will get better and will work like a dream. I've done about 15 000 km on this and it is functioning 10 times better than the first day. Campagnolo wears IN not OUT. Just remember to keep fine-tuning that rear mechanism for the ultimate crispest shifts. Recomend it to everyone, from the 100km/week rider to the 1000km/week rider. Worth paying the extra over Dura-Ace.

Similar Products Used: Shimano RSX, RX100, Dura-Ace (8 Speed), Ultegra (9 speed), Dura-Ace (9 speed)
Santi   Racer [Mar 17, 2001]
Strength:

Each little screw

Maybe I figure it out when I see the next Campy Record. I don't think they can improve this.

I was a Chinano junkie and I didn't understood how the people could buy that old fashioned Italian components, but in the last three years I started thinking that maybe Campy was doing things right. Last year I tried and now I can't comprehend how I spent so many years riding japanese equipped bikes.
It is impossible to compare the crisp shifting of Record, the avalaibility of a gear for any situation, the braking quality (not just power, QUALITY), and the reliability, with Dura Ace's. It is a Ferrari against a Honda Civic. The Civic works right, but don't try to obtain the same pleasure as with a Ferrari.
Of course it is also impossible to compare that perfect finished carbon look with any other thing.
And remember Campy is bombproof. I have a friend that has a ten years old bike from Banesto Pro team and he has never put a tool on it. With Record 10 it is the same: I just adjusted the shifters when I assembled the bike. Since then, after 10.000 km I have only replaced one chain (8,000 km) and a pair of pads. So it worths what it costs. Does so Dura Ace?

Similar Products Used: Shimano Cura Pace
Rob   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 2000]
Strength:

Light weight, high tech, attention getting, smooth, crisp shifts.

Loud freehub, potential for expensive crashes

My dream bike is complete and this gruppo is the icing on the cake. Yes, it's expensive, but so far is worth every cent. I only race a little, mostly club rides and solo jaunts. I don't think I'd do this for a crit bike as the risk for damage (and very costly replacement) is too high. Nothing looks as good on a bike as this new package, with the carbon derrailer link and ALL those gears. I got the 11-21 which is a perfect upgrade from my old 13-21 7 speed. Not too many hills where I ride. My first Campy and I'm sold!

Similar Products Used: Shimano ultegra
Robert   Racer [Jan 23, 2000]
Strength:

Fast shifting, Wide ratios (12-25 cassette kicks), Eye candy

Price

It's everything I hoped for in a group. The Ergo shifters are far superior to the STIs that I'm used to. Tons of trim control on the front derail. I'm interested to see how long that thin chain lasts.

Similar Products Used: Shimano RSX, Ultegra
Matthew Miller   Racer [Mar 27, 2001]
Strength:

EVERYTHING! That is there not to like about finely crafted italian parts?

Let me know when you guys find one

This is the best of the best I mean where can you go wrong? This stuff works so much better and will last so much longer than shimano. I mean I work in a shop and I have never seen 10 year old Dura Ace but I see 10 year old Record fairly often. It shifts great and will last forever. It is a bit expensive but nice things cost money.